Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2015

Torn between two themes

mrs_w_to_be, 13 of August of 2014 at 23:50 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi Everyone

I'm hoping to get some input from other brides as I'm really confused! Since I got engaged, I've had a very clear picture in my head of how I want things to look. I wanted a coral colour scheme - everything coral and white, the men in grey suits with coral ties, very simple white cake with coral flowers. I wanted everything to be elegant, simple, clean, classy, pretty... You get my drift!

Then yesterday I stumbled on some pictures online of a carnival themed wedding. And now I really like it! I'm thinking different coloured bridesmaid dresses (I have six, so two in each colour from yellow, pink and turquoise), everything bright colours, sidestalls with fairground games, candy floss stall, fortune teller - really different, but fun!

I like it but it's hard to get my head round it when it's so different to what I've always imagined. I suppose I have to think do I want our guests to leave thinking "that was a really beautiful wedding" or "that was really unusual, I've never been to a wedding like that before!)

I'm terrified of making a decision, getting really far into the planning process and then feeling like I've made the wrong choice! Any advice would be great

Thanks Smiley smile

7 replies

Latest activity by mrs_w_to_be, 14 of August of 2014 at 17:48
  • H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

It is easy to change your mind when you realise what is out there!! Personally, I love the carnival idea, it givea you a hell of a lot of leeway when it comes to colours, decor, entertainment etc. Rather than desperately scouring the Internet to find everything in a matching coral colour.

What I suggest is to make 2 Pinterest boards, one for each theme, add to them and see which one gets your heart racing!!

• MrsHertfordshire
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsHertfordshire ·
    • Hide content

Ok elegant is very different from carnival.

I would really think about things considering both options for things like: what your Other Half thinks, budget, location, personalities amongst your joint family and friends, season when your getting married

i know so many people want to stand out and be different but if ultimately with that many different suppliers for stalls, games, rides - finding SPACE for all this - it can be 100% stressful and very pricey!!

Really think on this - as I thought fun first too, but in my head I thought I can put MY fun in this and someone would find it "a joke" in a bad way, un-wedding and generally just not get it and see it as a party/ carnival rather than a legal commitment or I could put on my attempt at traditional and people enjoy our wedding celebration for all faux pars they may spot on the day (I'm not having a veil or receiving line)

But I say if it suits you both, go for it - can't wait to hear your plans through this process xx

• ClaireyLou85
    Beginner July 2016
    ClaireyLou85 ·
    • Hide content

A carnival theme? Well, there's another one for my list!!! ?

I am torn between a very classic, elegant traditional theme in green, and having a 'vintage' wedding.

I did find a green vintage style dress, but, even though I have NEVER had an idea of a wedding dress I now want a full length one with a veil. And lots of lace. Lots and lots of lace...

I've got just under two years though, so I guess I don't have to panic yet!!

Have you used the mood boards on this site? Make up a couple, print them, pop them up in your loo and take a look every time you're there. Smiley winking

xx

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I was originally thinking of a carnival theme but my oh was fully on board with it and it seemed like it could get a bit complicated getting everything together plus I didn't want it to be too over the top. I've gone for pastel colours with no real theme because it's a lot easier!

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    mrs_w_to_be ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone!

I've been using Pinterest and moodboards a lot... The only thing is with the carnival theme most pics online tend to be red and blue colour scheme. As OH supports Everton and my family are all big Liverpool fans, we agreed we wouldn't have either of these colours for our wedding! So everything I'm looking at for the carnival idea I know I would need to tweak slightly. I don't mind at all, I think it would be really exciting, it's just that boards aren't quite as effective as I can't get a clear picture of exactly what to expect!

I've seen some great DIY ideas that look really fun and inexpensive. My favourite was instead of a table plan, a hook-a-duck game with guests names on the top of each duck, they have to find their duck and hook it to get their table number from the bottom Smiley smile

So although we would need to spend money on hiring things for this theme, there is a lot we could do ourselves and there are other areas where we would save. For example, if we were having an ice cream cart and a candy floss cart, I wouldn't bother with desserts after the meal and just open these up straight away. It's worth mentioning we decided from the beginning we didn't want a 3 course sit down meal and wanted something more relaxed, so we've already booked to have a BBQ! I think that would tie in nicely with the theme!

HertfordshireB2B, we are getting married at a golf club with a lovely outdoor space and a marquee reception, so space won't be an issue. It's in August so hopefully the weather won't be terrible (although having outdoor stalls, it would be disappointing if it rains). My main issue is as you said, what our guests would think. Would older relatives "get it?". But then I think it is OUR day! Also I don't really like being the centre of attention so having lots going on would take some of the focus off me!!

Thanks xx

(Just to point out, incase anyone is wondering why I'm having a big wedding if I don't like being the centre of attention haha - we were originally planning to get married in Florida but it just hasn't worked out, main reason being my dad's health. He couldn't fly that far and it's more important for me to have him there!). But that's another reason I thought the theme might be nice, if we can't get married in Florida as we wanted we could give the day a bit of an American twist Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

The way you are chattering on about this carnival theme speaks volumes to me.... You want it more I reckon!

With the duck thing (which by the way is a great idea), all you need is a cheapy Argos paddling pool, loads of rubber ducks from China and some hooks from B&Q, I bet you could do that for cheap as chips!!

The olds will get it, they have been to a funfair/carnival before at some point in their lives I am sure, and no-one can turn their noses at a great atmosphere, no matter what the theme!!!

• L
    Curious August 2015
    Leah3425 ·
    • Hide content

Wow a carnival theme, that's great!

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    mrs_w_to_be ·
    • Hide content

HeavyMetalMaiden - I think you might be right! Decision made I think Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics