Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Totally OT - how long to cook chicken curry in the slow cooker?

25 March, 2011 at 09:44 Posted on Planning 0 13

I have a new toy - a slow cooker!

My sister has given it to me without any instructions or anything. I obv know what they do but I dont know how long is long enough for anything to be cooked in there?

I want to do chicken curry. Do I out chicken in raw or do I brown it 1st? How long do I leave it in there?

Thanks in advance!

13 replies

Latest activity by Houdini, 27 March, 2011 at 12:02
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Brown slightly first my love then chuck it in for 4-6 hrs!!

• L
    Beginner
    LJO ·
    • Hide content

I normally chuck everything in raw and leave for a good 6 hours ? but it will be cooked after about 3! Just find the longer you leave stuff in there the better it tastes! If you can wait after it starts to smell......hee hee

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Never done a curry in the slow cooker but do stews quite a lot so surely the prinicple will be the same?!? I dont brown the meat for stews, just whack everything in raw and turn it on before i go to work, it should say in the little book you get with the slow cooker how long things take in it and i go by the principle that the time in the book is the minimum and any longer is a bonus!

Hope that helps a bit!

• L
    Beginner
    LJO ·
    • Hide content
  • Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Probably a little too late now but I have a gorgeous chicken korma recipe that I will type up and fb you soon!

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OOoooh RaeF, would you put it on here as well? Korma is my fave and I'd love to have a bash at it myself....especially if I can be lazy and leave it cooking in the slow cooker while I hitch!!?

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

Yum Yum, are you accepting random Hitcher guests?????

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Please post your recipe Raef love a good curry and never thought to do one in the old slow cooker

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I love slow cooking. I tend to brown and season the meat and veg/onions first then leave on low for hours to cook. The longer the more tender the meat usually.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Chicken Korma

Makes 6 - 8 servings

• 60ml canola oil
    • 1 yellow onion
    • 2 cloves garlic
    • 2 inch piece fresh ginger
    • 2 inch piece cinnamon stick
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 tblspn coriander
    • 1 tspn ground tumeric
    • 1/2 tspn cayenne pepper
    • 1/2 tspn ground cumin
    • 375ml chicken broth
    • 250ml canned tomato sauce
    • 1 tblspn sugar
    • salt
    • 1kg chicken breasts cut into strips
    • 125ml buttermilk
    • 90g cashew nuts
    • 3 tblspns fresh coriander

Warm the oil, add the onion and saute until it begins to soften. Add the garlic, ginger, cinnamon, bay leaves, coriander, tumeric, cayenne and cumin and saute until the spices are fragrant and evenly coat the chopped onion. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, sugar and salt and deglaze the pan, stirring and scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Bring to the boil.

Transfer the broth-spice mixture to the slow cooker. Add the chicken strips and stir to coat. Cover and cook until the chicken is very tender and the sauce is thickened. Roughly 3 hours on the high setting, 6 on the low.

About 15 minutes before the chicken is done, combine the buttermilk and cashews in a blender and blend until the nuts are finely pureed and combined with the buttermilk. Add to the slow cooker and continue cooking until the sauce is completely heated through and thick. Remove and discard the bay leaves and cinnamon.

Garnish with the fresh coriander.

• MrsPenguin
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsPenguin ·
    • Hide content

Haven't had one for years, but If the chicken is on the bone, then would leave for at least 2 hours, if its not, then an hour shoudl be ok. I would brown it first, but only because i like the cripsy bits! I wouldn't use chicken breast as it would get too dry, but thighs would be lovely in a curry - yum yum!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

? for those that wanted the recipe

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics