Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

CornishBride89
Beginner October 2015

Traditional fruit or sponge cake?

CornishBride89, 27 of May of 2015 at 12:01 Posted on Planning 0 8

I just wanted to know what the general consensus is.

We're going for three different flavours of sponge because we both hate fruit cake, but my OHs parents want to add a small traditional layer! (My FMIL is making the cake)

I guess we could have both?

8 replies

Latest activity by Teal, 27 of May of 2015 at 19:22
  • Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

We are having sponge cake because it tastes better and OH hates fruit cake. You could definitely have both, but I would expect the fruit tier to have to go on bottom as it would be a lot heavier than the sponge cake (unless you separate the tiers anyway)? (Correct me if I'm wrong, just my thoughts)

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I think the perception these days is that people don't like fruit cake - but I do, as long as it's not dry. If it isn't costing you any more and you don't mind in terms of the look of the cake, I say do it - worst case scenario is nobody else likes it, in which case presumably your FMIL will take it home and eat it herself!

• CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

It's a good point about fruit cake being heavier. She was going to make a little one and put it on top. I might suggest she just have it separate. I definitely don't want it as the biggest bottom layer!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

No one can see inside your cake, so they'll never know what it's actually made of. have a fruit cake cutting bar out back Smiley winking

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

How about a fruit cutting bar cake instead?

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

Both me and OH hate fruit cake - so will be having different flavour sponges. If FMIL is happy to do it then I personally wouldn't mind as long as it was in addition and wasn't replacing a flavour we would want. Agree with what others have said about it being heavier though - may be worth looking into!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I like fruit cake, but think it's a bit heavy.

We're serving our cake as a dessert course at the wedding breakfast, so people will already have full bellies Smiley smile So we're having two tiers of sponge (honey and chocolate), made by my H2B's grandma's.

My FMIL has said she would like to make us a small fruit cake tier, and she does a very nice fruit cake, so I thought - why not? We can always offer it as an alternative to the sponge or save it for our first baby's christening (tradition!).

Both is the way forward.

• Asmurfette
    Beginner September 2015
    Asmurfette ·
    • Hide content

We are having both... 3 tiers, bottom will be fruit.. both me and OH prefer fruit cake and we like the idea of saving a tier (tbh OH will demolish it in no time and i sense really he just doesn't wanna share it) ... we realise most people prefer sponge so the other 2 will be sponge...

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

As already mentioned, the fruit one will need go as the bottom layer, unless you are using a cake stand like the ones in the pics. That way, the little top layer could be fruit and the others sponge. Otherwise, the separate cutting fruit bar is a great idea. I'm not a fan of fruit cake (I hate marzipan) but would eat it if no other option.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics