Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner July 2013

Transport for bridesmaids

PaintedHales, 13 of December of 2012 at 12:39 Posted on Planning 0 14

Yo brides,

So, I have booked a lovely VW camper to take me and my dad to the church and then me and my husband (which he will be at that point aghhh) back for the reception. As the church is only a 2 minute drive from my folks house and we are having the reception at their house too, I wasn't fussed about having a car as its such a short journey but it was one thing OH really wanted. Anyway, the camper only seats 5 so no room for my bridesmaids to come with me and my Dad and I am a bit miffed at the thought of spending another 350 quid on a car just to take them there too.

Anyone got any good cheap transport ideas or would you be miffed as a bridesmaid if you had to go in an ordinary car? I'm honestly not being a cheapskate, part of me thinks its a waste of money but then I think, its only this one day and they are all special to me.

What do you guys think? What are you doing for transport?

Cheers,

14 replies

Latest activity by NathalieSB, 17 of December of 2012 at 13:21
  • Flukey35
    Beginner July 2013
    Flukey35 ·
    • Hide content

I've been a bridesmaid where I've hitched a lift from a kind guest before now and certainly wasn't fed up about it, I've also gone in the nice car which was lovely.

Why don't you speak to a local taxi firm, they may have a "nicer" car which you could book for your maids, it will certainly work out cheaper.

Or maybe one of your guests would do the honours if they have a nice car, I know I certainly wound't mind helping out, in fact I'd be delighted to be asked to help.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I personally wouldn't be happy paying out for a second car. Can the camper not take your bms to the church first (as it is nearby) and then come back for you and your Dad? This is what we are doing with our wedding car. It's only a few mins drive from my parents house to the church so will take my mum and the bms first and then come back for me and my Dad. After the ceremony it will take me and OH to the reception, and the bms will have to hitch a lift with other guests!

• Alice_In_Wonderland
    Beginner March 2013
    Alice_In_Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

We're doing our transport cheap! ?

My dad has a sports car, which he's driving me in to the wedding, and my grandad has a big old Rover that a friend of his is driving my mum & the bridesmaids in. OH has to make his own way there with best man & usher! ? lol

After the ceremony, me & OH are going to the venue in the Rover, & my dad is going to pop home for his campervan (like you, only a few mins away from church!) to take mum & bridesmaids to venue. Best man & usher will be lift-blagging!

I am being a cheapskate, and I'm not ashamed! ? lol
    If it wasn't for my dad having the campervan, the bridesmaids would be lift-blagging to the venue as well!

• P
    Beginner July 2013
    PaintedHales ·
    • Hide content

You know what, I never even thought about the car dropping them off first and then coming back to get me. Would make sense as its so near. Only thing that I would worry about is the guests seeing the car before my big entrance as its quite a statement (woah my first bridezilla moment there!) I will deffo look into taxis too, maybe they could put ribbons on a black cab or something for a little extra. Its literally a 5 min walk to the church, so I might get them all a pair of trainers or stick them in a trailer on a beanbag - Gavin and Stacey style. Smiley smile

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha! But won't your guests be inside the church when you arrive anyway?

• S
    Beginner September 2013
    Snc12 ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at chauffeur services? I am going to be using a chauffeur company who normally deal with 'professional' people, taking them to meetings or airport pickups etc. it is an S class Merc and is only costing about £100.00

• P
    Beginner July 2013
    PaintedHales ·
    • Hide content

I never even knew there was such as thing as a chauffer service but will def be checking that out! See thats why i need you lot!

And Cinders - I don't trust my family members to be anywhere they should be - they will all be outside getting a last fag in when I arrive probably!

• S
    Beginner September 2013
    Snc12 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am not too sure where you are based but Ian in Halifax and the cars I have got are coming from Bury, so not exactly local but they aren't charging anything extra for that x

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Bridesmaids arriving before the bride also helps the photographer....

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

I'm going with my bridesmaids in a taxi so I hope they won't be miffed! Bridesmaids first sounds like the best option. If you have 2 separate cars you would usually have them arrive first anyway.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Taxi?

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Black cab? or you can get white ones.

Our VW camper only seated 6 so the smallest flower girl came by car. We stopped at the top of the driveway so that she could get in. (as we were on a private road it wasn't illegal for her not to have a seatbelt on. It was only for 100 yards but at least we all arrived together)

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

As I only have a 4 mile one way journey I'm not even paying out for a car for myself! My Bro's friend has a nice Jag & I think I'll be taken in that. One of my Bridesmaids has a nice BMW & her hubby is taking the OH in that. Another Bridesmaid has offered to drive herself there & can take another 4 with her. I think my Step Dad will take another 4 which only leaves 2 (which includes my Daughter) & I bet my Father in Law will happily take them.

My friend sent us to the church in her car first then it went back for her x

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Posh taxi? Friend with some kind of smart black car?

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Getting the camper to do two trips sounds like a great way to do this economically. When we get asked to do multiple trips, we have on occaision asked for a mobile number of a guest who will already be there or a wedding planner / best man etc. We then call them whilst round the corner and get them to usher everyone in before arriving - this way nobody see's the lushmobile and her passengers before the bride has "tied the knott"!!! I have even left the camper around the corner and personally ushered people inside for a previous wedding so as not to spoil the suprise. It might be worth enquiring about - I am sure your camper company would be delighted to help in any way that they can! Us camper folk are a nice bunch! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics