Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Snailsandsushi
Beginner March 2014

Transport - why is it so expensive??

Snailsandsushi, 4 of February of 2014 at 12:57 Posted on Planning 0 7

Help please!

I'm basically looking for a glorified taxi service to take me from A to B on the day - no extra services, no photos needed, not fussed about the make and only for a single journey totalling 3 miles - but the cheapest quote I can find so far is £250!!

Has anyone been in a similar situation and found a cheaper alternative? Would a normal taxi be ok? I'm just worried about it being clean and not looking too tacky?

All advice and suggestions welcome!!

7 replies

Latest activity by CrazyRatLady, 4 of February of 2014 at 14:21
  • Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

I'd call up your local taxis cab and talk to them. If you tell them its a wedding they could probably organise it to be a nice black cab and make it clean, i know they clean them regularly so I think its very doable. and it could be for much cheaper

• cass_b
    Beginner April 2014
    cass_b ·
    • Hide content

Yep, we were the same, 2 old cars were going to cost £750, which to me is money we couldn't justify, so we are using my parents Mercedes for our wedding car and roping in two friends who have Audi's to drive the bridesmaid, the cars will have ribbons on and it will be nice to see a familiar friendly face on the big day!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Have you checked Addison Lee? Failing that I would just get a cab - don't tell them its a wedding or they will hike the price!

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Try some local vintage car clubs. when my daughter was finishing school a few of her friends contacted the local sports car clubs and got a few cars drive them to school lol

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Miss2MrsinMay ·
    • Hide content

I was in the exact same situation as you before my friend very kindly sorted out a wedding car for me as a wedding present.

I enquired with a local taxi firm and they said they did an 'executive taxi' for £60, they'd make sure it was clean and put a couple of ribbons on a standard car which didn't have 'taxi' emblazoned on the side of it, that's the cheapest I found and I would have gone for this option. Otherwise the cheapest quote I was given to go 3 miles by a wedding car company was £150 which I still wouldn't pay!!

• emjjarvy
    Beginner September 2014
    emjjarvy ·
    • Hide content

Just a thought, have you tried searching for chauffer service or luxury taxi service instead of wedding cars? Our work use one for collecting customers from the airport etc, is always a nice merc or something and the driver is dressed smartly in a suit. Would be a lot cheaper than a wedding car, but nicer than a standard taxi

• Snailsandsushi
    Beginner March 2014
    Snailsandsushi ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the responses so far - local taxi firm is looking like the most viable option.

Emjjarvy - I really thought that would be the case too, but I've had quotes from a couple of 'executive hire' companies and they were still charging £200 minimum which seems like such a waste for what we're looking for

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We thought the same as we are on a tight budget and are only going about 5 miles. Our friends have just finished doing up a Camper Van and have agreed to let us use it for free!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics