Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner April 2013

Travel Vouchers as wedding gift wording

Eles11, 2 October, 2012 at 12:10 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi All,

We have booked our honeymoon with Thomas Cook and would like to mention in our invites if people would like to buy us a gift we would appreciate Thomas Cook gift vouchers. I have seen various poems to include however I would like to word it in a quirky way.

Has anyone seen or used this - I'm not that creative! I'm thinking something along the lines of...We want you to drink, dance ...blah blah blah....that's as far as I've got!

Any thoughts would be great! x

15 replies

Latest activity by Debs12xx, 10 October, 2012 at 00:00
  • natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

I googled it for ours and got 5 or 6 that I liked, then used bits of each to put one together.

Ours was...

To celebrate our wedding you may wish to buy us presents

However this is not required, all we want is your presence

If you insist, we must admit, some money would be great

To help us have a honeymoon at a later date.

Regardless of which choice you make, all we would like to say,

is come along and have some fun, on this, our special day!

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not a fan of poems, they make me cringe.

If you want to ask for vouchers then simply do that.

Exactly this on your invites.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Fergo. Poems are horrible. However you phrase it you are still asking for something. I know as a guest I'd appreciate being asked outright rather than in some fancy dressed up way. Also from experience the majority of our guests asked us what we'd like or if we had a gift list so I don't think it's necessary to mention presents at all in the invite.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Except as a guest, I don't even like a direct request (although admittedly better than wordy embarrassed paragraph or cheesy poem).

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if Thomas Cook do something similar but our daughter and son-in-law opened an account with Trailfinders and they had a pre-printed small leaflet giving everyone the details of how, if they wished to, donate to their honeymoon fund. They will issue as many as you like for each guest and they print them with the names of the Bride and Groom on and the date of the wedding. Much less cringeworthy than a poem!

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

I also find poems quite cheesy. We used this:

As we are already living together we have decided not to compile a traditional gift list. However, we are heading off on our Honeymoon to Mexico and any financial donations toward this would be gratefully received. Please do not feel obliged as its your company we want.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Great thanks everyone for making me feel stupid! We thought the poem was quite sweet!

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

Well its all down to personal preference, if you like the poems then use a poem.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, didn't mean to offend. The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine. I think the topic of gifts/asking for money etc always gets a mixed and sometimes heated reaction on here. But each to their own and if you like poems, use one and vis versa Just don't expect everyone to share your opinion.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha I know, just words such as 'cheesy', 'cringeworthy' and 'horrible' doesn't fill me with hope at how our invites were received!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

It doesn't bother me how an invite is worded for any occasion I am happy to be invited!

Direction for gift giving can be helpful, this being said I would normally ask outright what they wanted if they say nothing they will get cash!

Allbeit this is different when you don't really 'know' the person all that well- e.g this Friday we are off to my fellas work collegues 50th- I have never met the lady and my boy is rubbish at gift ideas- luckily he knows that she like wine!

• sarah8286
    Beginner June 2014
    sarah8286 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Im not sure when you booked this or when it is for, but thomas cook dont sell vouchers as of the 1st of oct. I know this as im a travel agent for them and was planning on asking for them too for xmas presents etc ready for me to book my honeymoon when my brochure comes out next year.. we are hopefully going to get something in place (i think they might bring out a gift card) but for the time being your guests wont be able to buy the vouchers... just didnt want you to print all your invites to suddenly get told by your guests when they try to buy them xx

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

It's so British us not wanting to say what we really want to say!

I read somewhere that you arent supposed to mention anything about gifts in the invite, and instead to wait to be asked, or prep your parents who may be asked. We haven't registered for anywhere because, to me, it implies that you are only wanting those gifts and not anything else. Also, I guess we have all we need, so we would be asking for things for the sake of it. My Mum has got us some "best" cutlery, which she insisted on, my grandparents are getting a crystal cut vase (traditional type gift). I have replied with something I know the askee would be comfortable buying, or just said vouchers etc. To be honest, we will be thankful for whatever anyone gives us, and I intend to do handwritten thank you cards for people, and if they have given money or vouchers, say what we will use them for or relay to them down the line what we bought.

Oh, and OH said some of the boys at work wanted to club together to buy us a title of Lord and Lady (technically Laird). I said no, lol. That is not a gift we want!

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I don't feel comfortable asking for ANYTHING.

Even a poem, or the wording if *if you insist on getting us a gift then we'd like some money* implies, we want you to give us some money. When I have had these sorts of invitations, I always fret about how much to give, and sometimes I don't want to give any, but feel I have to. (I'm someone who normally makes presents)

We thought about it, and decided that anyone who wants to get us a present will anyway, and anyone who asks what we want, we'll ask them to DO something for the wedding (our mega budget wedding) like help make bunting, bake a dessert for our puds table, or help decorate the room.

We are putting in our invitations that we don't have a wedding list and if people must buy us something, then a J&D on the day would be most welcome (with two straws, mind). Personally, I feel saying 'if you insist on getting us something, money would be gratefully received', kinda sounds like *we want some money please*. I'd love loads of money but I certainly don't expect people to give me any, and I certainly won't ask for it. I just can't bring myself to do it!

• Doliuk
    Beginner June 2013
    Doliuk ·
    • Hide content

Hi I think you may be mistaken, ive just been on the Thomas Cook website and the vouchers are still there to purchase https://www.voucherexpress.co.uk/VERSE/thomascook/index.aspx

• D
    Beginner October 2013
    Debs12xx ·
    • Hide content

We aren't compiling a list anywhere or asking for anything for presents, we are going to be setting up a just giving page via Macmillan Nurses (they do it for you) and telling people that if they really want to do anything they can donate as much or as little as they like to that. We don't need or want anything and like others I cringe at the thought of asking for anything for ourselves so if a charity can benefit from people's generosity then that's fine by me. I hate even getting presents on birthdays lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics