Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner December 2013

'Treasure the dress' photoshoots

Snowrose, 4 of July of 2014 at 13:11 Posted on Planning 0 22

Okay, so thanks to InkedDoll’s excellent ‘what didn’t you know about weddings post’ I have now learned about ‘treasure the dress shoots’.

I’ve done a search but couldn’t find any related threads, so I was wondering if anyone had done one of these shoots and what the general feeling about them is.

I love our wedding photos, but there aren’t many of just me and my groom (totally my fault; our lovely photographer wanted to do more but I was tired and wanted to sit down to dinner after all the family/friends shots). I also don’t have many of me without my veil and bolero on as I didn’t take it off until after our ‘tog had left (something I regret now).

I’ve no idea if my husband would even go for it, but would love to hear about people’s experiences of these types of shoots – what are they like, what did you do with your hair/make-up and how long after the wedding did you do it?

Or is it just a daft waste of money and I should be happy with the lovely photos I have already?!

22 replies

Latest activity by xoxoxo2017, 8 of July of 2014 at 19:10
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I won a shoot from a HIB on here and loved it - we did ours a month after the wedding and I love the relaxed feeling of our second set of photos. We had some photos in normal clothes and then put our wedding gear on again and went to the beach.

Sorry got a bit flash happy!!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I don't see the point? It's a wedding dress so you wear it for your wedding and that's it?

Really beautiful pics Mrs C but I still don't see the point haha.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I think that they are a fantastic idea -- so much so that I include it with every wedding at no extra charge and to save time I do it on the same day as the wedding also?

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Strangely before Hitched I did know about trash the dress shoots cos I'd seen them on rocknrollbride. Not that I would do it with my actual wedding dress, but they look like fun!

• M
    Beginner April 2015
    Mrs-S-to-be ·
    • Hide content

My tog includes it because on the wedding day you're so busy he can't take you away for a couple of hours - he still gets some incredible shots but the ones after (he calls it a post shoot) are like artwork because there's no restrain on time or location!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

If I were going to wear my dress for a photoshoot again, I think it would be a "trash the dress" shoot. I love some of the shots I've seen from those - I'm just a little unsure whether I want to wreck my dress. Maybe I'll get a cheap copy from an eBay seller to use instead...

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Never heard of trash the dress either!

I just planned on putting it away in my wardrobe for all eternity after my wedding day....

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MrsDub2b ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I could trash my dress either....

My 19yr old daughter asked me to save my dress for her as she loves my dress :-) that's a lovey compliment but I know she will eventually want her own :-)

y

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

After seeing Mrs C's photos, I think I'm going to look into having one of these shoots.

Again, due to not really having the opportunity to do any shots with just me and the husband. We were very rushed for time, and I felt like I was begging to take more photos and being ignored a bit - when I asked, only one would be taken and then that was it, when I wanted a whole series taken.

We don't seem to have many sweet or romantic shots, which is what I was hoping for, rather than 'here's us standing next to a hedge with these friends'.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Then you have to have some done then, as you say you missed out on the day through no fault of your own, can you not have them done back at your venue so that at least it will blend in with your wedding photos, just a thought.?

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

That thought has crossed my mind Bruce about going back to our venue. Plus, believe me, I HAVE been clocking which of the wedding photographers who post on here might be in my area, so that I can get in touch about a weekday shoot once I convince the husband (sadly, not your area Bruce). Husband is not anti the idea, but we need to get quotes before making a decision, as I'm thinking about hair and makeup costs again also.

Our original photographer was a friend of my husbands. Whilst lovely, and a great photographer, it made it damn awkward to say "but I want xxxx, and no one is listening to me".

Edit: for right name Bruce, soz.

• B
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's the trouble isn't it, when its a friend you don't want to upset them? Oh I don't do them any more because of the time involved the price would be high so I don't even push advertising them if you know what I mean?.

I just think the couple shots on the wedding day are some times the most important for a couple to have, its a shame because a lot of photographers that call themselves documentary/reportage do so because its a easy way out of having to learn how to pose someone in a natural way.?

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm also sure you're smart enough not to offer voluntary wedding photography in your position Bruce. It can create more problems than it solves I think.

I'm hankering for a 'treasure the dress' shoot where someone has the ability to 'pose' me in a natural romantic way, LOL. It's completely impossible to know what to do as a normal human being standing next to your new husband, if you've no prior experience of photo shoots!

If I do manage to get a follow up shoot organised, I'll come back and share it with you lovely Hitchers ?

• B
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? Well actually I did a wedding this year for a couple who had lets say special circumstances and yes they were a friend of a friend which I don't normally do but I felt I had to do it for them, it only took 6 hours total including processing anyway, that was my good deed for this year done? I think some times its not all about trying to make money but try to do some thing nice for people, karma, it doesn't cost any thing to be nice.?

Yes come back and show us, you will find some one if not let us know and I am sure some one on here will point you in the right direction of a photographer that knows what they are doing.

Did you try to search for "engagement shoots" that would be a better term that should find you some photographers that know how to pose you.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

It does seem sometimes that the "documentary" or "natural" mantra has created an environment that has allowed for anyone to set up a website and call themselves a photographer - but there is the danger that you have spent so much on the dress and hair and makeup - you feel fantastic and then look through the photos and realise that there are no photos properly showing the whole of the dress or train.

Look at some websites and blogs and you will see endless photos of details and of feet,tops of heads - you will see anything and everything yet none of the hardest thing to shoot quickly which is a bridal portrait.

lets not be shy of the word "posed" as an experienced wedding photographer will get those full length bridal portraits for you very quickly and without fuss.

For me with the groom looking on at his beautiful bride they are my favourite parts of the day and as the dress is placed and the bride relaxed it could be the first time that the groom has even had a chance to step back and look at his bride properly too.And you wont be away from your guests as 10mins max is all I need.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw that is so sweet!

The more I think about it, the more I want a trash the dress shoot with one of my fave togs (who is sadly out of my budget for my wedding) - but I'll definitely use a cheap copy from eBay or Etsy instead of my actual dress.

• Sarah Ellen Bailey
    Sarah Ellen Bailey ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of both! Personally I hate taking couples away from their wedding guests for photographs so keep that bit as short as is reasonably possible... They want to enjoy their guests and their party, and their family and friends want to spend the day with them. No one wants to spend hours on photos. The down side though is that you don't always get enough time or the opportunity to get the photographs that you might like to. A wedding is a busy day generally so it makes a bit of sense to spend a bit of time after getting a bit more value out of the dress. I also love the idea of taking it out into the 'real world'... bride on the high street, couple on the beach... sounds like a wicked day! I'd be completely game if anyone fancies a go locally Smiley smile

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

Sarah, I'd totally be up for that! Unfortunately, I don't have my wedding dress yet lol (well, I have the wedding dress from my first wedding, but don't think OH would be particularly happy if I had another shoot in that dress).

• xoxoxo2017
    Beginner May 2017
    xoxoxo2017 ·
    • Hide content

Im not sure if this will come under "treasure the dress" but I'm very fotunate to have a room in my venue that has a beautful, elegant, sofa (the sort you'd see marylyn monroe on!) and I'm going to ask my TOG if we can take 10 or 15 mins at some point to go off and have a treasure the dress, but not just f me posing.... close ups of the detail, the back, the viel etc

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep that sounds like a great idea, most of the detail dress shots I find can be done at the getting ready time and is one of the reasons I like to start then.

Heres a sofa shot for you, hope that it gives you some ideas, and if you click here there are some extra just the bride and dress shots all taken at the wedding.

• xoxoxo2017
    Beginner May 2017
    xoxoxo2017 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you very much Smiley smile

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you said you're local to me, Nottingham? Although I wouldn't be able to have it done myself I think it'd look pretty amazing around the lace market area/ Nottingham castle/trip to Jerusalem, I love the architecture around there. Also up Derbyshire at 9 ladies stone circle & Arbor low are beautiful places ? Me & OH are thinking of having some photos at Arbor low as he was going to propose to me there on my birthday but he chickened out! (He did it a few days later NYE in a restaurant ?) They won't be professional photos but a few of us dressed in our wedding gear up there would be lovely ?

• xoxoxo2017
    Beginner May 2017
    xoxoxo2017 ·
    • Hide content

Aaaah Milli Hubble, all my old haunts. i was born and raised in Derbyshire, on the edge of Nottingham (my Mum is a Hyson Green bird!), for 24 years and I'd love ot have some photos up there! Kinder, Stanage Edge, New Mills (for the industrial feel) even Matlock Bath along the waters edge.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics