Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arquard
Beginner May 2011

Trying on dresses if you have no intention of buying one....

Arquard, 25 August, 2010 at 10:12 Posted on Planning 0 15

Is this ok to do?

You know I'm making my dress but I haven't tried ANY on yet so I'm not actually sure if the style I've chosen suits me. I'd like to try on a range of styles to see what they're like and also just in case I'm making a mistake in DIYing my dress and would actually look better in a gown I'd have to buy because it's too complex for me to make!

But I imagine if I walk into a dress shop and tell them that, they won't give me the time of day, right? Am I being unfair in making appointments and potentially misleading staff by letting them think there's a sale in it just so I can check out styles and wotnot?

15 replies

Latest activity by Gillsy, 25 August, 2010 at 20:39
  • K
    Beginner May 2011
    kaz9274 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry about it as every person who walks through their door wont always but from them! I wouldn't tell them!!

I have already got a dress but having major wobbles so when I go to look again I wont be telling them that I have a dress already.

U will definitely need to try some on to see what you feel good in, what suits your shape, colour, details you like, style etc! I'd day get appt booked x

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Im thinking of doing this, have a style in mind that I think I am going to get a dress maker to make however just to be sure would like to try some on! i think Im gonna tell them I am going to a few shops to give me an easy get out!! Interested to know what others think tho!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Ok, groovy! I'm going to make some appointments. Do I need to tell them that I probably come under the banner of 'plus size' given that I'm a size 16 in most high street stores?

• Welshthistle
    Welshthistle ·
    • Hide content

I've done this - once when I had wobbles and once when I went with my best friend who can't come to the wedding but wanted to do something 'weddingy' together. I told them the wedding was 18 months away and it was my first time trying on dresses and I just wanted an idea of what I liked/suited me.

I didn't feel bad as I went to a big, fancy, popular shop and viewed it as the same thing as trying stuff on in Debenhams or something (that's how I justified it anyway!)

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

How many shoes do you try on before you buy a pair? And how many shops do you visit in that process? I'm guessing more than one...

Why is it different for something ten times more expensive, much more important and something that HAS to be perfect?

Of course it's OK! Where's the fun in being a bride is you can't have fun dress shopping? And I'm sure the shops don't sell/hire a dress to everyone who walks through the door.

(Oh and I have a freind who spends half her Saturdays going into designer boutiques to try on dresses and shoes she has no intention of buying - or can even afford!)

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd LOOOOOVE to do that, lol

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

Well if I'm honest I once tried on a dress years ago, before I even had a proper boyfriend, just to feel what it would be like for a moment. ;-)

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt worry. I have no intention of buying a dress from a shop as i am having mine made but i fully intent to try on dresses to get the feel for each style

x

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

I have been married before and had my dress made the first time and still went and tried on dresses, for the exact same reason as you, I needed to know what suited me !

If you are looking in MK I would avoid Bride & Joy in Bletchley and After Dark in Woburn Sands, they are not very nice !!! Questor in Woburn are nice, as are Once in a Lifetime in Stony Stratford, the shop in Towcester (cant remember the name) and Vanilla in Newport Pagnell !

If you want to go further afield I am getting my dress from All Things Bride and Beautiful in Aylesbury and they are lovely, as are the bridal shops in Buckingham (there are a few of them)

Enjoy trying them on !!

x

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

I just did this yesterday with my friend. I was visiting her 3 hours away from my house and we went to try dresses on but I wasn't going to buy from there as its too far from home. We had loads of fun, I got treated like a princess and found out which style of dress I do and don't want. I felt a bit guilty though when the shop asked for my address at the end and I had to confess where I live- I'm no good at lying! x

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm surprised there aren't more bridal stores in the centre actually! I haven't found a single one. I didn't like the look of Bride & Joy or After Dark (what a weird name for a bridal store!). I had a browse of Vanilla and decided to try them when I can get at least one of my BM's to come to MK.

• innocentdesigns
    innocentdesigns ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry about it.

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

just tell them that you arent sure what kind of dress you want and that you would like to try on a few for ideas initially! Smiley smile See how you go!!

• froggy29400
    Beginner October 2010
    froggy29400 ·
    • Hide content

Go for it!

I loved it so much that I might have another day of trying on wedding dresses (once I'm married though, to avoid more dress wobbles ?)

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I think its totally ok to do this - you don't fully know what style suits you best until you try them on so I say go for it.

Like Kaz, I had the dress wobbles and went to another bridal shop to try on more dresses. I didn't buy anything and cured my wobbles.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics