Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ceri
Beginner May 2021 Berkshire

Trying on wedding dresses at home?

Ceri, 31 of December of 2020 at 12:16 Posted on Planning 2 16
Hi all,
Lockdown has not been kind to me when it comes to trying on wedding dresses! I’m getting married in 2021 and haven’t been able to try anything on and with the tier system in the uk it doesn’t look like I’ll have a chance to anytime soon.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any bridal stores who allow trying on of sample dresses at home or via post. My bridesmaids were able to do this with a sample bridesmaids dress and a small deposit.
If not, does anyone have any suggestions of how I could try anything on before it’s too late to order?
TIA

16 replies

Latest activity by Luxuriousivoryconfetti75138, 18 of February of 2021 at 13:09
  • RomanticBrownStationery29719
    Dedicated
    RomanticBrownStationery29719 ·
    • Hide content
    Hi. Tbh I never heard of this. Bridal gowns are very very expensive so doubt there is such a service as sending them to people risk them getting damaged, also most stores only have one size of sample dress (so if they send that to you no one else can try and you need someone experienced to "pin you in" to get the actual look)etc. ... also I totally can see people "trying them on" for their ceremony ? and then send them back, so doubt stores are keen on risking that.... obviously bridesmaid dresses are far more budget/ closer to normal clothes so easier to return. When is your wedding? If its a while away then I wouldn't panic jet. Some stores/ designers offer rush orders where you can get a dress in 8 weeks or sample sales where you can pick a dress right there and then.
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Ceri,
    I don’t know of any stores that do but to put your mind at ease I only bought my dress on 31st October just before lockdown 2.0. It arrived in December but won’t get to try it on until January.
    I only want to 2 bridal stores and my dress came in 4 weeks. That is to say don’t stress, You’ll be okay. fingers crossed the tiers and lockdown are a 2020 thing ie a thing of the past.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You have a few options. You could wait until restrictions lift and shop second-hand/sale racks for dresses that you can take away on the day. You can mail order from companies which provide returns (this is what I did). You could look at ordering a bridesmaid dress in white/ivory etc. Otherwise, look at getting a dress made by a local dressmaker or doing a rush order with a boutique once restrictions lift.

• A
    Dedicated July 2022 Co Londonderry
    Ali312 ·
    • Hide content
    Hey Smiley smile I know the place I got mine from does at home options- Andrea Hawkes. Also pretty sure that daughters of Simone and maybe grace loves lace do these options? It's definitely more of a possibility now than before because of the tiers.
  • Hannah
    Dedicated April 2022 Shropshire
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    Have you thought about having virtual consultations? I know quite a few designers do this - Grace loves Lace and Riki Dalal for sure xx
  • Robyn
    Beginner September 2022 Essex
    Robyn ·
    • Hide content
    I saw this on an Instagram page earlier @jacquelinelouisebridal offering at home and virtual try-on. They currently have a sticker on their Instagram story where you can ask questions, but think they are based in East Sussex. Hope that helps!
  • H
    Beginner May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Happyorangeconfetti19696 ·
    • Hide content
    Try ASOS for their wedding dress line, ChiChi have their own dresses on their website and John Lewis/Debenhams also have wedding dresses. For more casual wedding dresses H&M have their own line too.

I was lucky to find my dress in August with minimal lockdown rules and it was off the rack, I only need to get alterations 8 weeks before the wedding (9 months away) so if you have shops in your area that sell off the rail you'll have plenty of time if your wedding is not for a few months after lockdown is over.
    You may even find a lot more stores selling off the rail after lockdown because shops are not ordering new try on dresses due to the pandemic and trying to sell stock they already have they haven't managed to budge the last 9 months.
  • T
    Dedicated September 2021 East Central London
    Theorganisedbride ·
    • Hide content
    Hello, I saw the the bridal shop “London Bride Couture” are offering a try on at home service. I think it’s £50 for a return courier service, and you can choose various numbers of dresses. Worth checking out for sure!
  • Bethanie
    Curious March 2023 South West London
    Bethanie ·
    • Hide content
    I dont know what your budget or style is. But the wedding dress shop im going to go to offers this service.

Its based in East London.
    They send you I think 4 or 5 dressed and you have an online consultation.
    https://instagram.com/heart_aflutter?igshid=1pupfx0rwz6jt

• H
    Beginner May 2021 Hampshire
    Hayz ·
    • Hide content
    Hey, I did this service last year and LOVED it! I got my dress from Made with Love, which is an Australian brand- the store is in London. I paid £50 for a zoom consultation then they sent me via courier around 5 stunning dresses which I tried on via zoom call the day they arrived and my best friend could also join the call. They were so helpful, they actually let me keep the dresses until the following afternoon so I could decide then they arranged the courier to collect. I got my dress and they deducted the £50 off my dress price. Honestly amazing service, I would totally recommend. Hx

Trying on wedding dresses at home? 1

• Clintine
    Beginner February 2021 Lincolnshire
    Clintine ·
    • Hide content
    ************@*****.***.d.m me now for more enquirers
  • MsHenissi
    Beginner August 2020 Lucca
    MsHenissi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I got my dresses (yes more than 1) from Chi Chi.

I didn't have a big budget for my wedding and I was really impressed to see the dresses you can get online now. I ordered a lot of dresses online (from Chi Chi, Chic Wish and ASOS) and tried them on at home - luckily it was before lockdown so my mum, aunties and best friends were there, and we basically played "Say Yes to the Dress" at home!

I settled on the Meryl dress from ChiChi which I got for under £80 in the sale.

Trying on wedding dresses at home? 2

Then a few months later Chi Chi was having a sale so I bought another, more casual, dress for my reception (the Isabel dress, for under £40).

Trying on wedding dresses at home? 3

Considering I was on a budget I am really happy with what I got. I was getting married outside in a small casual wedding (I planned it small even before Covid hit) so the dresses I chose suited that, but they also have more "gowny" dresses that I tried on and like. In the end, I felt a long gown with a train didn't suit my venue (shame, but at least trying them on was fun!).

• P
    Dedicated July 2021 West London
    Purple Girl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Dress looks lovely
  • P
    Dedicated July 2021 West London
    Purple Girl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You look lovely congratulations
  • R
    Beginner September 2021 South East London
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content

Those dresses looks lovely!

I've ordered a couple of dresses in the Catherine Deane sale to try on at home recently. They give you two weeks to make any returns and mine have arrived within a couple of days from ordering, so depending on budget and style, that could be another option for people looking for dresses to order and try on while the shops are still closed.

• L
    Beginner August 2022 Cambridgeshire
    Luxuriousivoryconfetti75138 ·
    • Hide content

This is happening! If you contact your local bridal shops quite a few are allowing you to try up to 5 dresses at home!

How it works

-you pay a fee (around £100)

-The courier drops off your dresses and waits for 1 hour outside

- Courier returns the dresses

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics