Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Trying on wedding dresses... with psoriasis!

2 of December of 2013 at 12:24 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi

I am going to try on wedding dresses with my friend this weekend, but I'm terrified! As if I didn't find stripping to my underwear infront of complete strangers bad enough - I also have psoriasis and it is pretty awful at the moment. I'm going to wear some tights to cover up my legs etc, but there isn't much I can do to hide my stomach/arms. Firstly I'm concerned they won't want me trying on their dresses (which would be humiliating) and I'm generally just a bit paranoid about walking around with my horrible skin on display. It should hopefully be gone by the time I'm married as I'm getting treatment very soon, but this weekend is making me very nervous!

Any tips/advice?

xx

11 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 2 of December of 2013 at 22:07
  • terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content

Aw bless you, a friend of mine suffers the same... maybe call the shops and explain the situation? a lot less embarrassing over the phone if they do decide they don't want you trying on their dresses, which I very much doubt they will by the way..

XxX

• D
    Beginner July 2014
    dizliz90 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I agree about calling ahead - if you let them know you're embarassed about it then whoever deals with you will know. Tbh I don't expect they'd have a problem but if you're concerned then talking on the phone seems like the easiest way to address it Smiley smile

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, when I was trying on dresses I didn't let them know before I turned up. It was pretty bad at the time but it didn't even cross my mind to inform people before.

My legs, arms and trunk was covered at the time.

No one batted an eye lid. Most people nowadays are fully aware of it and I always manage to get around it by saying it's eczema.

I really think you'll be fine.

By the way, what treatment will you be going on to?

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

That sucks... im also very embarrassed to walk around with certain areas out due to markings and scars, it must be pretty common so their must be some steps in place (as long as its not a contagious skin condition like shingles/chicken pox or ring worm etc... then surely refusing is discrimination) - I cant really help but I hope you have fun and find a nice dress

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear you feel like this Smiley sad I know it's not the same but I suffer from severe acne on my face, back and chest and have hundreds of scars. I was very worried that I wouldn't be allowed to try dresses on, in fact my back is sometimes so bad it bleeds randomly and that scared me too. I told the lady in the shop my worries and she was lovely about it. And when I got into trying the dresses on my acne worries faded away. When I found 'the one' I forgot about my acne entirely! Try not to worry or put yourself down and just have a good time Smiley smile

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

If you feel too self conscious you could wear a pretty slip but it may reduce the styles that you look at. Have you thought about what style you would like? As the other ladies have said I'm sure that you will be fine in the shops as they must be used to women feeling self conscious, good luck and don't forget the flashes.

• Bride2Bmarch15
    Beginner March 2015
    Bride2Bmarch15 ·
    • Hide content

I have eczema too I was blotchy as anything from my eczema flaring up I think I made more out of. It that I needed to. U could wear a all in one body thing if ur skin is weepy though xx

• R
    Beginner August 2014
    RLB ·
    • Hide content

As some of the others suggested, phone in advance - tell them you have psoriasis (even explain it's related to eczema if need be). You will probably find most places have seen it all before, and will not bat an eyelid

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

They will know the difference between skin conditions and things that can be transferred from touch / clothing.They will have seen it a million times , it's so common.

If it makes you feel comfortable give them a call but honestly they aren't going to stop you from trying on dresses for some dry skin no matter how bad it is - it is there job to make you feel amazing so they are certainly not going to comment on something that could upset you Smiley smile xx enjoy your day beautiful x

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

It will be fine I'm sure. I have terrible keloid scarring across my shoulders, I notice people doing double takes on the rare occasions I wear strappy tops or even better go for the overtly rude 'oooh what happened there?' every single wedding dress shop I went in the staff were very professional though and treated me like I was 'normal' for want if a better word, they all told me how beautiful I looked (even though I diddnt feel it) Please don't fret, I'm sure it will be fine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics