Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nenas
Beginner March 2012

Tulip buttonholes..?

Nenas, 23 August, 2011 at 13:18 Posted on Planning 0 4

Mine and BMs bouquets will be tulips (mix of purple and white, along the lines of the pic in my avatar), and OH and I would quite like to have tulips for the men's buttonholes (just the wedding party)

The florist we ended up booking said this would be fine, but the florist we went to see after her (and decided against because she was more expensive and not v friendly!) said that tulips are a pain for buttonholes as the open up and she would never use them for b'holes. We asked our actual florist about this and she said that she sometimes wraps a bit of decorative wire around the petals to keep them in place and stop them from opening out during the day..

Is this true that they're a pain to use? Is the wire solution a good one? If so, does anyone have any pics of this as I really can't picture it. We do want to have real ones, so artificial wouldn't really be an option for us - we'd just go with something completely different if its not possible.

Any advice? Muchly appreciated Smiley smile

4 replies

Latest activity by Nenas, 23 August, 2011 at 14:12
  • Kalie85
    Beginner
    Kalie85 ·
    • Hide content

Just found this picture, I would imagine this is what your florist meant by decorative wire?

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

We too are having tulip as button holes and our florist hasnt mentioned anything about them opening up in such a short time?

My bouquet will have tulip and daffodils and the only problem my florsit has mentioned is that the daffodils can sometimes weep a little where they have been cut so she is going to stop this by covering the bottom part of the bouqet with lace.

My only point would be to ask what the price difference would be with having it wired.....

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Yes it is true that they will open but, as seen on the photo, this can be remedied by coiling decorative wire around the tulip which should contain it. Tulips grow towards the light and twist and turn and open once they are cut. They are quite unruly but we have ways of making them behave!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, missed the bit about the extra cost... 50p - £1 but not much more.

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

That's great, thanks for the helpful suggestions!

I'm glad we stuck with the lady we chose in that case - the other one was hell bent on no tulips and all but forcing us to have roses which we said from the start was a definate no.

Phew, I'm glad it'll work out well Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics