Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

barongreenback
Beginner September 2004

Turning down opportunity for internal promotion - career suicide?

barongreenback, 19 January, 2009 at 10:30 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

Would love to hear any experiences of this. Over a year ago I applied for a promotion for a job based in London in the full knowledge that there was one candidate ahead of me in terms of experience but it would be good for my profile and to show that I wanted to get on. If by some stretch of the imagination I would have got it, then I could have happily coped and worked something out.

18 months later and there are similar opportunities coming forward. Off the record I'm being sounded out again but my circumstances have changed in that moving would be impossible and commuting would strip out the benefits of any pay rise (plus would probably kill me in the long run). Outside chance of a promotion closer to home but the directors who are fans of my work want me down south.

I've left it for the time being that I'm open to all offers but I think I'd have to turn anything down. Total hara-kiri?

9 replies

Latest activity by Duncan, 23 December, 2023 at 02:53
  • hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the culture in your organisation. MrH's lot are fairly good at encouraging work-life balance so would understand that not everyone wants to move home just to move up the ladder. Others are less so (academia, for example).

Not sure that helps much does it? ?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. I guess it depends on what your long-term goals are career-wise and within the organisation. Also, if you did find a couple of years down the track that you were stalled unless you were willing to move, would there be opportunities for you at other companies?

• barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

Nope ? Culture is an odd one really as we've had two significant management changes in the last year so things have changed/are changing in that respect. Working remotely to a degree means I'm less clued in than I would ordinarily be.

As the great Donald Rumsfeld once said ""Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

Gah.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

I think that if you explain your situation (if they dont already know) and say thats the reason, then tbh, i think thats says more about your committment to your responsibilities - any decent manager should recognise that for what it is, and if anything, should be a positive thing for you. whilst it may not lead to a positive outcome right now, i d say that its just solidifying your reputation as a solid guy for down the line.

if you have that reputation that is, i think youre a twat, for example ?

• barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the additional replies.

Sophie - apparently my skills should be in demand so in a couple of years there may be opportunities elsewhere. I do like working for my current employer and they seem to like me (was promoted twice in two years).

Nick - depends on who you speak to ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree. so, get practising in front of a mirror "would you like to large that up mate" ?

• barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Should I asking Glider for career advice? ?

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

No he ll still be too busy masturbating like portnoy over the hudson crash until his tictac looks like raw burger meat ?

• Taffie
    Beginner July 2007
    Taffie ·
    • Hide content

Nick's piss-taking aside, amusing as it is ?, it does sound as though they would want to hang onto you, even if you turn down a promotion at this time. Though who knows how your bosses think ?

Last year my husband was sounded out for a promotion that would have meant a move to a remote town in Sweden. I think his answer was something along the lines of "not if it was the last place on earth" ?. A few months later, he was offered the same promotion, but with a move to Minneapolis. He felt that turning it down again would be career limiting, but fortunately it's something we both wanted to go for anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics