Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maria
Beginner March 2024 Suffolk

Two hour canapee's & drinks - what should we do?!

Maria, 11 of May of 2022 at 12:04 Posted on Planning 0 9

Our venue has asked that we allow 2 hours for them to set up from the ceremony to the wedding breakfast as we have 120 guests and are getting married in the same room as the ceremony. We're getting married Easter weekend and were planning on doing an easter egg hunt for children which the venue have kindly said they will set up for us.

They recommended a band or some sort of entertainment for this time, however we're unsure if that's what we'd want as we don't want this time to be too expensive. As it's Easter weekend it also stands a chance of either snowing or being absolutely glorious weather so until the day we won't know whether this section of time will be indoors or outdoors - I'm reluctant to book lawn games and not be able to use the lawn!

Has anyone got any more ideas of what could happen during this time, or do we just go big on the easter egg hunts and get adults involved as well as the children?

Would love any ideas!

9 replies

Latest activity by Sophie, 16 of May of 2022 at 10:28
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I say relax and enjoy the time. Most wedding timings involve 1.5 hours between end of ceremony and calling people in for food. Considering this is the main time you will have for any photos and mingling - chatting- drinking, 1.5 hours is nothing but that extra 1/2 hour you will have will just make this section far more relaxed and enjoyable.

Buy your own garden games at the end of Summer in the likes of wilco.

• R
    Curious January 2023 West Midlands
    Rahman ·
    • Hide content
    Play the shoe game! That’s what we are doing. Basically mr and mrs but you get the guests involved. You can print your faces, names or colours on paddle boards sit back to back have someone ask questions and then everyone can hold up who the think is the laziest or most athletic etc can also get the kids involved
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

We're having 2 hours by choice! I think as long as the drinks are flowing and there are some seats about for people who may struggle to stand for that long, then it's quite nice for people to have time to wander around the grounds or venue (ours is a beach so dip toes in sea!), have a bit of a mingle, figure out where the bathroom is, touch up make up, etc.

We're planning on just popping a background playlist on and also having ice creams come out half way through the time - which is £200 for unlimited for an hour and a choice of 6 flavours so something like that could be a cheaper option than a band to add a bit of interest if you feel you need it?

• K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

I think you will be fine with this. My canape and reception drinks is almost 2 hours too. In the breakdown from my venue, this is the time we will go off to have our couples photos and when we come back all the other photos of family and the wedding party will be done. I have hired a pianist to play during the canapes and then people will just mingle and chat. I've planned for this to be outside in my venues gardens, but if its raining it will just be moved inside until the marquee (where the wedding breakfast and reception is taking place) is ready for the guests.

We don't have many children at our wedding (1 toddler and 2 babies), so I haven't planned entertainment for them, but I think the easter egg hunt you have is a lovely idea and will keep them occupied in that 2 hours. You could do lawn games as a nice added extra but I don't think you need to, most of the adults will probably just want to stand around and mingle anyway.

• Maria
    Maria ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is great advice, thank you!

• Maria
    Maria ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's good to know a 2 hour reception isn't uncommon. I think music in the background will definitely be nice, I might start looking for a solo singer, just to create a bit of atmosphere.

Thank you for your help 😊

• H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    I think 2 hours will be fine as long as there’s drinks, canapés and seating. If your photos are happening during this time then I think you’ll be surprised how quickly the time goes. X
  • T
    Rockstar May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Tamsin ·
    • Hide content
    We’re having our wedding cake at this time. Almost every wedding I’ve ever been to the cake is wheeled out really late, no one eats it, and it ends up in the bin. So we’re not having canapés, we’re just having the cake straight after the ceremony. We’ll have some music on in the background too - just a Spotify playlist of songs we like but which aren’t songs for dancing to. Basically the same kinds of vibe you’d want at the start of any other party!
  • Sophie
    Savvy November 2023 Derbyshire
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    As others have said I think 2 hours is a good length of time for a drinks reception. As long as there’s seating, drinks and something to eat your guests will be fine. We’re doing a Spotify playlist for background music and that’s it. We aren’t having any children though so I see why you might want some entertainment. I love the idea of the Easter egg hunt that you’ve planned! I think you’ve already arranged plenty and with some background music I think you’ll be fine 😊

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics