Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pink Han-bag
Beginner March 2013

Two MOH/Chief Bridesmaids or no MOH?

Pink Han-bag, 8 March, 2012 at 16:21 Posted on Planning 0 19

I've decided I'm having three bridesmaids, my step sister, kmw from here and my oldest friend who I've known since I was 5. My step sister is ditzy and a bit of an 'air head' so I will be giving her minimal responsibility but the other two are both fabulous and would be brilliant at organising things and I consider them both very close and therefore find it difficult to choose one. Is it odd to have 2 MOH even though I probably wouldn't officially title them that so as to not upset my step sis or equally can I have no chief bridesmaid/MOH and just give them the bulk of the responsibility (if I can relinquish any Smiley winking )? WWYD?

19 replies

Latest activity by SarahThompson, 9 March, 2012 at 08:58
  • Nubbin
    Beginner January 2012
    Nubbin ·
    • Hide content

I'd have no MOH - just bridesmaids with different levels of responsibility.

• willumino
    Beginner June 2013
    willumino ·
    • Hide content

I have two MOHs - but then I have 5 bridesmaids AND 3 flower girls. So I think I'll need them both to keep everyone in line! In your situation, I wouldn't have a MOH as having 2 MOHs and 1 BM might make your sister feel a little left out!

• willumino
    Beginner June 2013
    willumino ·
    • Hide content

I have two MOHs - but then I have 5 bridesmaids AND 3 flower girls. So I think I'll need them both to keep everyone in line! In your situation, I wouldn't have a MOH as having 2 MOHs and 1 BM might make your sister feel a little left out!

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

You don't need an official MOH so I wouldn't bother, the only thing you would need to think about is who you want to sign the register as your official witness. But this could be a parent, sibling, aunt/uncle, anyone you're close to and you know will turn up on the day.

I couldn't decide between my two best friends so I'm not having a MOH but my brother has taken to calling himself "Chief Bridesman" because I asked him to be my official witness.

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I am not a MOH person - I don't see the point of them, the jobs are being split among BM's. If anything its my two that wouldn't have been made of honor that have got more excited and involved.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

It's so common for there to be two best men these days, so why not two maids of honour? I think it's completely fine, and it's what I would do!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. Or do it like me and take bridesmaids out of the equation totally!

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. I won't specifically give out titles but I just wanted to know whether it was a bit strange or not.

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

Pandorasbox, I have to have bridesmaids! I'm not sure why just feel like I do Smiley smile

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

If you are marrying in a church they ask you for the name of your chief bridesmaid and write it down on a document of some sort.. Maybe thats just the catholic church but they definitely asked for ours, and address etc. We had a chief bridesman and a very forward thinking priest!

• psycho_jo
    Beginner August 2012
    psycho_jo ·
    • Hide content

I'm having 4 bridesmaids and haven't got a maid of honour. Didn't want to be devisive.

Just interested though, what jobs are BMs and MOHs supposed to do?

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

DITTO! How do you choose between your best girls? I couldn't so didn't. Also interested in what the jobs are. My mum is signing the register.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If there were more bridesmaids I would have said you should have 2 MOH but in ur case I'd opted to give none of them the title and divid the rsponsibilities between them - that way your "ditzy" step sister can have the ones that best suit her personality ?

Your post did raise one question in my mind though - Who will you ask to sign the register ? isn't it normal the BM and MOH?

L x

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't thought about signing the register tbh ?

If my Grandad is still with us then I think it will be him (it doesn't matter on sex does it?) or else another close school friend who I've decided not to ask to be bm but I want her still involved.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did have a major wobble on it and wanted to ask one of my cousins, but just too many family politics involved. Far easier to have my GBF as my bridesman instead and then no angry rellies!

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content

Been reading this thread with interest. I don't have a MOH either and was starting to think I was weird! The BM I would have asked just seems permanently stressed so I didn't want to add to that, plus she hasn't been as excited about the wedding as my other BMs.

I think I'll be dishing out roles, I'm going to ask one of them to do a reading and my 'would be' MOH to sign the register. Just need to think of a specific job for the third one ?

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WWS

I also have 4 bridesmaids and haven't given them different roles. The only job i've given them is organising the hen party, which they are all doing.

What other responsibilities have you given your bridesmaids?

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

I haven't dished out any jobs yet but I'm hoping they'll help me with inspiration, bits of planning, there to moan at when I need to and come dress shopping with me. On the day helping me obviously and also with my son who'll be 3. I know the 2 friends will be there for me, will do what I need them to etc and not all be about themselves and how good it is to be a bridesmaid etc, sorry difficult to explain when you don't know the dynamics of our relationship.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I'd go for no MOH as if you're only having 3 BMs it seems a bit mean to leave one out - just give each one jobs you know they'll be good at. I'm have 5 BMs and my younger sister is my MOH/CBM mainly because I love her the most because she's my sister!

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

I think thats lovely about asking another close school friend to sign the register even though she is not a BM - you would need to check with your venue if that is allowed though. Some churches can be a bit of a stickler for the "rules" and may insist you name a CBM/MOH to sign, other may be fine with someone else.

I like the idea all round of no MOH and just dividing responsiblities between the 3 of them, giving the the 2 "MOH" the more things to do, and leaving your BM to deal with something small that wont really matter too much if she gets it wrong or forgets ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics