Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2016

UK Online Officiants - where can they marry?

MummyWifeyBoo, 21 of June of 2015 at 22:22 Posted on Planning 0 8

And how does it all work!!?

Hi, this is my very first post (am on my iPhone, and cant seem to find the function to search the forum?!) -
I really want one of my very best friends in my wedding party but she would be very uncomfortable being a bridesmaid & wearing a dress, so i came up with the idea to have her PERFORM my wedding.. Have said i'd pay for it to be done online, but i'm unsure of the UK LEGALITIES & really how it all works etc -

Could one of you lovelies please point me in the right direction? (forums, website etc) - i currently like in Hertfordshire, UK.

Ta, Dx

8 replies

Latest activity by Simply Ceremonies Uk, 22 of June of 2015 at 22:02
  • Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Not possible in England/Wales - weddings have to be performed by a proper registrar or their deputy. I'm not totally sure of the rules in Scotland, I know that humanist weddings are legally binding and they don't have the restrictions on licensed venues that England/Wales do, but I'm pretty sure that they still don't allow online-based officiants. It's not like the USA, I'm afraid.

Alternatives would be to have a small registry office ceremony and then have your friend do some kind of blessing/affirmation/handfasting etc service afterwards, or something simpler like just have her do a reading or be a witness for you.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Legally not possible in England I'm afraid!

However we are doing similar. We've having a tiny legal bit the day before and then our friend will be marrying us at our wedding (not legal, but we don't care!) Smiley smile

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

You could ask her to be a witness so that she still has an important role, but without having to wear a dress.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I think too many American sitcoms have featured people getting ordained online and marrying their friends. That's the only explanation for people here thinking it's a real thing.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

She might not be able to but I'm sure joey might be available

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

What IF said.

This is not possible...You can't get ordained online.

your friend could do a speech or be a witness or do a reading.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

What's already been said, afraid amercian TV shows have duped you!.

Perhaps she could be a witness?

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

The girls have covered the fact that it's an American sitcom ism. Have you spoken to her? My best friend wouldn't wear a dress and have the attention on her for everyone, but she did for me. Also, you could have your legal bit and then get her to be a celebrant (a lot of people in here are opting to do this now) but I imagine she'd be way more uncomfortable doing that!!

• S
    Simply Ceremonies Uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi, the way it would work is the same as if you use an Independent celebrant like myself.

You would need to get the legal marriage registration done beforehand ( most of my clients do this a few days before) then your friend can perform the ceremony for you as the officiant.

i would be happy to go through this with you if you want it explained a bit more

my email address is ******@************.**.**

karina x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics