Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner July 2011

UK Wedding Insurance for British Couple who are non UK residents

BumbleBeesBride, 5 December, 2010 at 12:47 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi Everyone, Hope all your planning is going well :o)

I was wondering if anyone can help...

We have recently relocated to Switzerland, and in the process of booking our wonderful venue in the UK, but they require 50% deposit. As its such a large sum, we think that it wise to take out wedding insurance. We are British (and always lived in the UK) and both our families and all our friends live in the UK too.

I dont know of many reputable companies, but the ones I do know, I've looked through pages and pages of T&C's to find out we are some how excluded due to not being UK residents :'o(

Any advice, tips or help would be gratefully received!

Love BBB x

7 replies

Latest activity by BumbleBeesBride, 7 December, 2010 at 17:33
  • C
    creative wedding planner ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

"Congratulations to you both"

Welcome to the hitched forum. I am a wedding planner based in the East Midlands, but cover the whole of the UK.

Love Switzerland, what part of Switzerland do you live in?

What venue have you chosen in the UK?, and yes I agree 50% deposit is such a lot of money.So you are very wise to take out insurance.

I will have a look for a suitable insurance for you both, just give me a day or so.

Elizabeth ?

• C
    • Hide content

Hi BBB,

You now have mail ?

Good Luck

• B
    Beginner July 2011
    BumbleBeesBride ·
    • Hide content

Hi Elizabeth,

Firstly thank you so much for your time in helping us find wedding insurance - we really appreciate it - and for being so quick! I've not joined a wedding forum before, and it is proving very useful indeed for contacts.

We've moved to Zurich - a very popular place this week with the world press! Hoping to marry in Warwickshire in July 2011, and as non UK residents we are finding the process a bit trickier compared to our friends who've got married recently.

Thanks again for your help, and if we need a wedding planner we'll be in touch - I've had a quick peek at your website Smiley smile. East Midlands is a lovely part of the UK.

Take care,

BBB x

• C
    • Hide content

Hi BBB,

That's OK not a problem.

Yes it most be very frustrating for you both trying to arrange your wedding from afar.There are some beautiful venues in Warwickshire, nice part of the country.But at least your family is over in the UK, so you hopefully should get some support from them.

I am very used to working with over seas client's, all you need is communication either via e.mail or telephone, that's not a problem for me.

The last over seas clients I had was a couple from Hong Kong in July, and this one is on my website, with a testimonial.(And at the moment I have enquiry s from Russia & USA)

Normally what happens is once I am been instructed and have all the facts, the first thing on the list of things to do is find the venue, I try to narrow this down to at least three, send over a honest report back to my client's to view.Then take it from there really.

And yes we live in a nice part of the country, very pretty, but unfortunately we are still snowed d in here.I hope the weather is good there. I have not been to Zurich, but I have been to Interlaken a few times, and around that area, its beautiful.

Good luck with the insurance quotes, and try not to get too stressed and overwhelmed with the planning process.

Kind Regards

Elizabeth

• B
    Beginner July 2011
    BumbleBeesBride ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, just called the above insurance brokers and unfortunately they don't cover Non UK residents. Back to the drawing board! I might try an insurance company in Switzerland for "destination weddings" which will be odd!

Hope everyone is having a nice day!

BBB x

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at E&L? We've used them for our wedding abroad (living in UK, married abroad). I haven't checekd their Ts & Cs, but it may be worth ringing them up/emailing them to see if you can get a bespoke policy, rather than the standard ones that you just pick from their website.

• C
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi BBB,

I have just contacted John Lewis insurance on your behalf, and yes you could get insurance with them. The conditions are-they say are as followers, one of you are lives in this country (UK) or you are both UK citizens which you are.

Click on the link

http://www.johnlewis-insurance.com/campaigns/aff-wedding-quote.html?track=0310dwwi

See what you think anyway.The other option is like you say go with an insurance company where you live at the monent,and go for the destination wedding option.

Hope this helps, good luck, let me know how you get on.

Elizabeth ?

• B
    Beginner July 2011
    BumbleBeesBride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks again Elizabeth and thank you Bates2Be!

Yes E&L look good don't they, and offer a reasonable price/cover :o) I would have gone with them but I've just called them up again, and unfortunately they said that they dont do bespoke packages :o(

However - I copied Elizabeth and rang up John Lewis again (3 times and 3 people later) and they said that because we are UK Citizens we can use them! Yay! They even cover us should our flights to the UK be cancelled due to weather. A risk quite high at the moment with all the snow in Gatwick and Heathrow. Not covered for Volcano Ash or if airline cancels flight for another reason (ie A380 engine.. but I'm sure travel insurance should cover that).

Thank again Ladies.

BBB xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics