Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner October 2008

unable to get to work: paid or A/L

ColetteG, 2 of February of 2009 at 08:30 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 23

Nursery is closed. We are snowed in about 2 feet deep, in Old coulsdon, surrey. No buses or trains. So, do work have to pay me or do I have to take Annual leave??

23 replies

Latest activity by Rosienufc, 2 of February of 2009 at 19:10
  • C
    Beginner October 2008
    ColetteG ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if my work is closed, unabel to get through to my line manager on her mobile.

I would guess if work closed they have to pay you, but my sisters boyfriends employer is making him take A/L even though workplace is shut. That cannot be legal.

• baublegirl
    Beginner January 2007
    baublegirl ·
    • Hide content

We're in Coulsdon too - don't think we'll be moving today.

My H's work is shut - he's in the city and got an email earlier.

Think it depends on the Co. but if they shut, you shouldn't have to take A/L. Any sensible Co in London should realise that people won't be able to get there today with all the travel chaos!

• S
    spinster chick ·
    • Hide content

Difficult one, and depends whether you are paid hourly or on a salary.

I use my discretion with my team, so there are a couple that if they don't make it it I won't pay because they tend to use any opportunity to skive, and others who I will pay whether they make it in or not as I know they will try and get there at some point.

(I will pay a full day however late they are and pay the staff that have to wait for them to arrive)

• Smint
    Beginner June 2007
    Smint ·
    • Hide content

In the Civil Service, you're supposed to go in to your nearest government office - we have a couple of squatters here

Those who've phoned in who I know live a fair distance away have stuff they can be getting on with so they're technically working from home

• E
    Beginner April 2007
    Easter ·
    • Hide content

Our company policy is that we have to take annual leave, or unpaid leave if we've used up all our a/l.

Perfectly reasonable IMO.

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

We are meant to take as AL, unless we are able to work from home. I have a load of reading to do, and have already answered a few calls on my mobile, so will be 'working from home' once I'm off here!!

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

Seriously? if you're work is closed, so you can't go to work even if able? Theres no way I'd take that as annual, thats completly unreasonable.

Luckily, my company are reasonable people who don't treat their employees like machines, and we were told not to go in due to the risk of being unable to return home. i have also told my staff this.

• Lady Falafel
    Beginner April 2006
    Lady Falafel ·
    • Hide content

If the office is shut, then it's ridiculous that employees should shoulder the cost. If (for example) your employer hadn't paid for the boilers to be maintained and the office was closed for that reason, why should the employees 'pay' for it from their a/l? Why is closing the office for snow reasons any different?

• S
    spinster chick ·
    • Hide content

Luckily you have that choice Hyacinth I run a 24-7 operation someone has to be there and if someone doesn't get in then the person that has already been there 12 hours can't go home....

• I love shoes
    Beginner July 2008
    I love shoes ·
    • Hide content

Im not sure whats going to happen for me today... Work is open but there are only 2 out of 12 in in my office, the rest of place isnt much better..

However Im currently 75 miles away at home (I lodge near work during week) and tried to get back last night and failed miserably (took me 1h45 to do what normally would be a 40 min journey)

The problem is I am a contractor and only get paid for when I work so I am assuming Im not going to get paid for today and however long I am off for (only have 2 days of leave spare this year) I think the permanent staff are going to get it as authorised leave

• Mrs Cee
    Beginner
    Mrs Cee ·
    • Hide content

Our work have a adverse weather policy that if you are unable to get into work and have let work know then you should get paid a full days pay. I got into work because its only down the road and now wish I hadn't bothered as there is no one here. We have very deep snow and all roads are blocked no trains or buses. I work in the department that deals with the gritters and snow ploughs and I am sick of getting calls of people moaning about the roads and the fact that we might have run out of salt!. I am leaving at lunch because I don't see why I should have to be here whilst eveyone else is sat at home!!

• L
    Dedicated November 2002
    Lizbeth ·
    • Hide content

No way should you have to take it as leave if your employer chooses to close!

I am a bit annoyed because we've had a note from central management saying that it will need to be taken as leave or unpaid. Just feels a bit mean when people have really struggled to get there and have either had no success due to public transport or dangerous roads. authorised absence would be better, really.

As it is I am sitting here trying to 'work from home' but clearly there are so many people doing it that the system keeps crashing - and I think I would rather not bother as I'm not achieving much, but guilt keeps me welded to the laptop....

• Mr JK
    Beginner
    Mr JK ·
    • Hide content

I'd already emailed my boss to tell him I was working from home, and then I found out that the office wasn't opening anyway.

Doesn't make any practical difference to me - I can work from anywhere with a reliable broadband connection, and my deadlines aren't moving!

• E
    Beginner April 2007
    Easter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry, that'll teach me for not reading properly! No, I meant that we have to (or at least the policy says that we have to) take a/l if adverse weather means that we can't get to work. The company never 'closes' as such - operations may stop for a bit but we have to keep going whatever the weather.

Of course management discretion does apply - for instance my manager has said that I can leave early if i want to as I live in a little village where the roads aren't gritted. Might be a hairy drive home!

• Baby Buns
    Beginner September 2007
    Baby Buns ·
    • Hide content

Another here who should take AL or time in lieu for a full day off. I work in a hospital though so people generally make the extra effort to get there to relieve those coming off the night shift etc.

However, last time the snow was really bad anyone who tried to get to work but was several hours late was still paid as normal and I think a few who didn't make it also got paid. Depends on the management really - our Director is probably one of the worst hit when it snows so tends to be more sympathetic!

• DiamondGirl
    DiamondGirl ·
    • Hide content

I've managed to get in but there are only 4 out of 18 on the desk, we're currently discusing whether people who have made it in should get a day in lieu holiday? On the one hand, we are being paid to be in work and if we can get in obviously we should. On the other hand, we would all rather be at home and quite worried about being able to get home. Work have already booked some hotel rooms in case people can't get home.

What do people think?

• Oriana
    Beginner
    Oriana ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the company - I know when I worked in the NHS they had an adverse weather policy which meant people were paid. H unfortunately is a contactor so won't get paid and I don't think he's going to be in work for a few days considering how the snow is falling here.

• E
    Dedicated
    emmah2b ·
    • Hide content

I can't see me getting in, in the morning I get the bus in its about 7 miles but down a sizeable hill and i don't want to walk it in the ice!! But then two days off work when i can't really work from home is a bit much, but what can anyone do?

• deliciousdevilwoman
    Beginner November 2007
    deliciousdevilwoman ·
    • Hide content

I am self employed, so if I don't work, I don't get paid. I did leave the house at 7.15am this morn as usual. The snow was mid calf(I hadn't realised it would be that high!) Five minutes of walking and I was soaked. There were no buses, and so I turned back and made H drive me to the station (he was on a rest day, so not best pleased!) when we finally got there-massive congestion/roads were blocked off on route etc, it was announced there were no trains all day. My journey involves a bus journey, 2 train connections and a further bus journey. I called my boss and he was in the same position-he doesn't live far from me so knew I wasn't scamming. He told me to go home and put my feet up. I didn't need telling twice! As fucked up as it sounds, and despite losing 2 days money, I am on some levels hoping the trains (well my ones!) are up the spout tomorrow. I will get up as usual, check TFL and if it's a complete no go (I don't drive and live 2 hours from work door to door)I am staying home. If limited/disrupted services I will struggle in-I am a manager so need to be seen to make an effort. I called the office this afternoon, and there was a "skeleton service" barely anyone had made it in, and those who live locally and did, were released at 4pm to begin their nightmare journeying home.

• The White Rabbit
    Beginner September 2007
    The White Rabbit ·
    • Hide content

Fortunately I can work from home so don't have to try and travel in (and can work for the 2.5 hours it took Mr Rabbit to get into the office this morning) which I think makes it more efficient

I'm supposed to fly to Copenhagen tomorrow and trying to decide when to give up it as a possibility (given its still snowing here and there's no way I'm getting to Heathrow let alone the plane taking off)

• Taffie
    Beginner July 2007
    Taffie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My husband was supposed to fly to Copenhagen this morning, and made it to the airport at 5am, only to have to come home again. He's booked on tomorrow morning's flight, but is quite dubious at the moment whether it will go ahead. It's tricky because they don't open any customer service lines early enough for him to ring before leaving.

• F
    Fairey ·
    • Hide content

As the unit was open (we are also 24 hour although my department is not!) anyone who did not make it in or went home early will get paid as normal but will be expected to make up the additional hours over the next week or so (come in early or go home late)

• Rosienufc
    Beginner September 2007
    Rosienufc ·
    • Hide content

In my nursery we have an emergency closure policy. Staff that have made it in but get sent home get paid to the end of their shift. Staff that do not make it in do not get paid (we don't get sick pay either) but have the option to take it as a days holiday.

It's quite likely it will be closed tomorrow, but I am within walking distance so I will walk in and then wait to be sent home again. If some parents are struggling for childcare I will probably offer to babysit. - can take them to the park sledging lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics