Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2010

Uncooperative Chief Bridesmaid :(

bride2be <3, 13 August, 2010 at 20:10 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all..I am getting married in a month's time and have been faced with the awkward situation- which I'm not sure any of you have experienced..

I am having four bridesmaids, and my chief bridesmaid has been my best friend since we were 13, a very long time as we're now mid-20s!

I love all three of them to pieces.. but my best friend, who originally seemed really excited about the wedding, is now just really disappointing me. Obviously I know that your wedding seems much more important to you than anyone else, but lots of things have added up..

I sent all of my bridesmaids little invitations to a special day at The Sanctuary two days before the wedding, which I have been saving up for so I can treat them. All of my bridesmaids phones or text me one by one as they got their invites in the post, but my chief bridesmaid never said a word.

Also, the others bridesmaids were worrying that the hen party hasnt been booked so last week they contacted her, as she said she would plan everything herself, and she told them she hasnt done anything yet and if they could help that would be great. Now she hasn't been in touch with them since so two of my other bridesmaids are planning it. Sadly a lot of my friends can't make it as they have only just been informed, and its in 2 weeks!

Also I bought their dresses, which need slight altering as the girls' weights have changed- all of the other bridesmaids have collected their dresses and taken the in to be altered at dressmakers, by my chief bridesmaid's dress is still in my wardrobe- I offered to drop it round 3 weeks ago but she cancelled and I feel awkward bringing it up again.

Also I have found she is the only one of my friends not to have booked a room at the wedding hotel venue.. and there are only a few rooms left. I messaged her over two weeks ago about it- and today the venue sent me the guest list and she's still not on it.

I don't want to have to keep asking her to do these things, because I am a very laid back person- I just feel sad that she seems to have taken such a backseat on a day when I really want her there.

Anyone got and advice or ideas? Would be much appreciated... everything is planned and it's just this one thing brining me down! Thanks xx

5 replies

Latest activity by Arquard, 13 August, 2010 at 21:03
  • judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like she's got a few issues. Has she had a personal setback? Family problems, boyfriends issues etc. I can think of dozens of reasons she might be distracted.

Maybe you should ask to speak to her, in a friendly supportive way, and ask her if she still wants to be involved. Tell her you really want her there for your big day, but if she's not up to it you'll understand and 'promote' one of the others. Perhaps ask one of the other BMs to support her.

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Ah hun i really feel for you. My SIL in one of my BMs and she has been similar. She hasnt organised the hen weekend but luckily i got wind of this and have enlisted the help of my other BM and we are planning it all this weekend. She has dictated over what she wears and has told me that she is goign on holiday before the wedding and so wont be able to make the hen do. There has been other stuff as well and the day is still over 6 months away. TBH i have given up she isnt going to change and i am not going to get stressed over it, every time she does something annoying i now just let it wash over me. And hard as it is i would suggest you do teh same. If she hasnt picked her dress up for alterations even after you have reminded her then it will be her that looks silly in an ill fitting dress, just hide her at the back of photos!! If she isnt staying with you then she will have to sort somewhere out at some point and she wont have such a nice time as she wont be with everyone else. And if she doesnt make it to the sanctury (which i think is a lovely touch) then you save money and she misses out. Think of all teh lovely things you have planned and that your big day is gettign near and try to push anythign to do with her out of your head. Having said all that i would have a quick word with her and ask if everythign is ok with her, there may be sonethign going on that you are unaware of. Explain to her how you are feeling and how what she has done has made you feel and then ask if she is ok. If she says she is then accept it and think about your day and not her.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

By all means find out whats going on but I would also suggest she no longer be your bridesmaid, it seems to be a terrible situation to be in. I've been on the other end of the stick where my two best mates didnt ask me to be a bridesmaid. I now have no contact with one and the girl who was chosen to be the bm instead, isnt as close to me as she used to be...

he lack of support, contact and committment is stressful enough, I think you might have to cut your losses. Sorry.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

It could be something really simple like wedding envy. I've seen a fair few posts lately about unhelpful or downright awful bridesmaids/CBMs, best man etc. and I'm starting to wonder if the vast majority of these are down to simply feeling a bit green about your (general 'your') wedding.

Thinking back, when BIL2b was getting married, I was so envious because my own relationship with h2b had hit a very rough patch and I was desperate for us to get back on track and (because we have kids) to be thinking about getting married ourselves. H2B had always said he didn't 'do' marriage though so I really thought it was something that wouldn't happen for me. Whatever the wedding equivalent of being broody is, I had it big time. I couldn't bring myself to look at friends' wedding photos and declined numerous invitations to weddings or receptions. It really genuinely hurt to see someone else making that amazingly happy commitment when I thought nobody would ever want to commit to me in that way. Luckily nobody that close to me was getting married around that time, so I wasn't faced with having to be a bridesmaid for anyone, but if I'd been asked, I think I would have found it very difficult to do a good job.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

What a refreshingly honest post, sammyjay!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Thanks CB ? I think it's probably a fairly taboo thing to come out and say in RL, but I think it's probably more common than most people want to think. I know I'm mildly obsessed with my wedding and probably talk about very little else. If any of my friends had 'wedding envy', I think my mood at the moment would probably really get to them!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics