Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ladykake
Beginner November 2014

Undecided on hymns in church?!

Ladykake, 7 of September of 2014 at 16:41 Posted on Planning 0 12

OH and I are currently looking at different hymns to have as part of our service as we met with our vicar yesterday! (And had our Banns read in church today!!) we have chosen two hymns, give me joy and one more step along the world I go. We need a third, we did have lord of the dance, but it is 9 verses long And can't be split.

We just wondered what other people have had or are having?!

Thanks!

X

12 replies

Latest activity by Miezy83, 9 of September of 2014 at 07:38
  • Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content

We had Lord of All Hopefulness, I vow to thee my country and Shine Jesus Shine. But I had loads on my list - Bind us together, Be still for the presence of The Lord, Jerusalem, Tell out my soul to name a few. If I could have had 8 hymns I totally would have done! If you're looking for hymns that most non church going ppl would know why not pick Morning has broken or All things bright and beautiful or Love divine all loves excelling? Hopefully some suggestions for you!

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

My suggestion would be not to have all things bright and beautiful - pretty much all clergy hate it for the very reason that it's the only hymn people know, it's now being played at funerals! Your vicar will smile and say oh lovely but in reality will be thinking inside Nooooooooooo not all things B&B! My mum is a minister (she's doing our service) and if she starts getting carried away with ideas etc then my key weapon is to threaten all things B&B!

Majority of our friends don't go to church therefore we are having hymn's which are also rugby songs...... Jerusalum, Bread of Heaven and Flower of Scotland - had to prove that one was a hymn but it is. You can cut down on versus too if your Vicar lets you - we definately won't be having all versus of Flower of Scotland - it gets a bit anti english after a few!

• Ladykake
    Beginner November 2014
    Ladykake ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha! Thanks ladies!

The vicar gave us a couple of ideas one is called 'come to a wedding' which is. Sung to the tune of morning has broken which is quite nice. I really like shine Jesus shine, OH. Likes Amazing Grace - I think that is more fitting for a funeral.

i will keep searching! I think we're almost there! X

• sarah_Jayne1905
    Beginner September 2014
    sarah_Jayne1905 ·
    • Hide content

We're having " One more step along the world" "Lord of all hopefulness"and "Give me joy"

• E
    Beginner August 2014
    Echo SW ·
    • Hide content

Do you need a third? Or is it the case that you would you like a third?

We had just two hymns at our CofE service a couple of weeks ago (Lord of the Dance and One More Step... incidentally ?). I've got to say, they went down particularly well with all our friends and family, even those who aren't religious. Both were upbeat, recognisable (or easily picked up) and people were able to actually sing along, rather than drone/mumble, which I feel is the risk of some of the slower ones.

I think your selection is perfect as it is - don't feel pressured into choosing a third if it's not needed.

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

Lord of the dance is a great one, but i agree it should be shortened down a teensy bit - why can't it be shortened?

• MrsGreen-27/9/14
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsGreen-27/9/14 ·
    • Hide content

If you type in 'my church wedding' it'll take you to the C of E website, which gives you a list of hymns that you can listen to samples of. It also lets you look at every step of the service word for word, me & OH can't look at it though without bursting into tears! Hope we're better on the day and not just blubbering wrecks lol. We're only having two hymns, we're having make me a channel of your peace & we pledge to one another, which is to the tune of I vow to thee my country.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I love Shine Jesus Shine, but MAN is that chorus high. I can sing reasonably well and I struggle with some of the top notes!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I had Lord Of The Dance - and cut it down!

I know the songs you mean, they are new lyrics to traditional tunes, which work well in respect people may recognise the tune. I also agree with you - All Things Bright And Beautiful is a funeral song.

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MrsDecemberBride ·
    • Hide content

I love make me a channel of your peace but I always said I'd want that at my funeral!

we're having love divine, give me joy in my heart and let there be love... Took us months to decide though!!! Good luck!!

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    Miezy83 ·
    • Hide content

We're having Love Divine and Be still for the presence of The Lord! I LOVE shine Jesus shine and would definitely have that if we were having a third!

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    Miezy83 ·
    • Hide content

We're having Love Divine and Be still for the presence of The Lord! I LOVE shine Jesus shine and would definitely have that if we were having a third!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics