Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner March 2014

Undecided to get married abroad or not! Please help!

Rsherriff, 23 of February of 2012 at 13:36 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 6

Hi,

I got engaged in October 2011. My h2b and I have talked briefly about getting married before he proposed but I had always like the thought of getting married in Las Vegas.

As soon as we got engaged I started looking into Weddings and have since seen a few venues close to where we live. The problem now is I quite like the venues that we have seen can picture all the nice things (not focusing on te stressful side) and have kind of moved away from the Vegas wedding. That was until my h2b now wants to go to Vegas. We don't really like all of the attention so Vegas would be ideal but there are certain traditions that I would like that you can't have in Vegas - being separate the night before, getting ready separately, speeches etc and meeting each other there.

I am very undecided so thought I would ask people if they have got married in Vegas or abroad and have ever wished they'd done it a different way or haven't looked back on it.

I like the thought of running away to do it because it would just be the two of us and we'd have a party when we got back.

Thanks!

6 replies

Latest activity by adelly, 27 of February of 2012 at 19:48
  • adelly
    Beginner April 2012
    adelly ·
    • Hide content

Would getting married abroad AND having guests be an option at all? If you think it could be difficult you could give people plenty of notice and chance to save up? If you avoid school holidays and bank holidays in Vegas that keeps the cost of the holiday down. Maybe that would be a compramise?

It's just that with guests it is possible to keep some of the traditional things, eg, we are getting married in Vegas and my h2b is not sleeping in our room the night before (though just so you know our hotel provides a dressing room for when this isn't possible for some people) I won't see him til 5pm at the ceremony. We are also having a lovely meal, cake, speeches a photographer with us all night. Everywhere we have dealt with in Vegas are very accomodating, they can't do enough for you!

I know I'm not much help in the sense of I haven't married there yet/just the two of us but thought I would see if that was an option as deciding between a big UK do and just the two of you abroad is a big decision. My advice is of course you must do what you both want to do and you can't plan your big day around other people. If you did do it just the two of you then you can have a UK party afterwards and have all of your friends and family and do all the traditional things so you get the best of both worlds?

Remember you will never please all the people all the time, no matter which route you go down - which is why it's important to do what you want ?

• R
    Beginner March 2014
    Rsherriff ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately that is not an option, my sister has 6 children so going abroad is not easy and very expensive so we thought it would be best to go alone.

I have read somewhere that some provide a room for you to get dressed in. Have you booked it all separate yourself? I am surprised that they have been very accomodating just because of the amount of weddings that are held there so that is good to know, thank you.

I appreciate you replying, thank you. I would definitely have a party here afterwards mainly to be able to wear my dress again. It's a relief that all of our family members are fine with us going away to get married which surprised us both but they seem to want whats best and cheaper for us.

I hope you have a lovely time when you go

• adelly
    Beginner April 2012
    adelly ·
    • Hide content

That's great that all your family are fine with it! Means you are free to choose what you want without added pressure or opinions from other people.

Our hotel (the bellagio) certainly has a dressing room you can use so that you have somewhere to get ready away from the groom if you need it. I'm not sure how it works at others but I can imagine they all have something similar. Even though there are a lot of other weddings you get assigned a co-ordinator so you can tailor your package to your requirements and you get someone at the other end of the email to answer your questions.

We have booked our accomodation and wedding package direct with the bellagio.

Oh an other thing - remember some chapels/hotels can film your wedding on a webcam so your friends and family can watch online at home, providing they stay up late with the time difference ?

Good luck with your planning x

• S
    Beginner February 2013
    shiningfaery ·
    • Hide content

For me I had a the same sort of thoughts, just go away with no stress and party when we came home but the deciding factor for me was what I would be giving up by not having a UK wedding and the biggest was my dad walking me down the aisle.

Thats the best way to decide is weight up your pros and cons if its just about venue then follow your heart if theres more to it then weight them up so there is no guilt.

x

• R
    Beginner March 2014
    Rsherriff ·
    • Hide content

Adelly: I am surprised that so many people have said to go abroad to get married. it was hard approaching the subject but then turned out easy.

I bet the Bellagio will be amazing, I will look into all of them. I think that with it just being the two of us we were thinking a little chapel. Apparently the chapel of flowers has great reviews. If we had guests then I probably would of gone for the hotel wedding. It's the expense for us at the moment that is causing a few delays, we are doing a lot to our house at the moment but I am impatient lol.

It would be lovely for people to see the wedding on webcam. That way everyone would win.

THank you! Hope you have a lovely time x

• R
    Beginner March 2014
    Rsherriff ·
    • Hide content

Shiningfaery: my biggest thing is also my dad walking me down the aisle. He has four daughters and one is already married, another in getting married in Crete and he won't be attending so I thought it would be nice for him to walk me down the aisle (being a daddy's girl) but he actually moved to Bulgaria last year and can't guarantee he will make it back. I guess that him saying that was a sway towards Vegas for me.

I will weigh up the pros and cons, thank you. I will never regret marrying my h2b but I don't want to regret not having our friends and family around me on that day.

x

• adelly
    Beginner April 2012
    adelly ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I think it does have great reviews! Also look at Little Church of the West. Our friends got married there just the two of the them. It looks very sweet Smiley smile

I am in a group on facebook for Vegas brides past and present and it has been brilliant for getting advice and recommendations - if you are on fb and want to join just send me a private message! ?

Happy planning x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics