Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

karenanne229
Beginner October 2013

Underwear for dress trying on....

karenanne229, 21 of August of 2012 at 16:54 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all

What kind of underwear did you wear to your first dress trying appointment? I was thinking something strapless but my first one is on Thursday after work and I'm not sure I will feel comfortable wearing something like that all day. I know I could probably change but I'm meeting sister, mother and MIL2B there and I normally need help putting a strapless bra on.

Might sound like a no brainer but just knowing what everyone else did would help.

Oh and is it daft to think about a matching set? I'm not trying to impress the girl helping into my dress on, I'm strictly all for impressing my H2B but....well....it's someone seeing me in my underwear. Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit neurotic but I’m a bigger girl and the thought of someone seeing me in my underwear is excruciating, I'd probably be 100 times more embarassed if I had on black knickers and a pink bra. It’s a bit like when you get a smear (sorr for too much information!) and you tell yourself a million times before you go in that the nurse has seen a million other women in this situation and not to be nervous! ?

13 replies

Latest activity by karenanne229, 23 of August of 2012 at 09:31
  • amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

I wore a black bra and knickers the first time, and the women had me put the straps down so I could see what it would look like as the dress I tried were all strapless. For the second time shopping though, I went for a white strapless bra and white knickers, which was a bit easier as I didn't have to faff with the straps! I didn't want to go with skimpy pants on for a fitting though, so they were nice stylish granny pants! Smiley smile

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I took a strapless bra with me and changed into whilst there, I also wore nude coloured knickers- the shorty style ones so I wasn't showing to much a55 to the ladies in the shop!

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I just wore a black bra (with straps) and black knickers! Straps didn't seem to get in the way too much- I think only on the dress I really liked which I tried on a second time, she took the straps down so I could see it better.

Don't worry- your nerves will fade once you start trying them on!- i became more worried about her struggling to get some of the dresses on and off me! It was the hottest day of the year which didn't help either.....

xx

• xKellsBellsx
    Beginner December 2012
    xKellsBellsx ·
    • Hide content

I just wore a balck strapless bra and black French Knickers (as they cover more!)...in one shop though, they gave me a basque to wear which I loved as I felt the most covered up! x

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I wore super big boyshort knickers and this:

Another time, when I went with lots of people, I wore leggings, too. Then again, I'm super modest.

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

I wore my big black Bridget knickers and a bra, sometimes white sometimes black. Just stuck the straps down once on x

• missmandymoo
    Beginner August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content

Does someone from the bridal shop actually go into the changing room with you to help you into the dress? It's not just a matter of the bride changing into the dress then the lady popping in to help fasten the back?

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No they deffo come in with you, I know because my sister had girls in with them.

Thanks girls for the ideas. I was panicing slightly but will just get the good old bridget jones' out and a strapless bra my sis can help me into before the woman comes in. I know I'd really have prefered to go home and shower etc but this place is virtually opposite my work and it seems silly to do so. I guess it will be okay once it all starts, it's just H2B is really the only person I've ever felt comfortable naked in front of....seriously I was the girl who turned the lights out with other bf's and kept my t-shirt on! (sorry again if too much info!)

Thanks again

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah they have to help get the big skirt and netting over your head otherwise you'd end up in a right mess. I'm guessing they want to ensure you don't end up ripping the lining etc.

I wore normal knickers and bra, then took my bra off once the dress was on when trying a low backed one. They need to help you out of them as well though, harder to be modest then if you've taken off your bra. But they don't tend to look or even notice and they don't make you feel uncomfortable at all.

It's typical that I was really pale and a stone heavier the first time I tried on dresses in Jan, my mum and super skinny sister spent a lot of time watching me in my underwear. Went back for a fitting last week thinking at least I'm slimmer and have a tan now, and no one even saw me get changed lol!

• samwiches
    Beginner August 2013
    samwiches ·
    • Hide content

I wore a thong one day, thinking of the panty line in the slim chiffon-y dresses I was thinking of wearing. Cut to me, red faced as I try and keep my wibbly bottom to the wall as I oh-so-delicately staggered around trying to step into the dresses. Cringe.

From then on it's been boyshorts all the way. I don't own a good strapless bra (being a fairly large boobed lady, I'm just not comfortable in them) so I just wore regular bras and pushed the straps down when required, or wore a multiway with seethrough straps.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I also wore black pants and bra. They dress shop ladies have seen it all before anyway, and after having lived in Germany for a year (where everyone is more than happy to get their bits out in changing rooms and the like), I'm pretty unfussed about people seeing me in my pants!

I wouldn't worry too much about it until you're trying on your actual dress for fittings and whatnot.

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls, well it's today so V EXCITED right now. Can't wait...I will repeat the mantra (They've seen it all before, they've seen it all before!)

• missmac13
    Beginner July 2013
    missmac13 ·
    • Hide content

Just back from looking at dresses yesterday I wore matching set like you the thought of someone seeing me filled me with dread. Thought I looked alright until I noticed my pants were inside out hee hee. I have decided I am wearing my strapless bra and spanx next time.

Good luck and they really have seen it all before.

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha Missmac13 that made me laugh. Have just checked and mine are not inside out! Phew!

Thanks

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics