Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mia
Beginner April 2026 West Midlands

Unenthusiastic fiancé

Mia, 22 of November of 2021 at 20:23 Posted on Planning 0 8
OK so I've been engaged since Sep 2019 and with my partner for almost 6 years
Since proposing he has ALWAYS avoided wedding conversations, either grunting or running off. I've already shrunk the guest list to 32 people so he feels more comfortable and managed to buy my wedding dress and accessories for £500 so far. I am at my wits end trying to get him to engage. His plan of a wedding is one that costs £500 (not taking into account photography, food, drinks, suit - could cover a venue) If anyone has gone through anything similar-how did you reach the other side? For financial reasons I'm aiming to get married in April 2026 on a weekday to avoid paying extra... If you have any tips that don't include knocking the groom unconscious and dropping him off the venue, I'm all ears!

8 replies

Latest activity by Mia, 23 of November of 2021 at 13:44
  • Hayley
    Rockstar September 2022 Norfolk
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    That is a difficult one. Can you try sitting him down for a talk and explain how much it means to you and how it makes you feel? There are also plenty of tips out there to save money, if you do need to keep prices down. I would say village hall venues seem to bring it down a lot. But, as you say, I know our friends' wedding was a weekday one and their venue was about a third of the price because of it. Hope you manage to win him over. Perhaps he feels less enthusiastic about something so far away?
  • Louise
    Rockstar March 2022 Devon
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    I think knocking him unconscious sounds like a great idea 🤪 this is a long shot but do u have any other weddings coming up? A couple of years ago my partner and I went to a couple of weddings and it really helped with enthusiasm. Or having him talk to the right people (which was definitely not me - his sister, his dad etc). We did have a small ding-dong the other day, we get married in March 22 and I'm getting anxious about everything - we haven't booked food because he can't agree on it!!!! Also said he wouldn't look at suits til probably FEBRUARY 🤯 I lost it a bit, and not so calmly explained other things depend on what colour u go for and I'm not organising everything else just so u can sit stubbornly refusing to help with the odd thing (so stubborn by nature) just do me a favour and go and try on a couple of bloody suits!!! Thank god his mum was there to agree with me. Sorry rant over. In my experience the enthusiasm can often come from somewhere other than the partner unfortunately and if u push too much (which ur only doing to try and enjoy it together which makes it all the more frustrating) it goes the wrong way. Perhaps as u do have time on ur side maybe drop it a little for a while and wait for something external to bring it up for u, a friend, something on telly etc. Good luck, try not to let it stress u out.
  • Mia
    Mia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have tried speaking to him but from his mind I get the sense he thinks weddings are a waste of money especially if the couple end up divorcing... I'm trying to be cost effective with planning so he can't use money as an excuse to dislike it...
  • Mia
    Mia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have been to 2 weddings together and 1 of his friends will get married. He was invited to a friend of mines wedding which he refused (blamed it on his Masters Degree dissertation) so he should know weddings don't have to he difficult... He is quite shy and not attention seeking but then I've reduced the guestlist to 32 people so he's not overwhelmed. Maybe once he finishes his masters degree and braces he'll feel more up for it 🙏
  • T
    Curious November 2023 Devon
    Teri ·
    • Hide content
    I know my partner zones out when I'm talking wedding stuff sometimes because I do go on about it a lot 🤣 but most of the time he listens to me and he's been really involved with the planning and he's enjoyed it! He just likes a break from it which is understandable. I think your fella is probably a bit freaked out if he's quite shy, could you compromise on a small venue maybe? Less people going will hopefully help but maybe ease his anxiety by asking him what would make him feel less worried about it?
  • Mia
    Mia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hmm small venue is not a bad shout... I'm looking at venues which cater for microweddings so he doesn't freak out by their size... Having said that his side of the guest list is Greek so ideally I want a place that has rooms too so everyone is together and he can chill with them (most of them are school friends so he's pretty comfortable around them)
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

How about you sit down and both share what your ideal wedding would be? ("If you could press a button and magically produce your perfect wedding, what would it look like?") Then look at the things that are most important to both of you about the wedding, and see if you can come to a compromise somewhere in the middle.

It sounds as if he hates the whole idea of a big celebration with himself as half the focus, and he doesn't want to spend a lot of money on something he doesn't think he'll enjoy. Weddings can be as simple or as complex as you want, so don't be afraid to simplify - far better to have a simple wedding that you both enjoy than a more elaborate wedding that makes one of you really stressed!

• Mia
    Mia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have tried having that conversation but he's not really receptive to it...if worse comes to worse we'll do it in a registry office or I drug him with sleeping pills..

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics