Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Blonde Viki
Beginner July 2012

Unexpected buying of wedding dress / alterations / too good to be true?

Blonde Viki, 9 May, 2011 at 13:13 Posted on Planning 0 15

I’ve only gone and bought a wedding dress!!

I was never going to be the bride who couldn’t find the ‘right’ dress. Every time I’ve gone shopping there’s been one dress I’d have been happy with. The problem, so I thought, would be choosing between the ones I liked.

There are two that I’ve always liked best – Mori Lee style 4704 and Mark Lesley style 2057.

Last week, I was having a little nosy on pre-loved, having heard so much about it on here and saw an advert for the Mori Lee 4704, never worn as the bride had changed her mind and bought a different dress. She only wanted a third of the normal price for it, as the shop was asking her to take it away. At first I thought it was too good to be true and ignored it but then I figured there was no harm in making enquiries, which I did and long-story-short, the dress is now at my parents’ house!!

True to the advert, it’s brand-new, unworn and as gorgeous as I remember it. BUUUUUT (and there always has to be a but), it’s too big for me. The thing was, at the time I thought there’s no real risk, I’ll take it to a seamstress and have her tell me if it can be altered and if so, bob’s-your-uncle, and if not, it’s no big deal as the price was so low I can still get myself a dress ‘the normal way’ and sell this one on.

Today, now the excitement has worn off, I’m more worried. The dress is at least one size too big for me, particularly on the bust (not gifted in the boobage department unfortunately) and waist. Trying it on at my mum’s house made me feel a little deflated as though it’s a gorgeous dress and I love love LOVE it, it looked a bit frumpy on me. It’s got a lot of pleating on the bodice and I’m worried it won’t be able to be altered. Or if it is, it won’t look as good as one that had fitted me more closely to start with.

I know nothing about sewing/alterations, so it seems an almost impossible task to me. So I’m wondering what your experience of having your dresses altered has been? Can a dress be ‘shrunk’ and still look really good? Whilst on the subject, any recommendations for a seamstress in Chester/Wirral/Merseyside?

Here’s a pic of the dress (no pics of me in it just yet I’m afraid, as I was not happy with how it looked – I’ll get a pic when I take it to the seamstress for a consultation, I promise!).

I so so want this to work out (I love a good bargain) but equally I want my dress to be perfect on the day. So whilst I'd love to think that alterations will make this into a well-fitting dress, I'd appreciate a reality-ckeck from anyone who knows about this sort of thing!

15 replies

Latest activity by Blonde Viki, 10 May, 2011 at 08:24
  • Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, gorgeous dress and well done on your bargain!

Secondly, yes dresses can be taken in by up to 2 sizes and let out by up to 1 size. It gets complicated if you have a lot of side detailing, but my dress has beading and ruching but the wasitline was still reduced by 3 inches and looks perfect. I tried mine on today after alterations and you'd think it had always fitted me like a glove!

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

The dress is lovely! Same thing happened to me, although mine needs to be let out. Think mine will be more troublesome as it has lots of detail at the side

I think your dress should be fine to be altered. Its easier to take a dress out than in

Well done on your find

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you both!

I do love this dress and it'll be even better if the bargain works out good (more money to put behind the bar for my guests hee hee!)

The pic shows the side detailing but all the beads are cleverly sewn on to a fine mesh, which in turn is attached to the dress, so I'm hopeful this could be removed and repositioned if necessary. I just need to cross my fingers that fate will send me a lovely seamstress who can work miracles!!

3 inches off yours? You're right, you can't tell. Have you been on a weight-loss kick in the run up to your wedding? If so, good work on the inch loss!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I joined Slimming World in Jan and lost 2 stone! Had to spend the last month trying very hard not to lose more weight or the dress would have been too big even if taken in as much as possible!

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

My friend bought a cheap sample dress for her wedding. She was a size 8, dress was a size 16, and my friend is only 5'. She got a normal seamstress to take it in for her and it looked amazing after she had finished.

One dress size is definitely doable. I'm probably going to have my dress taken in a size because the shop weren't sure they made my dress in my size.

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

One dress size won't be a problem at all I'm sure. Have you rung round any local seamstresses? My boss recommended mine (Warks so no good for you I'm afraid) but a personal recommendation is always good.

As Trickers said I'm sure Flow's dress is 3 sizes to big or something like that and can be altered x

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Oh thanks everyone. You're making me feel so much better about this.

I'll have a chat with Flow on FB if she doesn't see this thread - seems she's had useful advice on this subject.

I think I'll have to look about for a seamstress, I might ask in a couple of the dress shops who they use or ask my mum to ask her friends etc!

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful dress!

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

I really really love this dress! wish I'd seen it first! haha

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi there. Love the dress... I am having my dress changed by a seamstress because I bought vintage. I posted a status on fbook asking if anyone knew of a good seamstress and I got a load of replies. I picked the one closest by, called her and made an appointment. All very easy. Failing that yell.com. You type in your postcode and "seamstress" and you get a list. Brilliant.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

hi VK my fellow South East Londoner! Which Seametress are you using please? I'm lookin for one in either south east or east london?

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

I have took my dress to a lady in Ellesmere port if it helps her web site is http://www.amourcouture.com/page4.htm she is taking in the top of mine as it is a size to big and adding straps for £30 and there is a lot of beeding on the top of it

• F
    francislivingstone ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Great choice on your wedding dress, and it is always possible to make SMALL alterations on your wedding dress to get that perfect fit that you are looking for. Any accomplished high street tailor can do this for you and make sure that you try it on to ensure that it is 100% well-fitting!

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh thanks! That's near enough to my parents house! I'll send her an email Smiley smile Have you met her? Is she nice to deal with? Good to see the prices on her website, giving me an idea how much the alterations will cost.

And thanks for the FB tip Knitting Vixen, I'll ask about on there too - I hope my friends are as helpful as yours!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics