Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

critter1066
Beginner September 2015

Unhappy at make up trial

critter1066, 1 of February of 2015 at 09:39 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi everyone, just looking for other perspectives really. I had my hair trial last weekend which went fine, it looked a bit lack lustre but the actual style itself was lovely. I have said to my hairdresser I will get some extensions for the day as my hair is quite thin. So totally not the hairdressers fault but still left me without a definite look at how my hair will be on the day (I will buy the extensions and hopefully have another trial then so I can see).

Yesterday was my makeup trial. I showed my MUA photos of what I like and described my usual look. Both centre on a Bridget bardot kind of look, as does my hair for the wedding (messy, back combed, half up/down). obviously didn't get to see the finished look until after. I was really shocked at how different it was to what I was expecting. I've only had my make up done professionally once before and I was a bridesmaid so I didn't ask for what I wanted then. I was shocked at the elements of make up I didn't really ask for I guess (lots of blusher, heavy eyebrows, lots of shimmery eyeshadow) when I asked to focus on flicked eyeliner, mascara, pale lips and skin that's more Matt/tan than girly pink (especially as my flowers etc will be peach). When she finished I did ask for the shadow to be more blended and darker, the blusher toned down etc, but it was awkward as she called her teenage daughter in to ask s beauty question but then she stayed snd started talking to us both about her weekend away, as my MUA was finishing and asking me what I thought. I am a very private person and I HATE having an audience when I don't know whats being done to me. Also awkward saying to someone you want to change their work in front or their (admittedly young adult) daughter.

I came home and said to h2b tell me honestly what you think as I am not sure. He said it was 'nice'. I emailed photos to my mum who doesn't exactly sugar coat stuff and she said the brows were too dark, blusher too severe (that's after some had been removed) and she expected my eyeliner to be more pronounced. I burst into tears when I got home at my h2b's reaction. I want to look beautiful not nice and I've not yet had a 'wow' moment despite buying my dress and having both trials. As the day went on it grew on me, and I took off the lipstick and put my own pale one on and I started to look a little more subtle in terms of colour, which is what I didn't like as their was pink blush, dark brown brows, coral lips, peach and grey eyeshadow.

The MUA is very talented in terms of application, and is highly recommended and is a nice lady. Do I accept that on the morning of the wedding I start off with some pointers based on yesterday's trial (eg minimal blush, pronounced liner, less heavy eyebrows etc), and rely on my mum to say something if she starts applying it as before (as I won't see it!) or do I have another trial nearer the time (we have a very strict budget) or do I risk going to Mac or somewhere to get it done and buy the stuff myself (I am pretty good with make up but obviously not to a professional standard). I've paid for yesterday plus £50 deposit for the wedding.

Sorry for the ramble. I just felt so deflated and not sure what to do. X

4 replies

Latest activity by Sam&Louise, 1 of February of 2015 at 15:34
  • A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds similar to what happened to me. I cancelled the MUA, it was stressing me out too much! Still undecided exactly what I am doing. Like you I think I was looking for the wow moments at the 3 big events - hair, make up and first fitting - and they didn't really happen. I am reassuring myself by thinking it will all come together on the big day for a big WOW! Fingers crossed

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry to hear about your doubts. If your MUA is highly qualified and recommended she should be willing to work with you. Send her an email raising your concerns and ask for another trial. If she isn't very helpful in response you could then look elsewhere.

• critter1066
    Beginner September 2015
    critter1066 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies. Sorry to hear you're in a similar position April Bride. I've seen on here suggestions of going to a beauty counter and getting a tutorial and doing it yourself using their products and advice, or a YouTube tutorial. I am thinking that's a possibility. I spoke to my mum earlier and she very kindly offered to pay for another trial so I have sent a diplomatic email to my MUA asking for another one and asking if I perhaps I could turn up wearing my make up how I'd like it as a template (I hope she doesn't think that's patronising). I took lots of photos with me but perhaps since she doesn't know me and hasn't seen my usual style perhaps thought that I'd only want elements of the photos and more of a classic bridal english rose look overall. Unfortunately I am not into that look at all and really do want liquid eyeliner and pale lips ? fingers crossed we get it sorted.

• critter1066
    Beginner September 2015
    critter1066 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies. Sorry to hear you're in a similar position April Bride. I've seen on here suggestions of going to a beauty counter and getting a tutorial and doing it yourself using their products and advice, or a YouTube tutorial. I am thinking that's a possibility. I spoke to my mum earlier and she very kindly offered to pay for another trial so I have sent a diplomatic email to my MUA asking for another one and asking if I perhaps I could turn up wearing my make up how I'd like it as a template (I hope she doesn't think that's patronising). I took lots of photos with me but perhaps since she doesn't know me and hasn't seen my usual style perhaps thought that I'd only want elements of the photos and more of a classic bridal english rose look overall. Unfortunately I am not into that look at all and really do want liquid eyeliner and pale lips ? fingers crossed we get it sorted.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Ah i'm so sorry to hear that you've been left feeling a bit uncertain after your trial ☹️

If she's a talented MUA and you were more unsure of the style than the quality of the job, definitely speak to her and bring to light your thoughts. Most will be more than willing to work with you to achieve what you had in mind.

That said, just a bit of advice based on what I see pop up on facebook wedding groups a lot. Quite often when ladies are unhappy with their make up due to it being too dark/heavy they are told that it needs to be more dramatic (caked on) for the photos. This is rubbish, a complete myth. Hopefully that wont be the response you get at all, but if it is don't feel as though you must cave or agree to something you are not 100% happy with.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics