Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C

University initiations

ClareM, 3 of October of 2008 at 14:33 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

I've just been reading an article on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7646891.stm and wondered if anyone here had been through an initiation at Uni?! I don't think I'd be able to go through anything like that no matter how great the team was!

Anyone got any harmless stories to tell of theirs?

14 replies

Latest activity by Jasper, 28 of March of 2023 at 19:31
  • Flowery the Grouch
    Beginner December 2007
    Flowery the Grouch ·
    • Hide content

I didn't, my sports team didn't do them, but i know people who did (mainly rowers, rugby players and hockey players) - they mostly seemed to involve a lot of drinking, eating dog food and chillis, and if you puked drinking it again.

• E
    Beginner February 2013
    eastybabe ·
    • Hide content

I didn't, and apart from the sports teams doing the usual heavy drinking stuff I didn't see anything at my uni. However, I had friends go to Harper Adams and the stuff I heard from there was grimmity grim. Once you'd survived the first year initiations I think you spend the rest of the year dreaming up things to inflict on the next round of freshers ?

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

I joined a sorority when at Uni in the US and there was an "initiation" but it wasn't anything like you see on the films etc. I wasn't that desperate to join that I'd have done anything I didn't want to.

My H was a rower and rugby player at university so he had a few initiation rites he went through. Most of them seem to have involved drinking vast amounts of alcohol and then doing stupid things, he still had scars on his hand from the "how many cigarettes can you stub out on your hand" one.

• FigJam
    Beginner
    FigJam ·
    • Hide content

I never came across any while at Uni and was part of a few different sports teams/clubs. I have to say I'm far too stubborn and strong-willed to do something I don't want to do just because someone else tells me to, in fact, that usually has the opposite effect even if I'd been considering doing it! ? <insert donkey/mule icon here!>

It's unbelieveable the lengths some people will go to just to be accepted into a group, quite sad as well as scary really. ☹️

Mr FigJam is much more succeptible to peer pressure, but I don't think he'd go as far as was mentioned in that article, I hope not anyway!

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Medical School used to be dreadful for this sort of thing (probably still are).

St Thomas' used to have their "Gentleman's Drinking Society". Each year 12 freshers were selected for invitation. The rules were simple, 12 pints, 3 hours, and no leaving your seat - buckets were provided for any required bodily functions.

But then this is the place where the rugby team's "reward" for scoring a try was a quintuple gin, neat, straight down, stood on a bar stool.

My halls initiation was a "barreling". You'd be pinned to the floor by 4 senior residents with a barrel of home brew on your chest. They'd stick the tap in your mouth and turn it on until beer came out of your nose (or they got bored).

At SOP it was a good old funnel, followed by The Boot - a tacky souvenir half pint glass filled with barman's choice, which inevitably was mostly cheap whisky and creme de menthe.

'appy days.

• lobster
    Beginner
    lobster ·
    • Hide content

The only sport I took part in was ballroom dancing so the only initiation is into the costumes and the make up abuse that goes on!

For other clubs penalty pinting abounded, as did potting (Club and union positions came with a pewter tankard behind the bar - any previous owner catching you drinking from it could demand you down your drink and buy them a pint in said pot). I've also done my fair share of boat rances and a half yard of ale but nothing that was mandatory and purely devised to humiliate - just to make you drink!

• haagweg
    Beginner September 2008
    haagweg ·
    • Hide content

Umm, is this where Britain's drinking culture came from?

No initiation at my uni that I was aware of. They really wanted you to join their society (even if you just paid and then didn't turn up again), not put you off with humiliation rites.

• glider12000
    Beginner July 2014
    glider12000 ·
    • Hide content

I avoided the hockey one..ha ha

In the gliding club we didn`t have a drinking one, but on your first flight you had to complete a loop.

At Leeds there was the Otley run..working from the halls that i stayed in on the edge of the city working down the Otley Road into Leeds, usual rules were pint or double per pub and in fancy dress.

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

I didnt do any, though i once witness a marvellous one where two girls had to drink tomato juice from plastic hoses, the other end of which was inside another girls vagina, and said other girls minge was filled with said juice, whilst she did a headstand.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Urgh. that reminds me of a grim men's drinking club at my university called the Buffalos. Everyone had to take a litre of spirits and a litre of mixer, they were then locked in a room and noone was let out until all the drink was gone. Not quite as boozy as some but much higher incidence of people pooing themselves. They also used to give each other blowjobs "but not in a gay way" ?

Girls' drinking clubs were much nicer. All we ever had to do was get pissed and occasionally get our tits out.

• Ms T
    Ms T ·
    • Hide content

I only came across the 26 pub challenge for the hockey club personally which seems quite tame really. I know the rugby team had to do it in stockings and frilly knickers.

Oh and our faculty dinner selected two freshers to drink the pints of plenty where a pint glass was passed round the tables and all sorts of stuff was put into it and they had to down it.

• MightyQuin
    Beginner
    MightyQuin ·
    • Hide content

I didn't join any clubs at uni, but apparently my university (Newcastle) has quite an anti-initiation stance anyway.

H used to coach American football at the local uni and I asked him earlier if they used to do initiations, he said it had been suggested but he refused to let them do it as it was hard enough to find players as it was because it's such a minority sport.

• Rache
    Beginner January 2004
    Rache ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We got reported to the Dean for snogging each other in the bar.

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

I didn’t hear of any at uni. It sounds ridiculously immature, for the most part. These people are 18, not 12. Kind of like the pathetic hazing initiations in the US- although they have a smidgen of an excuse as they aren’t allowed to drink until 21 thus at 18 have a totally mature attitude to alcohol and are being oh so naughty and rebellious. God knows what their excuse is here.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics