Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner March 2016

Unplugged honeymoon

BuryBride, 20 of May of 2016 at 15:16 Posted on Planning 0 6

Just got back from our honeymoon in the Caribbean yesterday ( we had a lovely mini moon straight after the wedding also!) We decided to have an unplugged honeymoon. 2 Weeks no internet, no TV, no news. The only exception was he could check the football scores. I can highly recommend it. We talked lots and it was great not being glued to our phones. We will be doing this again on our next holiday. It made it super relaxing.

Just wanted to recommend it to others. It's a great way to start married life just concentrating on each other.

6 replies

Latest activity by TrixieSaurus, 23 of May of 2016 at 10:29
  • rachietown
    Beginner July 2016
    rachietown ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely idea! We found out that one of the resorts that we are staying at has really good wifi and were actually a bit disappointed as we thought being in a remote area of Borneo we would be unplugged anyway! I think we will follow your advice and leave our phones in the room and concentrate on each other.

Thanks for sharing!

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

We are currently planning our honeymoon (hoping to book on Sunday yay!) I've purposely been looking for hotels in the middle of the Indian Ocean that have expensive or bad wifi so that we can also stay unplugged from the world! he he! Cannot wait, sounds idyllic x

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    Boro_Bex ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree! We went to Cuba last year where the internet is virtually non existent. OH always seems to have a phone, iPad or laptop in his hand and it was so refreshing to be without that for 2 weeks.

However, we're off to Mexico on our honeymoon in a couple of weeks and I think the chances of persuading him it's a good idea are pretty slim!

• B
    Beginner March 2016
    BuryBride ·
    • Hide content

OH wasn't convinced at first but the more we watched couples eating meals both on their phones ignoring each other the more convinced he was. He loved it in the end and is keen to do it every holiday now. We spend so much time looking down at screens we don't look at each other. It was great.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

This would go down like a ton of bricks if I suggested it to my OH. He always has his phone glued to his hand. When we go on holiday, I love to read and he doesn't. So him entertaining himself with the wifi would mean that I could read in peace. Everyone's a winner! X

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

No way on earth I could get hubby to do that, when we went to Cayo coco in Cuba there was no Internet and he hated the feeling of being cut off from the world. We do probably use our phones and iPad a lot but we talk plenty too :-)

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

We're not going to have much choice on our honeymoon. We're going to be on a boat in Galapagos and from what I know our phones will pretty much only work on the main island.

We went to Cuba a couple of years ago and to be honest it was actually the first time I'd had a holiday from life. No Facebook drama, no checking emails, stress free! We bought an internet card for half hour (which could only be used in the lobby) just to check in with family as we'd had some missed calls on our phones (they all came from strange Cuban numbers??) and wanted to check everything was ok back home. Turns out it was just recruitment agencies trying to get hold of OH! After that I bought some bits ready to be delivered when we got back to use up the rest of the minutes and had my PayPal account blocked a week before Christmas! ?. I'm actually quite glad I to have been disconnected - although we did watch BBC world news in the mornings when we were getting ready we did miss the part where my company announced they were going to cease trading in Europe... That wouldn't have made for a great holiday!

It's actually really refreshing to be liberated from our devices. It takes a couple of days to get used to, mind. You pay a lot more attention to everything around you, and each other. A lot less stress and just learn to enjoy yourselves. IMO anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics