Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rizzo
Beginner July 2011

Unsupportive Parents

Rizzo, 21 of May of 2011 at 10:39 Posted on Planning 0 16

Anyone else got these?

My parents haven't been there for my through the planning of our weddding and the final straw was this morning when I spoke to them on the phone and they didn't even ask how my first dress fitting went yesterday. Even my MIL2B phoned up yesterday to ask how it went, but my own parents have either forgot I was having it or just didn't think they had to ask about it.

16 replies

Latest activity by Random Name, 22 of May of 2011 at 10:08
  • BustyB
    Beginner June 2012
    BustyB ·
    • Hide content

Didnt want to read and run, am sending lots of hugs!

Bx

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

My mum isn't a very mumsy mum. Don't get me wrong, we've got a great relationship, but she just isn't in to weddingy things. She said to let her know if I need her to do anything, like decorate the venue, finishing touches in the morning, etc - she said to take her before hand and tell her exactly where I want things to be and she'll put them there, but said not to expect any creative input from her as she just doesn't get it. I don't mind though - that's just her. My dad is an alcoholic, and I've chosen not to tell him I'm getting married. OHs parents have both passed away, his sister is a complete tomboy who's only interest in life is cats - seriously, it's all she talks about. My MOH is in London, so just the occasional phone call, and I'm not having any bridesmaids.

So, long story short, yes - I totally get how you feel. I rely on you hitched ladies to get excited at my flashes, as nobody in RL does, x

• C
    Beginner June 2013
    Cajy ·
    • Hide content

?

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

My parents have been great but I have felt that way about other people I thought I could relie on. As someone else said, I've taken on the mentality that I don't expect anything from them. That way I won't be disappointed.

Know it's easier said than done

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

My Mum has been fantastic. But my OH's Mum leaves a lot to be imagined. She is useless. She doesn't give a ***, to be honest. Not that it bothers me, but she could at least pretend to be interested.

Are you close to your 'rents Mooey? Why are they so disinterested? They are mother and father of the bride. That's a big thing.

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

I can sympathise Mooey. My dad told me to stop talking about my wedding as it is ages away and there are more important things to think about. He also wrote this on my fb wall where all my fb friends could see it as well as h2b's family! Needless to say that I was angry and upset and of course he think he's done no wrong!

My mums not too bad but shes not that interested either. H2b's family are showing more interest than mine are. I'm trying so hard not to let it get to me but it's so hard when this isn't how I expected wedding planning to be.

Sorry I don't have any advice for you as I really don't know how to deal with it myself. x

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Mooey, my Mum is more interested in her dress than anything else to do with the wedding.

As\long as my wedding is "better than Jean daughters wedding" thats al she is really fussed about.

wine? ?

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

I totally know where your coming from x

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

My parents have both been great and I'm very close to my mum but one of my bridesmaids hasnt been very supportive or interested throughout the wedding planning.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I haven't really included my parents in our wedding plans through my own choice. I'm not really that close to my mum, she annoys me if I'm honest, nothing good to say about anything so I just stopped talking to her ages ago...not literally, but we have never had those wonderful mother daughter chats that you read about.

I've made my own decisions about my life for over 10 years now, and never asked for their advice about anything so why should I start now with the most important thing I'll ever have the pleasure of planning?

Mooey, I do feel for you, I'd hate to want something so much and not be allowed it - I've chosen to be the other way and not want it in the first place!! ?

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'll second this, we have had the same thing, people we thought were our friends have not been interested at all, some of them have even declined an invite to do other things and another one accepted an invite and then booked a holiday at the same time!!!!

People eh!!!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Yep, with us it's OH's mum. My parents have been fantasic - fully involved, been to the menu taster, helped choose the harpist etc. OH's mum does live in the US, but with phone and emails it's not like she's not aware of whats going on. We even created a wedding website so she could follow our plans. Nothing, I sent her a long email with photos of my Mum's outfit, the favours, the bridemaids outfits, the music we're having played during the ceremony - and all I got back was "thanks, but I'm far too busy to respond properly" and then promptly lanches into a long email detailing how busy she is - I know she works, but so do we. She's so busy she can't respond to our wedding information but no so busy she can spend 30mins typing an email saying how busy she is?!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bit different from your mother though, surely?

Thanks for your comments everyone - I suppose I'll just have to get through it like I have for the past God knows how many years.

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    Salari ·
    • Hide content

Hi

this is a really hard situation - it was the same for my brother when he got married, my SIL's parents were divorced, and her dad brought the new partner to the wedding. they did get round it in the end, and everything was ok on the day, but I personally think it's best to talk to both your aDad and his new partner to try and come up with a solution together - hopefully then no-one will feel that they had to impose thier views on anyone else.

Have you mentioned it to your Mum at all? she may be calmer about it than you think ..?

I hope you come up with a solution though,

hugs

Vx

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

think you have replied to the wrong thread

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics