Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

O
Beginner January 2018

Unusual Wedding Food

OneHartOrTwo, 12 of May of 2016 at 11:24 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could pick some brains about less traditional wedding foods. MOB and H2B are both very fussy and only really eat traditional English foods but I wonder if guest would expect something more fancy?

Ideas we've considered so far are fish&chips or pie&mash. Any ideas or preferences?

What foods have you all had if you've gone for a less traditional route?

Thank you ?

21 replies

Latest activity by Aliza, 10 of January of 2022 at 10:46
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Instead of serving pie and mash, just call it

Organic free range Aberdeen Angus with a Chateau nerve de pap consomm'e enclosed with pate brisee, served with pomme pur'ee and yorkshire caviar.

(couldn't think of a better name for mushy peas )

That way people will will be eating - as you say something fancy.

I am not being totally flippant because as a wedding photographer I have seen 100s of wedding breakfasts and to be honest that's the way menus are written sometimes.

Whenever I have seen pie and mash or fish and chips at a wedding people go mad for it and love it, you dont have to go "posh" with your food.

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content

We are probably having pie and mash! We are going to ask whether our caterers can also made some kind of veggie pie so everyone has the same.

We are not fussy eaters, but we like 'normal' everyday food. How about sausage and mash? Fish and chips sounds fab as well, that was on our shortlist!

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

We are having fish and chips! Kept it very simple and everyone has loved the idea. We just asked for people's choice of fish or sausage on the RSVP and then our local chippy is bringing them the reception to serve.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I think those options are fine.

My husband went to a friend's wedding where the groom was British. Their ceremony was down the beach and the meal was fish & chips. As long as it's yummy, I don't see a problem. ?

• Emmy1102
    Beginner September 2016
    Emmy1102 ·
    • Hide content

I think non-traditional can be great, I think barbecue work especially well for a wedding!

We're having pizza, pasta and garlic bread for our reception food in the evening, our caterer serves it in boxes just like a takeaway!

• NorthernLights
    Beginner November 2017
    NorthernLights ·
    • Hide content

I want burger and chips for ours!
    But i think were going for pie and mash!!
    I dont think it has to be posh - It has to be personal Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

We're doing afternoon tea after the ceremony and a BBQ in the evening!

I love the fish & chips idea - half-tempted to do that myself instead of the afternoon tea!

Ooh but what I'm actually quite excited about (if our venue lets us) is a late evening TOAST BAR! A few toasters, a bunch of different types of loaves of bread, and pots of Nutella, peanut butter, jam etc. was worried everyone might be hungry after alcohol (despite BBQ!) and have fears of hungry guests at my wedding!

If I were you I wouldn't worry at all about it not being 'fancy'... I reckon many guests would like the options you've suggested more than a fancy meal anyway (at least me and my friends would!)... I was even considering abandons cateing my wedding (then booked a venue that doesn't permit outside caterers!).

• Chapples
    Beginner June 2017
    Chapples ·
    • Hide content

We are doing an afternoon tea & then a hog roast in the evening - I'm also worried (probably irrationally as I was stuffed after the tasting session!) that people will be hungry so thinking of getting in a popcorn machine or something for some late night snacks (our venue allows us to stay until 1.30am so it could be a very long day!).

I love the idea of fish & chips or pie & mash - I was tempted to bring in Pieminister to do our catering!

• rach_217
    Beginner June 2016
    rach_217 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a BBQ for our wedding breakfast, and people seem to love the idea! I also went to a wedding recently where we had fish & chips - it was awesome, everyone loved it! Ooh one I went to also had a pizza van, loved this 2! I'm not a pretentious fancy food fan so love your ideas xxx

• Wayne La
    Wayne La ·
    • Hide content

Recently attended a wedding where they had fish and chips from a van. Had an awning and everything. BBQ and hog roasts are great as well.

On a similar note, one of my couples from last year had a pork pie wedding cake. I received a great reaction from the guests and was delicious.

• O
    Beginner January 2018
    OneHartOrTwo ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, you've helped to confirm we probably will go with Pieminister. Might try a chip butty buffet for the evening (yes I kinda want the best of both worlds). Friends and close family will definitely prefer it and older relatives will probably have the stiff upper lip to not mention even if they don't lol.

Love the pizza buffet idea but with a couple of no-lacto's in the family I couldn't. Also love the toast idea, could be cute for the wedding party in the morning.

Thanks, again guys, next question.....how do people feel about a cake table like bake off style for dessert?

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I love a Pieminister pie! There's a Pieminister stall at the farmer's market in my town every Friday, yummy!

We are having a BBQ as our wedding breakfast including burgers, and then in the evening we're having a pizza delivery from an amazing pizza company. We're doing the Bake Off style cake table - we've ordered a single-tier Victoria sponge naked cake to cut, and it'll be surrounded by cakes brought by our guests, we've got quite a few keen bakers. Saw a friend on Monday who slyly asked what my favourite types of cake are, haha!

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I think that different types of food are great. We are having a "normal" wedding breakfast with the option of pork belly or chicken but our evening food is fish and chip cones which I think will go down well.

Personally, I don't like the idea of a bake off thing for the wedding. I think it puts pressure on the guests to have to bake something and bring it along. I bake quite often but I know it would stress me out, worrying about whether it was nice and looked nice enough to be presented at a wedding. I don't think that asking my guests to bake cakes would be well received either! I also wouldn't be massively impressed with having to bake a cake to take along to a wedding. I think that guests have enough to think about with accommodation, outfit, hair, getting there and back etc without having to make a cake too. But, it seems popular on this forum so it may just be me! X

• YellowDiamond
    Beginner July 2016
    YellowDiamond ·
    • Hide content

Ooh we are having burger and chips followed by chocolate tart and ice cream - we gave our caterers the brief of posh country pub food! My h2b is a really fussy eater and so our guests will get it as it's his fave! It's actually all homemade (well from scratch by caterer but you know what I mean a nothing is processed!!)

i asked when we went to the tasting what the most unusual menu was that they'd done and she said ours!

weve only told a small handful of people what the food will be and they've all said "ooooh lovely it'll be great to have something we can just relax and enjoy!"

Weddings are lovely but as a guest I often think they are long days so some yummy dinner that everyone likes goes down much better with me than teeny little portions of something super fancy just because that's what someone thinks should be served because it's a wedding - nothing wrong with that if it's what anyone is having, we just wanted to chill out come dinner time! Incidentally we were torn between two venues and the one that was in the lead slightly we told the food ideas to and the snobby lady turned her nose right up and went "well that's not weddingy is it - I certainly wouldn't suggest you have that, we have a list that's much more suitable" needless to say I took my money and didn't look back!

• A
    Beginner November 2016
    Annaangeluk2016 ·
    • Hide content

We are having our afternoon reception is a really lovely real ale gastro pub type place and they have won awards for their beer battered fish and chips so we're having that and a second option of steak and ale pie and mash! Vegetarian pie too just in case of any veggies invited but not sure there is! We looked at all more traditional weddingy options but we both said we'd just prefer fish and chips! I stressed about it a bit to begin with but everyone we spoke to seems really pleased with it!

for our evening do (in another real ale pub!) we're having pork pie and cheese!! Can't wait now!!

Anna x

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of good down to earth food and decent portions. Fish and chips as long as they are deep fried like a chippy does and not this silly trend of having 7 chips in a little metal basket would be my choice and I would even go as far as getting a chippy to delivery them if I was having a marquee type of reception where you can have more flexibility.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is an amazing idea. And plenty of options for any veggies/vegans you may have. (I went to a wedding last summer where in 14hours of sweltering heat all I ate was some potatoes.)

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

We went off the traditional path and had tapas sharing boards to start with cheese, olives, smoked fish and meat selections followed by seafood or vegetarian paella where our guests when outside where they were being cooked.

Our caterer had the massive paella pans on the go when people were having their drinks outside. All our guests loved it - ok it wasn't served to them but it meant they could get the salads on the side as they wanted and most went up for seconds.

Best part for me and about 15 of our guests was that it covered majority of intolerance's/food requirements as the vegetarian was actually vegan, it was all gluten and dairy free and was very tasty! It also came to less than half the price per person as the other caterers we had visited.

• hollyhollytree
    Beginner September 2016
    hollyhollytree ·
    • Hide content

It kind of depends on the overall tone of your wedding. If you're having an amazing, grand venue and silver service pie and mash might seem weird. But otherwise that sounds delicious! No one is going to complain!

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

We are having good 'comfort' food... things like sausage and mash, pasta and fish and chips, frankly I think a lot of food sounds too OTT, just call it what it is lol

• D
    Beginner July 2016
    DevonBelle ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your wedding day!

I think the rules have changed and in these modern times you can do whatever the hell you like! I would suggest if you are doing things a little different to let people know in the invites though, or at least have the invites "set the tone".

We are having a very relaxed wedding. Instead of canopes we are having a traditional Devon cream tea - scones, with jam and cream. Lots of English weddings are starting to do this, and even have afternoon tea with sandwiches and cakes instead of a wedding breakfast.

We're then having a hog roast as our more substantial meal in the evening. We have put this on the invites, as I think people tend to expect a little nibble when the arrive, a wedding breakfast mid afternoon, then a snack in the evening. And we are having some of our guests bring deserts. It's an informal wedding, and I've only asked people who are local and who I know won't mind and they've offered to help. They know it's a relaxed vibe so there's no pressure.

One wedding I went to last year was outside, and they had a table with picnic baskets, and a sign next to it saying "Each basket feeds 6" and a pile of blankets. It was great becuase everyone was local and everyone knew each other before. This wouldn't work so well if you had odd pairs of people.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics