Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

RedKitchie
Beginner August 2013

Unusual wedding formats - anyone else

RedKitchie, 25 of October of 2011 at 10:39 Posted on Planning 0 15

My OH and I have done a lot of discussing as to what our wedding will be like, and have finally arrived at a format that we think will work (and that we like). The reason we haven't chosen the 'traditional' format (ceremony in the afternoon, wedding meal, evening reception etc) is that my OH has a health condition that would make something like that intolerable. He has admitted that the thought of the wedding being like that made him worried about proposing as he knew he eould dread it. We have settled on this:

Day 1

Ceremony in church for close family (about 30 people). The church is divided by the baptismal font so we should fill the front part, making it less obvious that there aren't many people. Apart from going abroad (which we've currently ruled out) there is nowhere else in the UK we want to get married. Following ceremony we go to local, excellent Thai restaurant. We need to investiage this as we'd like our own room, or have it divided off somehow. Have speeches here.

Day 2 (possibly following day, few days later or week later)

Have wedding celebration in marquee in MIL garden. No sit down meal, just hot bbq buffet. No table plan, sit where you like if you want to sit down. Possibly show video of wedding (depends on time gap but my uncle is an editor at Sky so could be possible to do it asap). Have first dance and begin party! I'd like to have lots of fun things going on.

I'd love to know if anyone else is having an unusual format (and why if that isn't too nosey). I love sharing ideas and I might steal some that my OH and I haven't come up with ourselves!

Also, what do you think? I have 'let go' of some things that, in my head, I had pictured before we had this discussion. I am happy to do this. What would you miss the most?

15 replies

Latest activity by HelDR, 26 of October of 2011 at 12:10
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

That sounds fine to me - when people have small overseas weddings they often have the "big evening party" back here a few weeks later, so there's no real reason why you can't do a similar thing even with a UK wedding.

Our day was 'fairly traditional' in the order of things but really as long as you complete the legal parts in the right manner and sign the bit of paper that says you're married in a licensed venue in front of at least two witnesses, everything else is 'open to interpretation' for you to do however you want.

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

We went about booking our wedding quite late and our priority was having it sooner, rather than waiting to get it so that things ran smoothyly. so our day is going to be pretty haphazard!

city hall ceremony at 11am - about 20 family members attending. light lunch after.

4pm ceremony/blessing of our design which will involve friends doing readings, exchanging vows and rings with about 50 people present. drinks and dinner after. 8pm evening guests arrive for a big party. we've invited another 80 or so to that. it's new year's eve so hopefully it will be great fun - a friend's band are playing a few songs and then we've a friend dj'ing. i guess this part in many ways is like a standard wedding, though we'll already be married at this point! I'm also going to wear different dresses to the two parts as the morning feels a bit too intimate for a full on wedding dress.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I do agree with you ajdown. I think a wedding should be a reflection of the couple and, in some ways, my OHs health is part of who he is. It is slightly sad to have to let go of the 'wedding in my head' which was certainly more traditional, though still had many elements of being unique. But that isn't what getting married is about and I do want my OH to enjoy getting married.

Vicster - Two dresses is totally warranted! I am going to wear mine twice as it is a chiffon, floaty dress so should suit the small ceremony and the garden party. I might change my hair and make up, something pretty for the ceremony and jazzy for the party. I do like the idea of an earlier ceremony and a lunch celebration, especially in the summer. As we will have a marquee for the party, we could take advantage of that the day before for the lunch. hmmmm...If I wasn't a trainee teacher I would love the NYE party idea for myself but with workloads I have to go for the summer holidays.

• Nubbin
    Beginner January 2012
    Nubbin ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing something similar.

On the Friday we are having a really small ceremony at Sweetheart Abbey near Dumfries. It's really only going to be family and a few friends. Afterwards its a meal at an italian restaurant.

On the Saturday we are hiring a burgh hall in Glasgow with lots of dancing, food and the like for 170 people.

My partner shoots loads of weddings that have been split, for various reasons (ours primarily being the fact that we couldn't find anywhere we wanted to have the reception down beside the Abbey).

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

It sounds very well thought out. I hope that it goes well.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Peter. ?

• brenda.hu
    Beginner June 2012
    brenda.hu ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, that's sounds really great, hope everything all goes well with you.

• H
    Beginner June 2012
    HelDR ·
    • Hide content

I think if that suits you then thats the plan ?, it'll be nice as you'll have a couple of wedding days instead of just one!

We're getting married abroad and then having a party at our local pub when we get back - we'll be doing speeches, first dance etc at the party and will have a video showing of our wedding day plus some photos from the 2 weeks away. We're just going for a hog roast, giant games in the garden, sweety buffet, disco - very relaxed, fun afternoon/ evening.

When i first got engaged i wasn't completely sure about getting married abroad but now i can't wait to fly out in less than 8 months time ?

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others, I think it sounds like a lovely way to celebrate. Plus your dress will get two outings, which is amazing!

I don't think it matters what the norm is for weddings anymore, most people are open minded and just love to celebrate a wedding in whatever format!

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

Thank you anniepie, and pixee999. The more I think about it the more excited I get! which should be the way of course.

HelDR - woohoo - less than 8 months! How far away are you going? My OH liked the idea of the Maldives (super laid back, longish time there before wedding, combine with honeymoon, no stress) but my family can't afford to travel there. We also thought of Ireland, but that's a bit complex, even with my dual nationalilty.

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

We've just had day 1 - Small civil ceremony in Scotland, 14 guests fantastic meal after all very relaxed and informal and amazing

Day 2 is a week on Saturday, Church blessing for 50 people followed by a meal.

So I think it'll work.

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Congrats Bowski!! any flashes??

• H
    Beginner June 2012
    HelDR ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're going to Aruba (10 hour flight) and that's where we got engaged. MIL2B, SIL2B, BIL2B (plus nephew) and my mum are coming over, our best couple friends are coming out for the second week (when we get married) and then staying the week after we leave and another couple are trying to come over from Australia. I'm now really looking forward to the fact the people i love most will be with us but then we can let out hair down when we get back as well. We're there for a week and a day before we get married.....need to get a tan for the photos ? I didn't think any friends would join us but they are looking at it as their holiday which is really lovely

• ScillyB2B
    Beginner June 2012
    ScillyB2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I think your plans sound great.

We're also being a little unconventional. We're having a 'wedding holiday' with 20 guests, spending a week on the Isles of Scilly in Cornwall. Most of the time everyone can do their own thing, but hopefully all getting to know each other, a few different things on some evenings if people want to participate ('bride' v 'groom' cricket on the beach etc, an evening boat ride to the most southerly pub in Britain). On the day of the wedding we're having a morning ceremony followed by a relaxed day on the beach/ in the garden with a light buffet ish lunch, cocktails etc then an evening meal on a big table at our fave restaurant. If the weather is still being kind we're going to take candles and an ipod down to the beach, light a fire and sit drinking whisky cuddled in blankets under the stars/ dancing round the fire like loons. I'm hoping like mad it'll work well but everyone seems really excited from my 2 year old neice to my 87 year old Grannie! We both have huge families and just couldnt bear the idea of a big wedding with 150 odd people eating and drinking at our expense and staring at us all day, each to your own!!

• H
    Beginner June 2012
    HelDR ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds fab ?

We legally get married at 11am in the town hall, then coming back to the hotel for lunch, drinks and general chilling (i've got a more relaxed dress for the morning so don't mind getting it wet in the sea for a few 'trash the dress' photos). Beach ceremony is at 6pm - although this is just a blessing as such we're treating it as our main wedding. Following this it's pictures and fizz on the beach before a meal in the hotel where cake cutting etc happens

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics