Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kharding2014
Beginner October 2014

Unwilling, Unhelpful bridesmaids

kharding2014, 8 of July of 2013 at 20:49 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi,

So I feel utterly terrible complaining about my 3 BMs but at this moment in time I feel like they only agreed to be BMs so that they could get a free dress and get their hair and make up done.

None of them came with me to buy my dress (my mum and a colleague from work came) and the only interaction with the wedding that they have had is to try on their bridesmaid dresses.

I asked one of them to help me with a DIY photobooth and she didn't reply to my email. When I spoke to her husband (H2Bs best friend) He said she felt that I was putting everything on her and that it wasn't fair. The reality is that I was going to ask the other bridesmaids to help with other things and she hadn't given me the chance. I should add that she made a photobooth and props for a friend she was bridesmaid for last year.

Another BM seems completely disinterested and changes the subject every time I ask her about something.

My MOH is a little more helpful but lives over 2 hours drive away.

The wedding isn't until 15 months away, do you think that they will get any better as the time gets closer? Should I email them with some things I want to do and ask if they are interested in helping?

I was planning on booking and paying for a spa day for all of us the day before the wedding to say thank but I'm not entirely sure what I will be saying thank you for.

Sorry for ranting :-(

Kayleigh

3 replies

Latest activity by havecreditwillwed, 8 of July of 2013 at 21:39
  • havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kayleigh,

This question comes up pretty often, with the general conclusion being along the lines that:

1) Brides and Bridesmaids have really different understanding of what is required of them. E,g: Mine are expected to look pretty on the day. That is it.

2) No one else really cares quite as much about your wedding as you do! They are not being unkind, but they really are just not going to get into it like you will.

3) Sometimes even your BFF's have stuff going on in their lives that they may not tell you about or that they are prioritizing.

It maybe sounds a bit harsh when I read this back, but honestly this is about the size of it, so do try not to be too hard on them, you don't want to fall out over a wedding. Youve got ages before the wedding, you cant start arguing this early!

:-)

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, that has help me put some things into perspective :-)

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Maybe they don't wanna hear about it?

my bestfriend asked me to change the record a few weeks ago. In a funny way and I laughed my head off.

You have 15 months. Wait till nearer the time and get them on board?

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

:-)

Currently I don't think mine are even organising any surprises for my hen do! I am very difficult to suprise as I am as cunning as a badger and always suss things out, so either they have upped their cunningness or there just are no surprises and actually I think it is the latter!

I also keep having a repeat convo with one BM like this:

"What do you want t do with our hair?"

"Well I was thinking something up and quite soft and pretty and I have bought you all nice hair combs - (show picture of style I had in mind)"

"I have cut my hair even shorter!" (She lives a verrrry long way away I do not see her often)

"I bet it looks great!"

"I am not sure it will go up"

"well that is OK, if you want to buy some fake hair you go for it, you just choose it as you live 400 miles away, otherwise just have it down and with the comb?"

"We won't alll match"

"yes I appreciate that, but given that the other two have elbow length hair...."

etc etc, on repeat.

We've had this exact convo about 4 times this year so far, wondering if she can manage to fit it in again before August!!? She is clearly looking for a different answer from the one I am giving ... I am not sure what answer she wants though! Have paid for hair, makeup, dress, shoes, jewellery, and hotel rooms - I'm bu&&ered if I am buying fake hair as well!

hahahahahah, BM,s not worth the paper they are printed on, but look so nice in the photos.?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics