Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner May 2019

Upcoming Greek Wedding not legal!

Hi All,

Hoping someone with more knowledge than me may be able to help.

We are due to get married in Zante in a couple of weeks, we've just had an email from our wedding planner saying due to a change in Greek law marriages not in authorised places (Churches - Town Hall etc) are no longer going to be considered legal and we will have to go to the town hall on different day for the legal marriage.

I can't find anything on the internet saying about legal changes, so unfortunately it leads me to believe she has basically failed to get a celebrant and is trying to fudge her way around it telling us to lie to our guest as they won't know and get it sorted legally later in our holiday.

This is obviously very distressing for us as we would know it was all a farce, our family friends and us have spent a great deal of money on this.

So my question is, does any one know of any change in Greek law or are as I suspect, we are being lied to?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• M
    Beginner September 2019
    Margi90 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We are getting married in Kefalonia September this year and from what my planner has told us, only town hall or church weddings are official in Greece. If you’re having your ceremony on the beach, hotel, villa etc it’s a blessing only and not legally binding.

We’ve opted for blessing only ceremony as I didn’t want to worry about the document translation, plus town halls in Greece are not the prettiest. We are not telling our guests it’s blessing only and I doubt that they will know otherwise. Our planner has sent us a copy of the wedding vows and also said we could do our own if we want to. We also going to sign ceremony certificate - so all in all, blessing ceremony won’t look any different to the official one.

We’ll be having small ceremony back in the UK for just two of us (plus witnesses). Just do what feels right for you.

Hope this helps and congratulations on upcoming wedding!

M

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics