Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I-go-by-many-names
Super April 2015

*Updated* OMs, how long did you wait for your video?

I-go-by-many-names, 26 of September of 2015 at 10:36 Posted on Planning 0 42

In a week's time it will be exactly six months since our wedding and although we have a trailer, we don't have our video from our VOG. The contract says nothing about how long it takes but I remember asking before we booked and we were told 6 months but he said it was just to cover their backs, as if we would get it sooner. I appreciate editing a video takes a lot of man hours but I'm now starting to worry.

My plan is to email him next weekend but I'm just curious, how long did other couples wait for theirs?

42 replies

Latest activity by Tidal Wave, 8 of December of 2015 at 13:56
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Tomorrow is our 1yr anniversary, we got ours last weekend! To be fair though, that was from a family member who did it for free around his other work. I would definitely be chasing.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think about 2-3 months is normal. They usually take a bit longer than photographers. I don't think you should wait any longer, get onto them this weekend.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Without wieshing to upset any videographers, 6 months is far too long to have to wait IMHO.

Peter

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Oh God, now I'm really worried. I still think I'll wait until its officially 6 months.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just to stress that I think 6 months is too long to wait.....some companies do take that long, although for a wedding, I personally think it is too much time.

Peter

• MagicEdit-Videos
    MagicEdit-Videos ·
    • Hide content

Six months is a LONG time. I've just changed my business to DIY videography, but beforehand, doing conventional videos, I turned around almost every wedding in 1-2 weeks.

I'm sure everything is fine - perhaps they just took too many bookings - but give them a call for piece of mind!

• BriertonBride
    Beginner June 2016
    BriertonBride ·
    • Hide content

We were told 2-3 months for our wedding video although advised it will probably be sooner than that. 6 months is a long time. Send them a email and just ask how they are getting on and a rough idea of a timescale, there is nothing wrong with that. You have done well to wait so long, I would have sent an email a few months ago!!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice, I emailed them this morning. No reply yet, if they ignore it then I'll start getting very worried.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Just a quick update for anyone interested. I emailed them a week ago and they've ignored it. They have been active on social media (Facebook and twitter) yet don't have time to reply to a simple question?! I'm going to try calling them on Monday or Tuesday, see what's up. I should probably have said we live in Yorkshire and they are based in Darlington so can't just pop in.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Can you name and shame on social media. Don't use Facebook so clueless I'm afraid. Can you say it's now x time since you did my video and I've not received it and you're ignoring my emails.

Have you paid them up front? Sorry you may have said earlier.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I'm not at the stage where I want to name and shame, I want to keep them on side in case they give me a crap video! If it comes to that then I will, most likely Twitter as it's so public.

Yes we did pay the full amount before the wedding and we have insurance.

I am hoping it's just a case of they are just not that well organised rather than they've scammed me as they are an established company with lots of really good trailers on their websites from recent weddings and I've facebook stalked the bride/groom just to check they aren't fake too.

If they don't answer their phone when I call them I'll send another email, then after that I think I will just drive up to them one Saturday unannounced or shamelessly send my dad round! But hopefully it won't come to that.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Good luck with it, hope you get it soon. If I decide to have a video it's def a question I will ask about wait time.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

So it turns out that our wait continues- got a reply from the company today saying they have a huge backlog after a busy July and August. You'd think they'd prioritise ours considering it was the beginning of April though! Haven't yet said when we will get it but at least they replied I suppose.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I would contact them again and say you appreciate that they may have had a busy July and August but as yours was April you would assume yours in now at the top of the list to be done and can they please give you an estimated date.

make sure the July and August ones aren't being done first just because others are more vocal than you. They did after all have April May and June to begin editing before their busy period.

• MagicEdit-Videos
    MagicEdit-Videos ·
    • Hide content

Phew, I bet that's a weight off your mind at least. Don't be afraid of showing your dissatisfaction, this really is a very long time to have waited, and yes they should most definitely be prioritising yours.

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsMtobe2016 ·
    • Hide content

Keep us updated with how you get on. I hope the wait is worth it.
    I'm sure it will be and how lovely to still have something to look forward to seeing. Bet it brings back all those happy memories

xx

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I emailed asking for an estimated date and they said by the end of the month. So we'll see...

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I'm keeping my fingers crossed you receive it by the end of the month and that's an end to it for you. And that it's fantastic! X

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Well it is now November and nearly 7 months since the wedding ... And still no video. They didn't keep to their promise of getting it to us by the end of October and I'm now really p*ssed off as they haven't even so much as a reassuring email to say its on its way. What would you do next? I'd like to call them and give them a piece of my mind but I'm also worried that wont help. I feel a bit powerless at the moment.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I would pick up the phone and ask them what is going on and why it's taking so long. It's too easy for people to fob you off behind an email. You don't have to go fully ballistic (yet) but they should know that you're not happy at having to wait this long.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Definately ring them asap. Calm but don't let them fob you off. Then I think you have to consider small claims court if no joy this time.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I called them today but they didn't answer, I left a voicemail message asking them to call me back. What would a small claims court achieve? Might I get our video? That's all I want, if it was about the money I would claim on our insurance.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

The only thing I can suggest is that a threat of being sued for your money back might possibly make them get their finger out and do what they are supposed to be doing.

If they didn't film your wedding or have no intention of ever giving you one then nothing will help.

I'm sorry you're going through this and not getting something you have paid for, was expecting and looking forward to.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Have you written to them stating that you are "making time of the essence to our contract" and giving them a delivery date?

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

Bit extreme, but I don't suppose they're on social media? Particularly Twitter. When I've had issues or complaints but couldn't get anywhere using the traditional route I've called them out on Twitter. You'd be surprised how quickly people respond as they don't want the bad publicity.

It doesn't have to be anything crazy, just say "hey @videographer been trying to contact you, could you give me a call?"

See how it goes then it's up to you if you want to escalate. The videographer I'm using is releasing trailers for weddings they shot in August so you've definitely been waiting too long.

I would certainly consider legal action if necessary, if only to serve as a wake up call. How many other couples are they doing this to? It's such a horrible end to what should be a happy time.

I hope you get your video soon.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies. If I don't get a response by Friday to my voicemail I'm going to tweet about it. I follow them on twitter and Facebook and they are releasing trailers for couples all the time on there. We got our trailer quite soon (June, married in April) so they certainly have the footage there to be making the full one so I just can't understand why they haven't done it yet, June to November is 5 whole months.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not sure I follow(?)

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

5 months and still no video, I would post on their facebook and twitter accounts.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It was 7 months today.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Oh that is a ridiculous time to wait☹️

• S
    Beginner October 2015
    Stephie ·
    • Hide content

I'd just chip in my penny's worth to say if you're thinking of small claims, best to keep your communication in writing so you have proof of what they've said. If you manage to ever speak to them on the phone, make a note of the exact date and time, what was said etc.

Hope you get it sorted very soon xx

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

So we still don't have it and I am losing faith in the company as each day goes by without the video.

The last time I posted I said I would tweet but OH was against tweeting as he said it would p*** them off and result in a crap video so we sent them a strongly worded email. They hadn't responded to 3 voicemail messages, two from me and one from my OH, I also sent them a message on facebook which they didn't respond to.

The strongly worded email got their attention though, and he got a reply within a few days apologising for the lack of contact and lack of video. They said they would 'aim' to get it to us by Saturday that week. Well that Saturday came and went, and another week went by and still nothing. They haven't even contacted us to say why they yet again didn't meet their self-designated deadline.

I am now so upset by this as I wanted to give the video as a present to my mum and Nana for Christmas and now I fear there isn't enough time, even if we got it soon, which isn't looking likely.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics