Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hayley
Rockstar September 2022 Norfolk

Upgrading from evening to day guests

Hayley, 12 of February of 2022 at 12:43 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 12
How would you feel if you were "upgraded" to a day guest at a wedding?
We might have space to upgrade a few.
Has anyone done this and how did you go about it? Thanks.

12 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 11 of April of 2022 at 15:30
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I would be honoured to be moved up, as I get how difficult it is with numbers. Have you sent your evening invites already? If not them just send them a day one

If you have, I would call them and see we have been doing some moving around with our numbers and budget and we are delighted to be able to now invite you to the full ceremony and day. That's what we did and they were made up
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, good to hear someone else's experience. We have sent invites already to family and friends, including evening. Planning to invite colleagues to the evening at a later date. It would be family and/or friends we upgrade though.
  • Marcy
    Beginner February 2022 Middlesex
    Marcy ·
    • Hide content

Don't be afraid to say that you really did want them to be at the main event but because you were tight on numbers to begin with, you had to think carefully. Now that you have spaces you'd love them to be there. I did that and my friends were so made up about it.

• Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great, thank you 😊
  • H
    Beginner November 2023 Gloucestershire
    Holly ·
    • Hide content
    I was “upgraded” to my work friend’s wedding - we got super close quite quick and I felt so honoured to be able to go to the day! We totally understood how tight numbers were for her in the day, so we were delighted and we always joke that I finally made the cut 😂
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's lovely that you have that joke between you 😊
  • J
    Curious September 2022 South East London
    Julia ·
    • Hide content
    We are having a small wedding with 60 guests. We weren’t planning on having evening guests at all but we have included a few. We did this as we didn’t want some of our guests to get Covid at the last minute and be left with empty chairs. The thinking is that in an emergency we can upgrade our evening guests!
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds like a reasonable plan. Hope you have a lovely day
  • Bliss
    Savvy October 2022 West Sussex
    Bliss ·
    • Hide content
    This happened to me at my friends wedding and I was so happy! I completely understood it was a budget decision anyways and was thrilled she picked me out of the 100 she could have picked!
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww glad to hear it.
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Overall I think it's something that most people would be delighted by!

We did turn down an upgrade recently... we were only upgraded the evening before and the wedding was hours away. We could only get into our hotel room from 3pm but would have needed to be at the wedding at 12pm, so it just didn't make sense for us. If we'd had a bit more notice we would have probably tried to arrange something with the hotel so we could check in early or at least dump our bags and grab a room key.

Just sharing as something to think about, if you're prioritising who might make the cut to get an upgrade first maybe try to give out of towners more notice (i.e. spots that free up with early declines) as locals could probably come to the full day on less notice (i.e. last minute declines if someone's unwell etc.)

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I would be fine with this. Just bear in mind that the closer you are to the day, the more likely it is that your evening guests will already have made other plans for the day so the sooner you let them know about the upgrade the better.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics