Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner July 2023 Vermont

Urgent advice needed on wedding planning/family vacation conflict

TT, 17 of February of 2023 at 16:38 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 4

Dear all,

I am looking for some urgent advice: we are planning our wedding for late July and it will be a family-planned and run wedding with about 200 guests on my family's property. We have a lot of work to do to prepare and make everything really nice. My fiance's family always plans a yearly 7-10 day vacation with all siblings, parents and kids at their family home (four hours away from the wedding site). The date is always variable and decided each year depending on family needs.

Anyway, my fiance is saying that he thinks that there is so much to do for the wedding that he is afraid that we can't pull it off, but then he is saying that the family vacation week can be in the few weeks before the wedding….. and that it would be okay for he and I to arrive back to my family place to finish preparing for the wedding 5 days before! Now there is a lot to do.... we have all of our own tables, chairs, linen, dish ware, vases, and will be doing all of our own flowers, decorations, and have no wedding planner. And there are 92 acres and fields that all have to be cut at a certain time before the wedding.... never mind all the grass all around the house, pond, barns, etc. We are hiring a caterer, but we may need to buy the food and we will be involved with other areas of it. We are also hiring parking attendants, food staff, etc., but it is not a rented venue where the people there would be responsible for all set up and tear down, plus since it is our own place, we want to make it nice looking. I am not hiring a wedding planner. My fiance says that we can get enough done ahead of time and I and my family have expliained that there are many things that cannot be done way ahead of time and that cannot wait until days before the wedding.

Anyway, my family (and sister's husband) all are pretty worried and distressed, saying that there is no way to have a good situation for preparing for the wedding if my fiance and I go away to his family vacation if it is before the wedding. I agree wholeheartedly with them! My brother-in-law knows as he and my sister were married on our farm 7 years ago and it was a huge stressful situation. They gave us 6 weeks notice and we pulled it off, but we don't want to have a situation this time. They had gotten engaged in the summer and wanted to have a wedding before fall to have an outdoor wedding and not delay till the next year for family-starting reasons. The short notice ensured lots of issues... but as they say, they signed up for that. My whole family wants to avoid those issues this time.

Anyway, anybody out there have any advice or ideas? I am trying to explain to my fiance that his family vacation plans need to be after the wedding.... Anybody out there that planned and ran their own huge wedding on their own property with a similar situation? Please give me any feedback that you have on all of the things that need to be done for planning a big wedding? I don't want to plan for what I am sure will be a disaster and a failure if I arrive home soon before the wedding. So my point is that even if all planning goes okay and there are no issues, planning a vacation before a wedding, is in my opinion, a recipe for disaster. I should also clarify that we cannot afford to hire people to do everything. Thank you for the comments. I just need help with the reasons why a vacation beforehand is an issue. And I am super upset as he is very upset with me and saying he isn't going to agree with me on this one, will attend the vacation no matter what without me, and I feel that he is being extremely unrealistic. Please help!

Thank you!

4 replies

Latest activity by Breakinuk, 18 of October of 2023 at 22:07
  • K
    Savvy August 2023 Co Londonderry
    Katherine ·
    • Hide content

Hes being ridiculous. his fam can go ahead pre wedding but you AND he have much to do and anyway, you will be going on honeymoon after no? its one holiday hes missing out on, not the end of the world.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

"And I am super upset as he is very upset with me and saying he isn't going to agree with me on this one, will attend the vacation no matter what without me."

I am so sorry, but right now, I think your priority should be getting some couples' counselling with your fiance, rather than working out when is the best time for his family holiday.

When you get married, you become a new family unit. It doesn't mean that you don't care about your parents and siblings any more, but your priority should be your new marriage partner - that's why the old wording talks about 'two becoming one'. You don't just become an addition to his family, any more than he becomes an addition to yours. So it is a HUGE red flag that he is saying his family vacation takes priority over your wedding, and that he is going on his family vacation 'no matter what' and even if you won't come with him.

Please don't ignore this or hope it goes away. You need to work out how to communicate, how to compromise and how to deal with conflict as a couple, or you are going to have a very, very short-lived marriage. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but under the circumstances, sugar-coating this would actually be really unkind. Sending you hugs and best wishes that you are able to resolve this xxx

• L
    Beginner July 2023 Herefordshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content

I agree that this vacation happens every year and your wedding is a once in a lifetime experience that focuses solely on the 2 of you. I think it is unreasonable for he or his family to be upset with you for wanting to prioritse a huge event that means the world to you. Now that you are a part of the family there will be plenty of holidays to catch up on in the future. I agree with RomanticGreenStationery27135 in that you need to evaluate the strength of your relationship if his reaction to your feelings is making you feel invalidated. All the best xx

• OasisBEE
    Essex
    OasisBEE ·
    • Hide content

Wishing you all the best with your wedding plans and vacation coordination!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics