Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2015

Urgent Advice Req. Venue we booked is selling!

Mrsgilltobe, 28 of July of 2014 at 10:36 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hey

I am in need of some swift advice, we booked our reception venue towards the end of last year which is a private residence with a wedding venue at the back for our wedding in summer 2015. We received an email last week advising us that the owner of the property intends to sell and has put the property up for sale. They say where possible everything will stay the same and they will hope the new owners will carry it on as a wedding business, This is not cutting it for me and I want to pull it and get my deposit back £2000!! Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Help!!

Thanks xx

10 replies

Latest activity by Paula @ Ollievision, 5 of August of 2014 at 14:48
  • jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Did you sign a contract? Surely as they are selling and moving you should be able to ask for your deposit back as there is no guarantee the wedding business will still operate, but I guess it depends on how they are marketing it to sell.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

From what you've described I would have thought you would have grounds to have your deposit refunded. Check what your contract says if you have one or simply call them and ask for a refund and see what they say. They can't expect you to wait and see what happens. They've told you of their intent to sell up so have to allow you to make alternative arrangements as they cannot guarantee that the venue will still be available. I assume it's licensed as a civil ceremony venue and for alcohol. The new owner might not be able to secure a license and again it's unreasonable for them to expect you to wait and see. I don't think the licenses transferable so that's a risk for you too.

I would expect that they will anticipate refund requests from the customers so your call won't be unexpected. Will be interested in an update - good luck!

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Do you have insurance?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

They have given warning that they are likely to be breaking the contract you have with them.....

This could have a financial impact as you may have to pay more for elsewhere as you are closer to the date.

I would talk to a solicitor. A few pounds spent now(reclaimable) could be worth it..

Peter

• cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Hide content

The same thing happened to me (I am wondering if it is the same venue?) but my wedding is one month today, so a) it won't have sold by then and b) it's far too late to do anything about it anyway! So, I'm just carrying on and assuming all will be fine.

Given the change in circumstances, it would seem reasonable to expect that you could get your deposit back. Ask the venue for a refund - if they refuse, consult a lawyer.

Sorry you have this stress - last thing you need,

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    Mrsgilltobe ·
    • Hide content

I wrote to them last Monday and have not even had acknowledgement of my email or letter! I love the venue and don't really want to cancel but I am worried, I won't get my date now as its a peak summer saturday !

We don't have insurance, I am so stupid!! It was on my to do list!

They do conduct civil ceremonies and have a licensed bar although we have a church booked for our ceremony.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think the owner has behaved honorably so far. They have been honest with you. My advice is to make an appt to visit them and have a discussion about a refund. Whilst they may like to see the venue continue as is, they know they can't guarantee it so I suspect they will already have drawn up a plan to deal with clients in your situation.

The delay in response to your email could simply be due to them seeking legal advice and working out what they need to do.

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

I think a discussion with the current owner sounds like a good way forward. They have been honest with you up until now so it seems fair to give them the chance of a sensible discussion with you about it.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd agree, and would also suggest that the best way to do this is by telephone - much harder, nigh on impossible, to ignore someone on the phone, especially if you don't tell them why you're ringing until you get to speak to the person in charge.

Email is all very well and convenient, but nothing beats the telephone for getting personal.

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    Mrsgilltobe ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Paula, you are right, I will call them and let you know what they say.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Try to keep it all very calm. Start by thanking them for being honest with you. As it's early days they may be unable to agree to anything or give firm information. The most important thing at this stage is to maintain a friendly relationship & communication with them.

If you find it all gets a bit much give me a call and I will be happy to speak to them for you. I was a negotiator in the pharmaceutical industry and am used to trying to resolve difficult situations!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics