Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2015

Urgent Advice Req. Venue we booked is selling!

Mrsgilltobe, 28 July, 2014 at 10:36 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hey

I am in need of some swift advice, we booked our reception venue towards the end of last year which is a private residence with a wedding venue at the back for our wedding in summer 2015. We received an email last week advising us that the owner of the property intends to sell and has put the property up for sale. They say where possible everything will stay the same and they will hope the new owners will carry it on as a wedding business, This is not cutting it for me and I want to pull it and get my deposit back £2000!! Do I have a leg to stand on here?

Help!!

Thanks xx

11 replies

Latest activity by Alop, 30 September, 2026 at 10:49
  • jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Did you sign a contract? Surely as they are selling and moving you should be able to ask for your deposit back as there is no guarantee the wedding business will still operate, but I guess it depends on how they are marketing it to sell.

    • Reply
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    From what you've described I would have thought you would have grounds to have your deposit refunded. Check what your contract says if you have one or simply call them and ask for a refund and see what they say. They can't expect you to wait and see what happens. They've told you of their intent to sell up so have to allow you to make alternative arrangements as they cannot guarantee that the venue will still be available. I assume it's licensed as a civil ceremony venue and for alcohol. The new owner might not be able to secure a license and again it's unreasonable for them to expect you to wait and see. I don't think the licenses transferable so that's a risk for you too.

    I would expect that they will anticipate refund requests from the customers so your call won't be unexpected. Will be interested in an update - good luck!

    • Reply
  • D
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Do you have insurance?

    • Reply
  • Peter
    Peter ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    They have given warning that they are likely to be breaking the contract you have with them.....

    This could have a financial impact as you may have to pay more for elsewhere as you are closer to the date.

    I would talk to a solicitor. A few pounds spent now(reclaimable) could be worth it..

    Peter

    • Reply
  • cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    The same thing happened to me (I am wondering if it is the same venue?) but my wedding is one month today, so a) it won't have sold by then and b) it's far too late to do anything about it anyway! So, I'm just carrying on and assuming all will be fine.

    Given the change in circumstances, it would seem reasonable to expect that you could get your deposit back. Ask the venue for a refund - if they refuse, consult a lawyer.

    Sorry you have this stress - last thing you need,

    • Reply
  • M
    Beginner June 2015
    Mrsgilltobe ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    I wrote to them last Monday and have not even had acknowledgement of my email or letter! I love the venue and don't really want to cancel but I am worried, I won't get my date now as its a peak summer saturday !

    We don't have insurance, I am so stupid!! It was on my to do list!

    They do conduct civil ceremonies and have a licensed bar although we have a church booked for our ceremony.

    • Reply
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    I think the owner has behaved honorably so far. They have been honest with you. My advice is to make an appt to visit them and have a discussion about a refund. Whilst they may like to see the venue continue as is, they know they can't guarantee it so I suspect they will already have drawn up a plan to deal with clients in your situation.

    The delay in response to your email could simply be due to them seeking legal advice and working out what they need to do.

    • Reply
  • claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    I think a discussion with the current owner sounds like a good way forward. They have been honest with you up until now so it seems fair to give them the chance of a sensible discussion with you about it.

    • Reply
  • cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Report
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

    I'd agree, and would also suggest that the best way to do this is by telephone - much harder, nigh on impossible, to ignore someone on the phone, especially if you don't tell them why you're ringing until you get to speak to the person in charge.

    Email is all very well and convenient, but nothing beats the telephone for getting personal.

    • Reply
  • M
    Beginner June 2015
    Mrsgilltobe ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Thanks Paula, you are right, I will call them and let you know what they say.

    • Reply
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Try to keep it all very calm. Start by thanking them for being honest with you. As it's early days they may be unable to agree to anything or give firm information. The most important thing at this stage is to maintain a friendly relationship & communication with them.

    If you find it all gets a bit much give me a call and I will be happy to speak to them for you. I was a negotiator in the pharmaceutical industry and am used to trying to resolve difficult situations!

    • Reply
  • Alop
    Beginner July 2026 Merseyside
    Alop ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    2 Kanal House for Sale in DHA Lahore Phase 2 | Spacious Family Home in an Established Block

    Looking for a 2 Kanal house for sale in DHA Lahore Phase 2 ? This is one of the few phases where you can still find a full 100 x 90 ft plot with room for a proper lawn, a wide driveway, and a layout that doesn't feel squeezed. Phase 2 is an older, settled part of DHA, with mature trees, developed roads and neighbours who have lived there for years. The blocks people ask about most are Q, R, S, T, U and V, and each has its own feel. That's why a 2 Kanal house in DHA Phase 2 suits families who want space and a quiet street more than a brand-new sector. Here you can expect 5 to 6 bedrooms with attached baths, a large drawing and dining area, a separate family lounge, servant quarters, and parking for several cars. Many of these homes also have a basement, which is rare on smaller plots.

    Before you decide, check the details that affect price: which block the house is in, whether the road is a main road or an inner street, the age and condition of the structure, and whether the DHA file and transfer papers are clear. Two houses of the same size in Phase 2 can be priced very differently because of these points, so it's worth seeing more than one option. If you want a 2 Kanal house for sale in DHA Lahore Phase 2, call us on [phone number] or WhatsApp us for current prices, photos and a private viewing. We'll share only verified listings and help you through the transfer process. You can also ask about grey structure and renovated 2 Kanal homes in the same phase.

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics