Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N

Urgent help needed with cake dowelling please

noname, 20 August, 2009 at 18:03 Posted on Planning 0 5

I need to know how to dowel 3 tiers of M&S cakes and polystyrene spacers as there are no instructions!

Do I remove the cake boards and if so how?

What do the dowels actually go through? (i.e. is it though the cake and then the spacer then cut off the end?)

If the dowels need cutting what do I cut them with (they are plastic-looking)

Do I pierce the icing first to stop it cracking

Help!

TIA

5 replies

Latest activity by emmamc01, 20 August, 2009 at 22:03
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

You have bought pillars havent you???? Or are you having them stacked on top of one another??

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

https://suite101.com

found this for you too Smiley smile

• N
    noname ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for responding, that's a really useful link.

We are using polysyrene spaces, not pillars so a couple of my questions above weren't covered on the link. Anyone have any ideas?

• Catherines Cakes
    Beginner February 2004
    Catherines Cakes ·
    • Hide content

What sort of look are you trying to achieve? Not sure what you mean by polystyrene spacers - we use these sometimes but they are not normally used on their own - they are normally mounted on cake boards and covered. You need cake boards below each cake and spacer because the dowels go between the boards and it is the boards that hold the weight rather than the cakes or the polystyrene.

I'll try and help if I can but I'm not really sure what you're trying to do....

Catherine

• N
    noname ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Catherine. I'm not the bride so please excuse my description. I've just looked at your site and I think like a cross between Peony and Michala.

The polystyrene things are round and about 5cm deep and are to be covered in ribbon. There will be flowers added but not as many as in your Peony cake.

• emmamc01
    Beginner August 2010
    emmamc01 ·
    • Hide content

Hello

The spacers will need to it on a cake board, a thin one. You can get this from any cake decorating supplier. Buy one the same or one inch smaller than the spacer so it cant be seen.

The dowels go through the cake, push them down into the cake, carefully measure where the top of the cake is and cut them to size. I use a sharp serated knife and file any sharp edges with a nail file. But do this away from the cake and rinse before putting them back into the cake.

The spacer with its board below then sits on these dowels. In effect they take the weight from above rather than the cake below taking any weight!

Repeat with the next cake

Hope this is understandable!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics