Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2015

Use of social media at my wedding!!

SunnyGoldHair265, 31 of January of 2015 at 08:29 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hello......new to the site and just after some peoples opinions. We are having a small wedding of close family and friends, 45 guests in total. It has suddenly struck me that I absolutely do not want guest posting pictures of the wedding on social media, as I don't want my special day sharing with everyone until we've had chance to enjoy it, and share it privately with those who couldn't be there. I know this might seem a little odd, but it's something that's really important to me, I am quite a private person, and whilst I do have,and totally see the value of sites such as Facebook for keeping in touch and sharing photos, I am also quite careful about what pictures and information I post. My question is, how do I handle this with guests.......do I speak to everyone individually, which is fine and I have no issue doing, just explaining why it matters, or do I put some kind of witty line on the invites, and if so what?? Obviously, i know I can't stop (nor would I want to) people sharing images of themselves at the wedding, it's more the images of me and OH, bridesmaids, cake, venue etc...what's your thought?? Thanks

11 replies

Latest activity by Nims, 2 of February of 2015 at 09:15
  • soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

There is a post that's just been put up sort of regarding this. There are a lot of couples having "unplugged" weddings recently. This often refers to just parts of the wedding, but I'm sure you could extend it to the whole day. Just politely mention this either in your invitations or something on the day (I'm using my OOS) and I'm sure that at least most of your guests will understand.

For wording just google "unplugged wedding" and you'll bring up lots of ideas and suggestions Smiley smile

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I wrote it in my order of service. I was having my reception a few days after the wedding ceremony and wanted everyone to see us for the first time. So I put something like "please refrain from posting photographs on social media until after the reception, thank you"

i had no problems ?

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

Same here! we are also banning videos. we want people to enjoy themselves - not worry that an embarrassing dance video will end up on youtube. its something i feel really strongly about. of course we are happy to have pictures taken, but dont want them splayed all over facebook.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We have mentioned it on our wedding website and will also have it mentioned in our order of the day/on a sign near the entrance. We've simply said that we'd like for our day to remain private, shared only with those who have been invited to celebrate with us, so please refrain from posting any photos on social media.

I don't think you're odd at all for not wanting it. There is absolutely no way that I want guests aimlessly taking photos all day and posting them on FB.

I personally think the emergence of guest photos almost immediately following the wedding day ruins the magic a little it too. I've paid for an incredible photographer to be there, I want the anticipation of awaiting the professional shots and seeing the whole story unfold for the first time. I don't want the first representations of my day to be scattered snap shots or blurred photos of the back of my head. That may be the photographer in me though ?

• B
    Beginner August 2015
    Bets2015 ·
    • Hide content

I am with you on this and am also wondering about how to do it/word it with my guests. A girl I know on facebook got married in the summer and her and her wedding were plastered all over facebook by attending guests before they would have sat down for food! I really don't want that on my day. I want my evening guests to see me first in person not facebook. I wasn't sure whether to have a 'quirky' yet firm sign somewhere in the entrance?

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

This is the similar post I mentioned:

https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/484873.aspx

If you google "unplugged wedding" you should find a post by offbeat bride that covers this quite well, but there are a lot of ideas out there to help you out Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    SunnyGoldHair265 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your comments, it's actually been really positive in helping me remember, it's our day, and if people are offended or upset then there's nothing I can do about that, but no way am I compromising. I totally agree that I wouldn't want people seeing all our hardwork and planning before we'd had chance to enjoy it ourselves. I remember a pic of a bride and groom walking back down the aisle, and I just felt sick thinking, wow I bet that I true has been posted before they even made it out the church. I have spent the afternoon finishing my invites and have just added a simple paragraph saying, We respectfully ask guests to refrain from posting pictures of our wedding on social media sites until we have shared the professional photographs. And I am really happy with them. I am also going to insert a mention in the order of service, along same lines, nicely worded but making sure the message is clear.

There was loads of wording, I googled asking guests not to use social media...

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

I also don't want our guests glued to a phone etc when we are getting married. This is what I am putting on invites and order of service,

take what you like from it.

i hope it helps :-)

Photographs and social media
    We really want all of our guests to be fully present
    during our ceromeny​​, therefor we are kindly asking
    If everyone would turn off thier camares and phones during
    ​this part of our special day.
    It would also be greatly appricieated if you could
    ​refrain from uploading any pictures you may take throughout
    the rest of the day onto social media sites.
    If you would like to share any special moments you have
    ​captured with us and other guests, then please download our
    Wedpics app available for iphone and android users
    Thank you.
    Our wedding ID is:

Photographs and social media

We really want all of our guests to be fully present during our ceromeny​​, therefor we are kindly asking

that everyone turns off thier camares and phones during ​this part of our special day.

It would also be greatly appreciated, if you could ​refrain from uploading any pictures you may take throughout

the rest of the day up onto social media sites.

If you would like to share any special moments you have​ captured with us and other guests,

then please download our Wedpics app, available for Iphone and Android users.

Thank you.​

Our wedding ID is:

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

The point is that for friends that can't get to the wedding, YOU want to be the first to say, "this was my dress" etc etc, not for them to say, "Yes, I saw that on FB"

Peter

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content

We asked people not to post pics on FB and everyone respected it, the only problem is it's killing me having only seen a handful of pics x

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding last year and there was a note on the invitation that said something like 'we respectfully ask that no pictures from our big day are posted on social media before we have had the opportunity to share our own with absent friends and family who are unable to attend' or something similar. We were happy to oblige Smiley smile

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

We included an information card in our invitations, which had this line in: "please feel free to take photos, however we kindly request that you refrain from putting them on social media. Thank you"

(my friends and family know the social media rules about me- social worker!- but OH's family don't, so we put that in. The regristrar is also going to ask people not to take photos during the ceremony at the start of it all too)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics