Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner May 2012

Ushers

Freckles1977, 18 May, 2011 at 20:45 Posted on Planning 0 8

We are having about 70 guests to our wedding and wondered if anyone knew if there is a certain amount of ushers you should have based on the number of guests? H2B wants bloody loads of them but i can't help thinking it'll look a bit funny if there are too many ushers in comparison to the amount of guests. Suggestions please? Thanks!

8 replies

Latest activity by judeclarke, 19 May, 2011 at 09:44
  • Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

We had about 60 guests and OH had BM and 2 ushers!

he just wanted a close mate and his Bro-in law who he he has know since he was 3!

i also had 3 bmaids so it worked out well on the photos ?

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

Not sure what the general 'rule' is on number of ushers compared to guests but we have approx 95-100 day guests and are having 2 ushers plus a best man. Even so, there aren't really any jobs for them to do (civil ceremony) so it's more of a symbol of their importance to us (especially OH) rather than them serving a specific purpose so I'd say go with what you both want!

Having said that, I'm of the opinion that too many attendants (including BMs) can look a bit OTT but thats just me.

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

Our venue suggests two, so we've got two. Plus it gives a role to two special people. We have 80 guests x

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We're having 3 usherettes, for 100 day guests and 200 evening guests (sit-down meal is in the evening). But our day is quite complicated and involves transport and 3 different locations so I wanted more people to help run the day.

How many ushers does your H2B want? I honestly don't think it would look 'odd'... I don't think people ever go to a wedding and say "that's far too many ushers for the number of people here" unless it's something like 10 ushers for 50 people! And even then, well... they're in nice suits, but so are most of the men. It'd take someone really looking to notice the numbers of ushers, I think.

• D
    Beginner February 2012
    Dani1984 ·
    • Hide content

We are having 46 guests in the day, we are just having my little brother who will be 16 and my OH best man who is actually my cousin! my OH has work friends but no one he really wants there IYKWIM

xx

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

Good Morning,

We have a guest list of 100 for the day and only have a BM and 2 Ushers. We have a further 50 guests for the evening x I think their main duties are making sure your guests are seated on the correct sides and generally looking after guests too x

• ScillyB2B
    Beginner June 2012
    ScillyB2B ·
    • Hide content

Ooh does that mean I can have half an usher?? I wonder which half to go for.....!!

hehe

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

It depends on the type of venue as well as the number of guests. If you've got a venue like a rabbit warren you might need more, an all-in-one-room venue you might not need any. If you have a dozen elderly/disabled guests you might want some extra help too. For a church wedding I'd say you need at least one from each side of the family, just so there's a familiar face.

We're having 40 day guests and about 90 in the evening, we have one usher who is 11. His job will be to hand out OOS cards and collect postcards back for our guestbook.

Yes it might look a bit silly having a dozen ushers when you have 30 guests, but it's up to you, have as many or as few as you think is warranted.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics