Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner May 2005

Valentine Warner (a rant)

Pint&APie, 21 July, 2009 at 10:51 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

1. Despite your claims, you are not a chef. Do you work in a restaurant ? No. Can I make a reservation to have you cook me something ? No. You are a slightly average food writer with an irritating book tie-in on TV. I once took a car down the drag strip at Santa Pod - this doesn't make me a racing driver.

2. Why is everything so overblown ? With the constant stream of "Mmmmm, wow, wowee, this dish is amazing, my dish is amazing, I'm amazing", you sound like somebody that has never tasted food before. Get over it !

3. Enough already with the bumbling public-school Boris Johnson schtick. Look at me, I'm diving into a hedge to chase Guinea fowl - I'm just like a naughty schoolboy. Look, now I'm sneaking a slice of the pudding I've just made and eating it off the knife - oh how mummy would tell me off. Grow up, you're nearly 40.

4. And finally, are you physically unable to eat with your mouth closed ? Do you have a medical condition ? Because I've yet to see you consume a single spoonful without smearing food across your face and adressing the camera while still chewing. The sight (and accompanying noises) are frankly repulsive.

Please, somebody stop me watching this !

16 replies

Latest activity by hazel, 21 July, 2009 at 13:06
  • legless
    Beginner
    legless ·
    • Hide content

I had a surprisingly similar rant last night actually. he did work in a restaurant once, for a bit. so yes i think you are a racing driver, may i have your autograph please?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Piester, if you weren't married I'd be offering you my body. You're so right, he really is a tosser of the highest order.

Just goes to show there's shite-all else on telly atm.

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Sophie, your generosity is truly legendary ! And yes, TV really is woeful at the moment.

Having looked further, I will clarify point 1.

Having failed to establish himself in countless restaurants, the Art School drop-out finally ended up managing an "events" catering company.

Posh arty type ending up in "events" ? Who'd have thought it ! ?

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

I would like to shag Valentine Warner. That is all I have to say.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

You cannot possibly come across this person by accident - based on the fact I have no idea who you're on about. Therefore, I really think you only have yourself to blame.

L
    xx

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's true Lois. I'm addicted to the anger, it's like a drug.

• spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't know who he was, so I googled. He has a very short Wikipedia entry which starts:

Valentine Warner (born 1972) is a chef. He started his television career on the BBC in Autumn 2008 with What to Eat Now, a cookery programme based on his book of the same name.

Surely that would make him a TV presenter then?

• V
    Beginner September 2005
    Viva Suzi ·
    • Hide content

Do you have to work in a restaurant to be a chef though? He did have a quite successful catering company cooking for some rather large and prestigious events - agree that he is an annoying twunt.

• G
    Beginner May 2005
    ginntonic ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

now, now, Soapy, down that road lies glass bowls & car keys ?

Anyhoo, Can I just add the only thing slightly more repulsive than Mr Warner's comping noises, is the piesters impression of the chomping noises, done in anger.

I get the mastication in stereo.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He is rather my type too, but his annoyingness is compounded by the fact that he is too much of a twunt to fancy.

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

IMHO yes, and I do acknowledge it's a minor point.

Without wanting to get bogged down in Escoffier's Brigade de cuisine definitions, I believe that in the common parlance Chef is understood to mean the head of a kitchen in a restaurant or hotel, where people may come and purchase food.

Delia and Nigella have certainly never claimed to be chef's despite also having successful careers in food writing, presenting and marketing.

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

IMHO yes, and I do acknowledge it's a minor point.

Without wanting to get bogged down in Escoffier's Brigade de cuisine definitions, I believe that in the common parlance Chef is understood to mean the head of a kitchen in a restaurant or hotel, where people may come and purchase food.

Delia and Nigella have certainly never claimed to be chef's despite also having successful careers in food writing, presenting and marketing.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

He is 100% my type, I could even put up with the annoyingness for a temporary fling (in fact, I kind of like it, although it would grate eventually). He is by all accounts a complete shagger though, so not a long term prospect.

I like all the food he does too. Mmmh, I wonder if he would make you snacks after he'd shagged you. I bet he would.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/aug/17/chefs.foodanddrink

According to this he's worked at Halcyon and Alastair Little.

• V
    Beginner September 2005
    Viva Suzi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My BIL (who is a head chef) reckons people who have been trained to cook are regarded as chefs but that training doesn't have to be in a restaurant. I don't think Nigella or Delia were trained as such so they are regarded as cooks but admit it does seem rather a vague definition.

I do have Valentine's latest book and it is actually quite good and definitely better than having to watch him on screen.

• Helen**
    Beginner March 2015
    Helen** ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha, thats exactly why he isn't my type.......my parents would love him! In fact I'll put money on it that my Dad has already brought his latest book!

• hazel
    VIP July 2007
    hazel ·
    • Hide content

Chef or no chef it's the eating that makes me mad. I gave up last night and watched University Challenge on new fangled equivalent of video (can't persuade MrH not to watch Eastenders)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics