Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner August 2012

Vegetarian needing help with honeymoon.

ILYA111002, 22 of March of 2012 at 16:10 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 12

Hello Everyone.

So, I've spent hours upon hours looking for somewhere for my partner and I to go on honeymoon. We haven't been on a holiday in years, and we're both strict vegetarians. I'm really struggling. We want to go to somewhere where this is a beach. We would have loved to go to Florida, but it'll be hurricane season, (we're getting married in August). Other places I've looked at are Greece, California, Italy, Spain etc. I'm finding places, and then I'm finding out they offer very limited vegetarian options and in some cases none at all. Are there any other vegetarians who could offer any help? I have tried googling vegetarian holidays but have still been unsuccessful in finding anything suitable.

Thanks.

12 replies

Latest activity by katzan, 28 of March of 2012 at 14:55
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Why on earth should being veggie be a problem? I'm veggie and have travelled through Malaysia, Thailand, India, Nepal, Morocco etc, etc as well as more western countries, with no problem at all Smiley smile. Actually, the places I've had to negotiate the menu with resturants most have been in continental Europe. Never in Asia/Africa.

By saying you've looked at places and seen what options there are, do you mean you've been looking at all-inclusive resorts? Maybe move away from that and give yourselves the chance to eat where local people eat. In many of the places I've been, it's been easy to find veggie food, especially in India where they actually mark a restaurant out as a "meat restaurant", otherwise you can assume it's veggie! Other places are used to Western tourists and their dietary requirements.

I can't believe California would be a problem either - plenty of hippies and celebs with specific diets. Why not book accommodation only? Or self-catering, then you can eat out or cook in a villa. If you have the budget, some traditional honeymoon destinations offer a private butler/chef if you have the budget.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

I've found America quite hard for veggieness, esp Florida, because they just don't seem to do it over there!

Spain was even harder though ☹️

Turkey is very good for veggies, so much food is veggie friendly over there. Restaurants are pretty good abroad though, if you ask to have things without meat, they usually accommodate you. Online can be a bit misleading.

We're looking to the Caribbean for our honeymoon as have heard they do a decent amount of veggie food ? India, I've heard Brazil is good too, Italy was quite good when I wenmt, but I suppose it depends on where you go. Thailand.

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

Most places in Asia are great for Veggies..... Japan,Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong etc), Middle East (Oman,UAE are both nice for honeymoons though maybe to hot in August)as there are tons of Indian expats.

Found these links if it helps

http://gogreentravelgreen.com/green-restaurant-food/10-best-countries-for-vegetarian-or-vegan-travel/

http://www.expatify.com/advice/best-countries-to-be-vegetarian.html

I would second what MrsH to be says - move away from the all inclusive and go local - much more variety - and cheaper.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

I've travelled all over I am also veggie but the only places I've every really had a problem with were France and Spain. I've been to loads of places in the Med, Middle East, Africa and Asia, Australia and always found food to eat I really don't understand why you are finding it hard to find somewhere? I never do all inclusive so maybe that's where where the problem is?

How about renting a flat or villa and making your own food?

• O
    Beginner October 2012
    orange201012 ·
    • Hide content

Cookekat - I am a veggie too and as we are getting married at the same venue, I was wondering if you have chosen/tried you wedding menu? What veggie selection did you go for?

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just post in WP your name in the title Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner January 2012
    anirudh123 ·
    • Hide content

That's not at all a matter. Prefer Asian countries for your honeymoon. Choose India because you will find real joy with your partner.

• E
    Beginner January 2013
    EThompson ·
    • Hide content

Asia is definitely where you should be looking. I went to Goa a couple of years ago and was astonished by the number of eco-friendly/veggie/organic reports and hotels. I understand that Kerala also has a good number of these. Unless you pay to stay at a Taj hotel, most accomodation is a bit more basic, but I can certainly reccomend the beaches of Patnem and Palolem for unspoilt tranquility folowed by dancing on the beach with lots of bars and restaurants. Only problem is I don't know if wheather will be a problem in August.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I've travelled all over the world and I'd agree the only places I've had problems finding veggie food are France and Spain. One time I actually had chips and posh cheese for my dinner in France.

Are you vegetarian or vegan?

If you're just vegetarian then you will find plenty of stuff to eat but I can understand why vegan is harder. Plenty of places in Asia are vegetarian friendly as many Buddhists and Hindus are vegetarian.

• S
    Beginner
    scroll ·
    • Hide content

Being vegetarian wont stop you celebrate honeymoon in your Favorited place. I think if you are following your eating rules, Dont go for it. Instead of that you could visit Asian Countries like India, Nepal. You can enjoy a lot there with veg diet

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    katzan ·
    • Hide content

California was absolutely brilliant for vegetarian food when I was in San Francisco. Honestly, you can eat really well as a vegetarian nearly anywhere in the US. (possible exception of the South, I haven't travelled there, so can't speak from experience.)

Japan is nearly impossible as a strict vegetarian, as there's fish broth in most foods. (Lived there for five years and speak & read Japanese) I found Thailand and Malaysia to be a lot easier.

Try looking for vegetarian societies in the countries you're looking at.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics