Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

xKellsBellsx
Beginner December 2012

Veggie options on wedding breakfast menu

xKellsBellsx, 23 of October of 2012 at 11:58 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hello all - please can anyone who has already designed their wedding menus please help me decide how to display the vegetarian options on my menu; I'm worried about it looking like guests have 2 options, when in reality there is only 1 non-vegetarian option and 1 vegetarian option.

Would you think it was clear enough if we wrote:

Filet of beef etc

(V) Mushroom Tart etc

This is one of those really silly little things, but I want to get it right and not confuse people! If anyone has any better suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

21 replies

Latest activity by xKellsBellsx, 24 of October of 2012 at 10:35
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I would list your main menu, then the veggie one underneath. You could title them "For the carnivores" and "For the vegetarians", that way nobody will think they have a choice?

• rachel2012
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

We done it like this

Starter

Vegetable soup

_______

Main

Sausage and mash

______

Vegetarian

Salmon etc

_______

Vegetables

______

Desset

Ice cream

Obviously it is all worded much posher than this but you get the general idea.

• xKellsBellsx
    Beginner December 2012
    xKellsBellsx ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls - you've given me food for thought...eurgh dad joke - sorry!

No, but seriously, that is really helpful - I will re-think how I word it.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Mine was worded like this (copied and pasted straight off my invite so sorry if font goes funny lol)...

Please let us know about any special dietary requirements.

~

Chicken Caesar salad with croutons and parmesan shavings

~

Roast loin of Pork, served with a lemon & thyme stuffing and creamy apple sauce, accompanied by seasonal vegetables and roast potatoes

OR Vegetarian option – Mushroom Risotto

~

White and Dark Chocolate Torte with Brandy Snap Basket

~

Followed by coffee & mints

So people knew they had to let us know if they wanted the vegetarian one and that other than that there wasn't any choices!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

At my cousin's wedding, she wrote it out as one underneath the other e.g:

Beef

Chicken

Vegetable Tart

We had a choice on the day and several people went for the vegetarian option and they ended up running out.

My sister learnt from this and put:

Chicken

Vegetable Tart (by pre-order only)

I just didn't put the vegetarian option on the menu at all. We only had one vegetarian (unless you count the one who sprung it on me on the day!) and we'd already discussed with her what she was having, so we didn't feel the need to put it on the menu.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

We listed the normal menu choices, and then put at the bottom 'Please let us know if you have any special dietary requirements or require the vegetarian option.' This meant poeple had to specifically ask for the veg option, and stopped others choosing it just because they fancied it!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Having already made a suggestion, my own choice at my wedding was for individual menu cards at each place setting. We had lots of mix and matches of veggie/non-veggie (4 combinations), so I wanted everyone to be sure what they'd ordered.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We did our meat menu first and underneath we put the vegetarian option with the word pre-ordered underneath it so they knew it was not an option. Not sure if you can see it in this picture clearly

• xKellsBellsx
    Beginner December 2012
    xKellsBellsx ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone!

JoJo - your stationary is incredible! It looks so posh! I may need to raise my game!

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Rachel

Tell me to buggar off if needed, not sure if you've already had your wedding or if you've just put this up as a general menu and it's not what is actually on the menu, but I'm veggie and just thought I'd let you know that fish isn't suitable for vegetarians. As said sorry if this is me sticking my nose in but just thought I'd give you the heads up in case on the day you have lots of veggies without a meal they can eat.

Kxx

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

I was thinking 'how is salmon vegetarian'? But then I thought maybe she knows her 'vegetarian' guests are actually pescetarian? But, yeah, I wouldn't be happy to be offered fish as a vegetarian.

Am I being dumb, I don't understand why you need to list menu options if you're not actually giving anyone a choice? Or why you're not letting non-vegetarians choose the veggie option because it's usually cheaper? From the responses it's obviously common I was just wondering why?

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Are you doing RSVP cards? You could always put on there a tickbox if they want the Vegetarian meal for the wedding?

It's not something I ever thought of as our guests have a pre-ordered choice of starter, main and pudding!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You don't have to do it, but I always find it nice to know what I'm getting. For example, if I really like the sound of the pudding, I'll make sure to leave room! If I know the starter is soup, I'll make sure to leave my bread roll to dunk!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You don't have to do it, but I always find it nice to know what I'm getting. For example, if I really like the sound of the pudding, I'll make sure to leave room! If I know the starter is soup, I'll make sure to leave my bread roll to dunk!

• rachel2012
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

Yes I'm aware that salmon is not vegetarian, The actual veggies r having nut roast the ones that just don't eat meat are having salmon.

Im putting menus on the table just do people know what to expect and also because we have r table numbers in a double sides frame do there was room for it.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's nice to know what's coming, though menus aren't totally essential. The problem with letting meat-eaters think they have a choice is that quite often the venue will only have made enough vegetarian dishes for the number of vegetarians they have been told, so if meat-eaters randomly decide on the day to pick the veggie option, some veggies won't get anything! If they can choose in advance then it's not a problem, but I have seen it cause issues at a couple of weddings.

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, I thought this was to send out with RSVPs. Now that I realise it's just for the tables on the day it makes total sense. So, yes, I was being dumb!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I'm sure people would know the mushroom tart was suitable for veggies without being told. Although we knew we only had one vegetarian attending our wedding, so we had an entirely not vegetarian menu, and just arranged with the chef to have one vegetarian meal cooked for them so rest of the guests had more choice.

• D
    Dave02 ·
    • Hide content

Hi all

Just found this forum so hope to learn and share.

I’ve been veggie for some years, so also from that experience and please do see it as critisism;

In my opinion having on the menu a description as ‘vegetarian’ is not finished is it? Maybe describe a little more? There is a whole range of vegetarian dishes, so what is main menu - ‘vegetarian’.

And yes do bare in mind more than only the veggies may decide to go for the veggie 'option', it's being done a lot in restaurants, which is why also most restaurants now fully describe veggie menus.

Good Luck ?

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok phew! I did think as much, but was umming & erring as to whether to post or not. And I thought I'd better just in case you had lots of veggies sat eating just their pudding! Sorry for sticking my nose in! ?

• rachel2012
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem what so ever, like you say better to be safe than sorry.

• xKellsBellsx
    Beginner December 2012
    xKellsBellsx ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone - yes this is for the menus on the actual tables, I should have been clearer! All the vegetarians have responded on their RSVPs that they require a vegetarian meal, I just wanted to include their meal description on the table menu too.

Thanks all!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics