Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2018

Veil confusion

Lilacbouquet, 13 of August of 2017 at 14:28 Posted on Planning 0 5

I had decided on a cathedral length blusher veil to go with my amazing ball gown wedding dress which has a chapel length train. I would like it with a blusher and nice and thin so I can see through it and it doesn't hide the detail of the back of my dress. My dress does have detailing all over it in lace and crystals.

I went to a wedding shop yesterday to try some on (without my dress which probably didn't help) and picked a plain one with tiny gems on the end, it was soft and pretty. However, my mum and the lady in the shop have said if I pick a long veil it might get snagged in the diamantés all over my dress, people will tread on it as it is long, and I would get bored of it pulling on my head all day. She also said it will cover up the detail on the back of my dress and hide it and that a long one will bulk together and not stay nice and open like the pretty pictures we see all over the Internet! The one I tried in the shop was a fingertip length and was lovely, and half the price of a cathedral length one, but I had hoped to go for a long one and get the pretty old fashioned bride/princessy look.

The place I have got my dress from weren't very good last time I went in so I'm not going to get one from there if I can help it. I did try a whole 2 veils on there with my dress on and they said a fingertip length didn't not suit the dress arghh.

A while ago another bride on this forum said she was trying to get a two piece veil so that the long layer can be removed and the second layer acts as a shorter length for the evening do. This sounds perfect but the lady in the shop said they don't come like that and a seamstress would have to unpick the veil and sew both pieces to another comb which wouldn't really work.

now I'm really confused and don't know what to go for. I have my heart set on a cathedral length but I do want a shorter one for later as the long ones are heavy after a while and buying two is rather expensive and way over my budget. Do you think they are right that it will catch on my dress and pull threads in the veil? I don't think a thin one will cover the detail too much will it? Does a long veil bulk together or does it stay spread out nicely over the dress???

5 replies

Latest activity by Lilacbouquet, 16 of August of 2017 at 08:59
  • Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Speaking from photographing 100s of weddings I can say that they are right in what they say, it will bulk together in normal use and takes time to set out nicely for the photos and the rest of the time in will bulk together and not only snag on your dress it will snag on everything else that you pass and collect twigs and leaves and flys (sorry)

And yes people do get to the stage sometimes where they have had enough of it being pulled - just by someone putting their arm around you and by the time of the meal - its a case of -"that's it its coming off ".

Again I am sorry to sound so negative but that has been my experience, perhaps I should just say that a long one takes a little more maintenance and car than a shorter one?

A fine one wont hide much detail

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

I had a cathedral length veil (single tier), and amusingly I was told it wouldn't go with my mermaid chapel length gown (so what do they go with if it isn't ball gowns or mermaids??).

Now my dress didn't have many diamates, so snagging on my dress wasn't too much of an issue for me, but it did snag on the ground as I walked. Which is fine if you're moving slowly, but if I was walking further/quick I'd pick it up. Also It meant I had a massive turning circle, if you turn too sharp the puddle of fabric will be in front of you (When we were turning to go back down the aisle everyone laughed as I kicked my veil/train behind me!).

No one trod on mine, and honestly having it pull behind me wasn't an issue. However I specifically picked my hairstyle to support the veil. I had 20" hair extensions and a tight stiff up do, the veil nestled behind the hair and was secure and supported. Be warned a half up half down do likely wouldn't support the weight well and may drag. I kept mine on until after the meal, then took it off so I could dance/move freely (I had a different dress for the evening).

Now I had the same thing from my MIL, saying it'd hide the back of dress, which it kind of did when it bunched up, but for photos it'd be posed. I also found that having a cathedral one showed the back more, as it dragged on the floor behind me, so didn't cling to me or the dress. Excuse the poor facebook photo (I've not had the official ones back), but this is what I mean:

So when walking past people can see the back as it's away from my back.

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both for your feedback.

More food for thought then I guess, I do still want a cathedral length so I think I need to play with the diamantes and see if they have claws that stick out. If I can get a half separate one then I think I will do that and make do with the catching etc then I will still have the shorter one left. I can't really wait until my first fitting as I've been told a veil takes 4-6 weeks to arrive and I'll only have around 8 weeks from the first fitting, so doesn't leave much for dithering.

Now comes the difficult bit of finding a shop that stocks a 2 piece veil!

• B
    Beginner March 2016
    BuryBride ·
    • Hide content

There's a lady with a Facebook page who makes vails to order called Pink Margaret. I've no personal experience but you could have a look and message people who do. I looked there when I was undecided. I went for a birdcage in the end. Good luck.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you want one then go for it but just be minded that they can be a little high maintenance to live in, I say "live in " because it is very different wearing it all day and manoeuvring than it is when you try it on in the confines of a shop.

Its not the claws or anything its that actual diamantes themselves that catch - its not bad and its not constant but it does happen, I have also seen pearls and the like on shoes get snagged up, but it just happens and I have never heard from a bride afterwards that she wished she never had the style.]

Get one - look beautiful - feel beautiful and laugh when you catch fly's in it and think to yourself "Bill said that would happen"

• L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will look on Facebook thank you!

Haha thanks Bill, I will certainly bear you in mind!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics