Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2016

Veil Drama

Mrs-Riley, 6 of October of 2015 at 14:24 Posted on Planning 0 8

So I have my wedding dress, safely tucked away at my future in-laws. But I understand that it's not the flashiest of wedding dresses, and was trying to think about how to make it look a little more dressy.

I did try on a veil at the ship and my sister said it looked good - but I thought it was way too much. It was a shoulder length lacy thing, which looked too gaudy with the dress. But perhaps a veil would be a good idea - I was thinking birdcage veil.

Here's my dress;

Does anyone have any experience with birdcage veils? What did you chose to clip them in with?

Accessories are the hardest to pick!

8 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 7 of October of 2015 at 16:33
  • A
    Beginner October 2015
    AlmostMrsS ·
    • Hide content

I think your dress is beautiful btw

I dont know how you are having your hair but what about something along theses lines something simple and low on the back of your head Smiley smile

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I like the pic above. I wanted a birdcage veil but h2b hates them. They have cropped up in discussion before and seem to be like marmite you love them or hate them. I'm obviously a liker. I don't think your dress has not much going on either I think it's gorgeous.

• Cache13
    Beginner August 2015
    Cache13 ·
    • Hide content

They either come with crocodile clips attached, or spaces for kirby grips to go through the ends and securely attach it to your hairstyle.

Are you wearing your hair up? Birdcage veils are much more secure this way as they can't slip out as easily.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I like that veil AlmostMrsS, but I quite like the back of my dress and think it would hide that a little.

I'm not sure how I'm having my hear yet - I think I'm going to go for a messy bun/half up half down kind of thing. I need something to frame my face as it's quite big (haha!) and I look like a cabbage patch kid when it's all away from my face.

I was thinking of a tulle birdcage veil, as opposed to one of those very netty ones - I think it would go with the top of my dress better.

I'd like to try them on, but don't really know where I'd go. I haven't got a huge budget on a veil - ideally I'd like to spend no more than £30 as I went over budget with the dress. But a lot of sites online custom make them, which means you can't return them.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I wanted to try them when I was considering. I went to two local bridal shops and neither had them. One said they never get asked for them and the other said as soon as they get them in they fly out so work that one out. I would have a ring round and go try on. Maybe ask what the shortest veils are too.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I'm thinking more and more about whether I want anything over my face. I think the tulle veils look less gaudy than the netty ones, so would probably go with something like that. Maybe a little bit like the below;

But then I wonder if this is too simple? I did see this really nice headband veil/bow, which I actually really love and thought would make it look less plain, but still keep it nice and casual for me - as I'm not a very dressy up kind of person. See below;

The only thing is, it's on an American website. Does anyone know of any stockists of this over here, or where I could find similar styles?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Both nice bit I agree top one may be a little plain if you don't put something on it but bottom one is stunning! Will keep an eye out. Could you buy a bow and add some gathered net yourself if not available here although postage surely not much. No weight. Think needs similar hair? Sorry I'm rubbish at this too lol.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

Jayne E - accessories are so stressful!

I'm also struggling to find out for definite the color shade of my dress - ivory, white - they both look the same to me! & I can't find it listed anywhere online. So it's making it harder to pick a veil and shoes, as they need to be the same shade.

I'm not sure I'd trust myself to DIY, but it might boil down to that, as the more I look at that headband, the more I like it.

Think I'd definitely have my hair that was too - just with a little more around the face in ringlets etc.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Why not have a practise. There are plenty of hair bows on a slide on ebay. Fold a piece of net and tack it on. Will give you an idea if you like it. And if you can do it. Then if need be order from America. Been googling but can't find one ready done so far. What about googling fascinator makers? Might find you can have it made for cost from America possibly?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics