Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Dedicated April 2022 Dumfries Galloway & Ayrshire

Veil or no veil

Kirsty, 16 of June of 2021 at 20:57 Posted on Planning 0 12
What’s everyone’s opinions on veils?!? I’m undecided as to whether I want one or not.

12 replies

Latest activity by Kenna, 20 of June of 2021 at 17:37
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    I’ve decided not to wear one, ive bought a beautiful vintage hair comb to wear instead.
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content

Not for me, I don't really like what it represents, the woman being revealed to her husband to be. For me that is an outdated concept so I will wear something in my hair, maybe a vintage comb as the lady above suggests.

• K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I’m of the same opinion. I told a family member I wasn’t going to wear one and they said I “must”.
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    I’m planning on wearing a single tier veil (so my face is always visible) cathedral length. For me it’s just another accessory so have bought a great value one from JJ’s house.
    Will try the full look at my final fitting so if I change my mind it’s only £33 lost.
  • AmyKate
    Savvy August 2021 Kent
    AmyKate ·
    • Hide content

I have one that im going to wear for the ceremony and photos and ill probably take it off once we sit down to eat.

I didn't think i wanted one however as soon as i tried it on with my dress it made a massive difference!

• N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    Aside from the problematic history, I don’t really get the point of them myself and think they look quite old fashioned. I did try one with my dress just to see, but I still wasn’t converted, it just didn’t feel like me.
    That being said, some are utterly beautiful items, and I hear some women saying they didn’t feel like a bride before they had a veil, that was what really got them excited about the wedding. So don’t wear one if you don’t want to, once you have your dress you can always try some on just see, you never know how you might feel then - but definitely don’t let anyone pressure you into wearing one just because *they* think it’s the “done thing”
  • MrsW
    Dedicated May 2022 South West London
    MrsW ·
    • Hide content
    I think you should try one and you will probably know straight away. My sister didn't want one, but as soon as she tried one we all agreed she looked amazing. I like them, but as soon as the lady in the shop put one on me it was a big fat no!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't even try one on - I hated the idea of having that fabric floating round my head, and since we were having a simple, small wedding, it also seemed a bit over the top.

If you don't have any strong feelings either way, I'd try on a few and see how you feel. Be prepared for a lot of pushback, especially from older family & friends if you don't have one though. I have one elderly friend who I suspect thinks my wedding wasn't even valid because I didn't wear a veil!!!

• K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone. It’s nice to see different opinions.

I have my dress so maybe I’ll order a few to try and make my decision from there.
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

In case you missed it here is a link to another discussion on the subject in January

https://forums.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/thread/veil-or-no-veil-1063639/

• K
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Bill. I hadn’t seen it as wasn’t on this forum then but I will take a look. Thank you

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics