Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner November 2012

Veil over face for ceremony... Thoughts please

Kerryd1175, 19 of April of 2012 at 07:51 Posted on Planning 0 8

I'm pondering over whether to have a single or two tier veil. I'm having one made with lace edging to match my dress and chapel length. Just not sure which tier to get... As not sure if I want to wear it over my face or not. I know this may be a bit old fashioned now (?) but I kind of like the idea...

Im also getting married in a hotel rather than church or similar, so just a bit worried it might look a bit silly in that type of ceremony...

Id love the hear people's thoughts and how many people are still planning to wear the veil this way... Thanks ladies as always! Xx

8 replies

Latest activity by Hawk, 19 of April of 2012 at 20:46
  • N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

You could have one made two tier so that you have the option, if you don't want to wear it over your face you can still have both layers at the back. For civil ceremonies I'm not sure what people usually do about veils though, might look a bit our of place but I'm not sure. If you really want to wear one then do it. I'm probably going to wear mine over my face providing it doesn't make me hot and bothered on the way to the church!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I am wearing my veil over my face - single tier and silk, not sure on length but will probably get it made to the floor, and then decide what I want from there. I'm not sure I'd bother wearing one if I wasn't planning on wearing it over my face, to be honest, I'd probably just go without. I don't think it matters if you are getting married in a hotel or a church though - what do you thinks looks the nicest? I'd go with that option.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I had a civil ceremony and had my veil over my face, there was never any question about doing it as I've always wanted to be a bride with a veil. I actually kept my veil in until about 11pm as I loved it so much.

• celo1
    Beginner May 2012
    celo1 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a two tier, cathedral length veil and will be wearing it over my face. I only intend on doing this once and as I've always wanted to do it that way I am - regardless of what is "fashionable" or considered correct for your venue its your day so go with whatever you feel happiest with. Some people dont like the feel of the veil over their face, others think it helps the nerves as provides a bit of a shield! Try it both ways and see what feels more comfortable for you.

• Miss_EmiB
    Beginner October 2013
    Miss_EmiB ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in the hotel too and I've always loved the idea of wearing the veil over my face until the point where they say 'You can now kiss the bride' and then your H2B lifts your veil to kiss you.
    I feel the same way, worrying it'll look silly as it's not really done that way anymore...
    x

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I personally don't see the point in wearing a veil if you don't wear over your face. It's only for a minute or two and they are very sheer.

The whole tradition of veils is to keep evil spirits away from the bride. Obviously this is probably a load of twaddle, but y'know if you don't wear it properly those evil spirits may get ya!

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    Sep12Bride ·
    • Hide content

I'm wearing a veil over my face too, I'm a sucker for tradition! Mine will be over my face until I get to the top of the aisle where my dad will "unveil" me, kiss me on the cheek and give my hand to my groom.

• K
    Beginner November 2012
    Kerryd1175 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your comments... I realise it is a really personal thing and everyone has a different view. I think I will get a two tier made and then try it both ways and make a decision nearer the time. I know if I get a single tier I'll only decide I want it over my face, so best to have a choice! Im leaning towards having it over my face for the whole tradition of it.. And I think it will be quite romantic when he has to life the veil up Smiley smile

• Hawk
    Beginner September 2012
    Hawk ·
    • Hide content

I'm wearing a veil and will have it over my face, much to the horror of my SIL2B who has said "it's 2012, women have equal rights and here you are wearing a veil over your face"

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics