Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

nicolajane82
Beginner April 2013

Veil over the face or not?!

nicolajane82, 7 of March of 2012 at 10:00 Posted on Planning 0 43

Hello :o)

Had a bit of a debate with my hubby to be last night....veil over the face or not?

I had mentioned that one of my bridesmaids has offered me her veil as my something borrowed and I was describing it to him and when I mentioned having it over my face walking up the aisle he burst out laughing saying thats not how you wear them! His proof was the millions of episodes of Four Weddings ive made him watch and that he had never seen that done in one of them! To be honest ive never paid that much attention to it before!

So now I'm a bit stumped ?....can you help?! Is it not the done thing anymore?

Thank you!

43 replies

Latest activity by Blonde Viki, 8 of March of 2012 at 20:07
  • lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content

I think it's entirely personal choice? In my opinion it is very traditional so it just depends on the feel of your wedding i guess?!

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

Traditionally you always wore the veil over your face. In the 90's & naughtie's this became less fasionable. Either veils were not worn at all, or more often than not they'd be placed low at the back of the hair so it would just hang down the back only. (not the greatest of pics but you see what I mean)

The veil over the face has started to become fashionable again in the past year or so, especially with celebs like Chelsea Clinton & Kate Middleton wearing theirs like that.

Plus of course now you have the very fashionable bird cage veils which also vary in style from very puffy to a little flatter; and just a bit of net, but not covering your face at all!

So basically it's whatever you feel suits you and your dress best.

Hope this helps!

• helenparki
    Beginner May 2012
    helenparki ·
    • Hide content

My veil has 2 tiers so if I want to wear it over my face then I can do. My OH said that he'd like it if I did wear it over my face but I dont know if I'd feel comfortable doing that! I'll see how I feel on the day.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Definitely a personal choice.

I'll not be wearing one over my face, given that my H2B sees the scary state of me when I wake every other morning, I figure he'd like to see my face when its all made up ?

• nicolajane82
    Beginner April 2013
    nicolajane82 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, thanks for the photos Katie! Its not something I had considered before last night to be honest, I'm not interested in being traditional or fashionable so I guess its down to how I feel! That helps greatly thank you!

Thats great that your OH said he would like it Helen, atleast he didnt laugh like mine did haha!! I think its nice to have the option of how you feel on the day and atleast you will feel relaxed that way.

Thank you both!

• nicolajane82
    Beginner April 2013
    nicolajane82 ·
    • Hide content

Haha 2b_MrsB, it would be nice for him to see you properly as you walk down the aisle and not obscured by a veil! im not sure if I want to give Andy the shock of seeing my make up all down my face because ive been crying so much? if I were to lift the veil!!

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm going to wear mine over my face because I like the tradition of it plus my face goes like a beetroot when I'm nervous!

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

My Mu is insisting I wear mine over my face! It all depends on how you want your hair too, as if youneed to wear the veil at the back of your head then obviously it wont reach over to the front and will have a big bun type thing making it look quite odd!

• E
    Beginner March 2012
    Emsypooh ·
    • Hide content

I am not wearing mine over my face as I am having a civil ceremony. I think if I was marrying in a church and a more traditional type wedding then I probably would have it over my face.

• L
    looksee ·
    • Hide content

My OH said that he'd like it if I did wear it over my face but I dont know if I'd feel comfortable doing that!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I am mostly of the opinion that if you are going to do something, do it properly, or don't do it at all.

So if you are having a veil, use it how it was designed to be used. If you aren't going to put it over your face, why even bother with one in the first place?!

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

I would say wear it over the face. I want a birdcage veil but my OH has said that veils of any kind are ridiculous. Gonna wear one anyway

• B
    Beginner April 2013
    Bridetobe13 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Duckybum. I like the idea of wearing a veil and i'm going to be wearing a veil over my face so I can surprise my OH when I'm standing next to him at the altar.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

I think if you're having a veil then it looks best over the face, otherwise there isn't much point in having one. I hate when they're just shoved at the nape of the neck for no reason.

It looks so elegant and pretty over the face, but if its quite an informal wedding it might seem a bit ott.

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. I won't be making a decision until I have my hair trial. Usually I wouldn't consider having something I wasn't going to use properly, but if the dress and overall appearance is better with a veil then I will wear one regardless of whether it can go over my face or not.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I will definitely be wearing it over my face ?

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You hate a lot of things HayleyMay (not meant in a bad way, just that I see you say it a lot!) ?

I'm undecided about this as well. I haven't ended up with the veil I thought I would have (mum preferred a longer one and it wasn't something I was really that fussed enough about to argue, since as she had a preference and I didn't, I went with what she liked) so I now can't figure out what it would look like either way. The picture in my head had always been with a short veil.

If you aren't wearing it over your face for tradition, I think they are two different 'looks' and it comes down to personal preference which you go with.

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

I love veils, but then personally i'm a traditionalist. They look great worn as they should be, and its nice, especially if getting married in a church, to wear the veil over your face, and then at the right point in the service you "fold" it back and "show" yourself to the groom as it were.

I was really pleased to see that Kate Middleton wore one at her wedding, hopefully that means they are becoming popular again.

I know its personal choice and not everyone likes or can do veils down (I know some people have an issue with things over their faces) so its down to the individual in the end

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See, I don't know what the 'right point' in the service is. To avoid that added pressure I don't think I'll be wearing it over my face. Also depends on my hair trial though and what works with my chosen hair style.

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No worries, as you've said it's personal choice in the end. No wrong or right way! ?

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Definitely over my face - I love a bit of tradition! I really like how it looks too - it made me feel like a bride, rather than someone dressed in a big white dress

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our 'fold and show' bit will be after I have walked in and reached my OH. My sister (MOH) will then 'fold' my veil back to release the beast! I think father's may also do it sometimes, but I chose my sister as I know she will fold it nicely and make sure it is hanging neatly. My dad would probably leave it all squiffed, and he is nervous enough about giving me away, I dont want to add to his stress of being able to fold a veil properly.

The other comment about hair - I'd say if you were set on a veil, you would work you hairstyle around the veil. Not pick a hairstyle, and wear your veil under-the-bun and then decide it looks silly worn properly, so you'll just let it hang instead.

Plus remember, you only wear it over your face for a couple of minutes! The rest of your day it is off your face and draping how you would like. And you only get t this day once...

And your wedding is the one day you will get to wear a veil, so wear it and use it!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I just thought:

It's like having a pair of shoes that you think are too high to wear, so you carry them round all day as part of your outfit instead of wearing them.

• warlycarly
    Beginner September 2012
    warlycarly ·
    • Hide content

When I went to my seamstress, she asked me how I was wearing my veil, so I told her I just want it at the back,

she said 'you're not having it over your face then?'

I said no I like it as it is,'

to which she replied: 'WELL, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU'RE A VIRGIN, ARE YOU?!'

I did not not know where to look!!! I was so shocked an embarrassed, HOW FLAMING RUDE!!!!

As it happens I have 2 children, so the answer to her question is 'no'.

So I am now thinking maybe traditionally you wear a veil over you face if you are a virgin??

• nicolajane82
    Beginner April 2013
    nicolajane82 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh thanks everyone for replying, lots of different opinions!!

I think im in the camp of "if you do something do it properly" so if i have a veil i would want it over my face...even if my OH does laugh at me haha!!

Ive tried to look for images online of how i want my hair (wavy and down with a hairband) with a veil and i cant find any so I think its going to have to wait til I have my hair trial before I can make a 100% decision. And work out what is more important, hair down or veil over my face!

Plus, would it look strange having my veil over my face for a civil ceremony in a hotel, should it just be something you do in a church?

Oh dear, looks like ive got loads more questions now haha?!!

Nicola x

• Hollie1984
    Beginner July 2012
    Hollie1984 ·
    • Hide content

This is something I am still thinking about. When i chose my dress it was a really hot day and i put the veil over my face and i was even hotter so put it straight back and decided I would be flustered and hot on the day as it is without the added heat!

Now I have been thinking i would quite like to have it over my face as I am getting married in a church, so i think i will see how i feel when i try it on again.

The only thing i would worry about it when i reach the end of the isle and my MOH would have to help me pull it back, is that it would get caught in my tiara and everyone would be waiting for us to untangle it ?

• nicolajane82
    Beginner April 2013
    nicolajane82 ·
    • Hide content

Im liking your thinking DuckyBum!! I think it would be nice for my dad to fold it back...although i might need a bridesmaid on hand to make it looks pretty haha!!

Jeez thats a bit rude warlycarly!! I wouldve been offended too! Hmmm I better not wear a white dress & a veil over my face or my bridesmaids will be having a right laugh at my attempts to look virgin-like!!

• Banana88
    Beginner May 2012
    Banana88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS!

I loved it when I tried it over my face in the shop. I really like the idea of my dad lifting my veil when i'm stood next to OH. To me it sort of shows his approval for us to get married.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Kate Middleton must be the prime example of hair down with veil-over-face, and she rocked that look!

With an alice band, you could place it directly behind like Kate did, or more towards the back of your head like the pics at the bottom.

You might need to click on some to make them bigger. But I just wanted to show that veils can really look good in all sorts of styles and positions! I'm sure with a bit of practice with the hairdresser, you'll find one that's right for you.

I'm am having a small civil ceremony in a windmill! But you only get married once so I am most definitely having a veil Smiley laugh

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't really think of a veil in this way at all. Shoes to me are ultimately functional, and I would find it very odd if you chose to carry them around like a handbag! But a veil to me isn't a functional item - it's just decorative and traditional. I suppose this depends on how you see it - whether it's the tradition that is in itself the function. I thought most women just have it as another pretty accessory, and choose to have it that way... but beginning to think I'm wrong!

Interesting though, I could be converted yet!

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I disagree. I think they look lovely just down the back, and when else will you get a chance to wear a veil? I won't be wearing it over my face though as I don't like the feeling of anything across my face.

I'm of the opinion if you want one, have one and wear it how you like regardless of tradition. Hands up who's wearing white or ivory who isn't exactly 'pure'? ?

• nicolajane82
    Beginner April 2013
    nicolajane82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks DuckyBum! Your searching skills are far greater than mine as I couldnt find anything ?

I had forgotten about Kate Middleton! Its nice to see that it can be done and I wont have to change what I want so that I can have a veil.

Im more and more determined to wear it over my face now, when would I ever get to do that again!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics