Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2013

Veil up or down when walking down the isle?

larsty, 27 of January of 2013 at 07:52 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked many times before but I can't find a recent discussion so I want to find out what the brides of 2012 have done and the brides of 2013 are doing :-)

I think I want to wear my veil down as I walk down the isle and have my dad unveil me when I reach my future husband before our vows. Not sure who (if anyone) does this anymore so just wondering what others are doing / have done?

Thanks!

19 replies

Latest activity by okikokikate, 4 of February of 2013 at 19:20
  • Buckinghams
    Buckinghams ·
    • Hide content

We completely forgot to lift my veil!!! Only noticed when Bri went to give me the 'you may kiss the bride kiss' ? I thought it was a bit foggy when I was saying my vows!!! lol ?

• Mrs*M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrs*M ·
    • Hide content

I'm not too sure what I'm doing yet, I think I will probably wear it down. I remember trying it on and when I had it down it just felt so special. I would lift it before vows though.

• M
    Beginner January 1998
    MrsI2Be ·
    • Hide content

I'm still trying to decide. Think I'm going to go for down as well though, and then lift it when I get to the top of the aisle with my dad.

• Buckinghams
    Buckinghams ·
    • Hide content

That's what I meant to do.. lift it when I got to the top of the aisle ? - I don't think anyone noticed though

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I was a 2011 bride & wore the veil down the aisle- so maybe for 60seconds! My brother (who gave me away) lifted it up before any vows started.

I figured I'd never be wearing a veil again so why not. I know people have associated it with a brides submission to her husband, but thats in ancient times, & I certainly didnt feel it meant that.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Do practice on the day lifiting it up & down, so you dont snag any hair clips/headband etc though.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I would do is this way and it's the classic big reveal!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I got married in April. I didn't wear my veil over my face because

a) Kind of wanted to everyone to see my lovely made-up face (thanks to MUA) as I walked down the aisle; and

b) was worried it might stick or smudge against my lip gloss; and

c) was worried I would feel a bit like I was wearing a burka!

But you should do whatever feels right for you.

Oh, and don;t ever worry about posting something here that may have been posted before. You want current opinions, rather than old stale discussions!

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

I may have worn a veil in 1997 (won't be this time), so not really current thinking, but I did the same as most of the others. It went along with the whole bride image from being a kid, you wear the veil over your face and it gets lifted by dad, or whoever gives you away, at the altar when you meet you hubby to be.

Plus I'd made it and wanted to make the most of everyone seeing the edging and beading I'd slaved over lol

• L
    Beginner September 2013
    larsty ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your replies...good idea practicing with lifting it up and down with the full make up and hair done! The last thing I want (and didn't actually think of) is it getting stuck or snagging it!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

waaaaaaah do 2011 brides not count?! [:'(]

• L
    Beginner September 2013
    larsty ·
    • Hide content

All replies helpful just said 2012/2013 brides to see if there was a different trend going on :-)

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

I'm still deciding but think down. Mainly as a barrier from guests as I walk down the aisle, I seem to think its going to protect me from any of them making me cry?!?!?!

• wishfulwhispers
    Beginner July 2013
    wishfulwhispers ·
    • Hide content

I want to wear my veil down but I worry that either i wont put it back properly before vows, or OH wont put it back properly and all the photos during vows and first kiss photos will have a messed up veil in. which would really bug me. I would trust my sister to put it back nicely, but i think that would look like an even weirder faff at the top of the aisle if she sorted it out for me

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This all concerns me too!

• EllsBells243
    Beginner March 2013
    EllsBells243 ·
    • Hide content

Think I'm gonna go for veil up, it's an elbow length too so not sure it'll fall right if I wear it over my face. Think it looks lovely down though, but like others have said don't forget to lift it when you get to your groom! Xx

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Down.

Its 60 seconds at most and looks beautiful, they do not obscure your face completely.

The problem that I think you are all having with the lifting is do not let any bloke do it. Get your Bridesmaid to do it in the way that only a woman can, also she can practice getting it over your tiara at home whereas you groom could never practice.

I have written about veils on my website with some pictures that may help you decide and imagine how you will look

• C
    Beginner July 2013
    Charlee27 ·
    • Hide content

I'm going for mine up as it messes with my hairstyle down! A bit vain but hey...I think down looks nice though esp having ur dad put it back x

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

My daughter did and it is rather a nice tradition. Up to you, you need to be comfortable with what you decide.

Lynne

• M
    Beginner May 2013
    Missusp2b ·
    • Hide content

I've decided to have it down - not only because I think it looks so lovely, but also because I blush quite easily and I think that it will be nice to kind of feel like I'm in my own bubble as I walk down the aisle.

My MIL also explained to me how on her wedding day, when her father lifted her veil and passed her over to her Husband it was such a lovely moment between the two of them and with me being such a Daddy's girl I wanted that!

x

• O
    Beginner August 2013
    okikokikate ·
    • Hide content

Veil not being sorted properly worries me too.

My nanna still to this day aftrr 50yrs of marriage hates that nobody sorted her veil out properly, I dont want that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics