Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner August 2022 Cornwall

Venue adding on a gratuity payment?

Pinkdaisy, 12 of June of 2021 at 06:55 Posted on Planning 0 11
Hello everyone

We've found a hotel venue that we love and they've sent us a contract and invoice to book it, but they've included a 10% gratuity payment, which we can remove or reduce if we want. The payment is about £500, so a lot of money! Is this normal?! Do other people tip? I'm worried if we don't pay it (or agree it pay it when the time comes to pay the balance before the wedding) all of the staff will know we didn't tip then in advance. This is all so new to us ...

11 replies

Latest activity by Pinkdaisy, 12 of June of 2021 at 10:29
  • Louise
    Rockstar March 2022 Devon
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    I've not heard of this before, It seems incredibly cheeky. I used to work at a hotel that did weddings (10+ years ago- an independent) and unless the venue kept it we as staff certainly never saw any so I assume it wasnt something they did. I know there are some places that for a meal in a restaurant of a certain number in a group they do add on gratuity but I have no actual experience of it I'm afraid. Maybe have a look online for reviews of your venue and see if its mentioned by anyone? I am a waitress so would always intend on tipping but there's a way to do it and that is in good spirits having had the experience and as a show of gratitude! Maybe just say another family member will be in charge of that part on the day. Good luck
  • P
    Pinkdaisy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your reply Louise. I did have a look at the ratings on here but I think this is something they've recently started doing and no-one else has mentioned it in their reviews. That is an idea to say someone else is covering it though, might do that. The hotel planner didn't say anything when we had our meeting but it is there in small print on the brochure. I do feel weird about it, it's a shame 😐
  • Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    I’ve worked weddings and events at hotels before and have never been tipped. I’m being paid to work that day as a waitress/server/bar tender etc and normally wouldn’t get tips let alone get tipped in advance.
    I’m sure the staff wouldn’t know as they are being paid their usual wage that day to work. If the payment goes to them it’s probably a payment in their pay like an extra £70 (random number) for working an event. If it’s optional then I reckon the staff would get a payment regardless.
    I personally wouldn’t pay it. But I don’t like paying gratuity before I’ve received the service. Maybe after the event I would then pay depending how it went.

• P
    Pinkdaisy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Emma. I'm thinking that if we did that they would probably get their tips in their pay packet and pay tax? I agree, I wouldn't like to tip someone before the service as surely that's the whole point.
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    Personally if you love the venue then I wouldn’t worry- if the gratuity was included in the base price you expected to pay and you were happy can’t see why them carving it out separately is bothering you. Unless I’ve misunderstood and the £500 is in excess of what you expected to pay.
  • P
    Pinkdaisy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, the 10% is on top of the published price for the package price, so another £500 on top.
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh that’s cheeky. I wouldn’t pay it- if the service warrants I would pay the staff directly .
  • Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yes I didn’t think of that, they would then get taxed on it!
    Maybe you could put some money aside and then on the day, after the dinner maybe, give the gratuity then.

Maybe ask them what it covers and who it goes to?is it If they have to get extra staff in to work the wedding, or is it a bonus to staff for working or even do the staff actually get it xx
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It seems weird to me to be giving a gratuity before you receive the service. If you feel the service you experience deserves an extra payment by way of acknowledgement, you can give that afterwards, but to ask for it in advance is really cheeky!

• P
    Pinkdaisy ·
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your comments so far. I had no idea if this was the normal thing to do or not, but it seems like it isn't. It would have been better if the wedding rep at the hotel had explained it but he didn't. I'm a bit funny about extra charges on things, I would have really appreciated the honesty!
  • P
    Pinkdaisy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, I might email him and ask how the money specially gets used, I'd like to know. Good idea.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics