Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

panda2011
Beginner September 2011

Venue being unhelpful, now getting stressed.

panda2011, 27 July, 2011 at 21:05 Posted on Planning 0 10

Is anyone else having trouble with their venue having a function the day before your wedding is booked? Turns out there is a big Rolls Royce function at our venue which helpfully finishes at midnight on the night before my wedding. This means that there is no space at the hotel for me to stay as we had planned & previously requested, there is no where at the hotel for me to get ready which is going to really mess the morning of my wedding up & having planned to do things like chair covers ourselves to keep costs down, we are now not going to have access to the chairs to prepare them until the morning of our wedding - despite having been told when we booked the venue that we would have no problems with anything like that! Anyone else having similar problems with their venue? I don't know what to do now as I've been back to the venue & told them that they are now making my wedding planning extremely difficult & they basically don't want to know! I appreciate they have a business to run & therefore other bookings as well as our wedding but surely it is unacceptable to mislead us into thinking that we would have access to anything we needed like chairs to put covers on the day before the wedding?? I can now see my wedding being rather naff ☹️

10 replies

Latest activity by judeclarke, 28 July, 2011 at 09:21
  • L
    Beginner January 2012
    la1510 ·
    • Hide content

Oh that sucks!!! I'm not in the same situation but know it can be a massive pain when there's something completely out of your control that goes wrong so big ? to you!

Can you maybe leave the chair covers and other bits at the venue and their wedding co-ordinator or someone around early in the morning start to set them up or at least set up other areas so there is only the chairs for you to do??

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We have a similar problem in that there's a wedding in our venue on the friday so we won't be able to get access to set anything up until about 10am on the saturday morning.

We aren't bothering with chair covers and suchlike but still have a certain amount of decor to put together - we've got a priority plan so if we do run out of time, the less important things like who sits where at each table don't get done, rather than something like putting table centrepieces together.

Frustrating yes. Anything we can do about it? Nope.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

AJ, I feel a tad better that I'm not alone! What gets me is that they promised I would have access to anything I need & have now gone back on that due to squeezing in another booking. I'm going to have to make a fuss to see if I can get the wedding co-ordinator to sort something out, if that doesn't work I'm going to have to pay someone & have my budget completely go out of the window. As it is, I'm probably going to have to pay for wedding cars now which is a couple of hundred extra pounds out of my ever decreasing budget. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Are you able to rope in a few more friends and family to help decorate?

I can't believe they won't let you have a room to get ready in though, that's really poor service

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's the option that we've plumped for Smiley smile

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

I wish I could! Most of our friends/family are coming long distances & we've got a 12.30 ceremony so not much time to get things done, especially when I'll obviously be getting attacked by hair/make up people. I can just see it all costing more to get professionals in which would have been fine if we'd had a few months notice to take the extra cost into account! So frustrating when I want to do as much myself as possible to keep costs down.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

That's such a shame when you had it all organised in your mind's eye to be different. I am in the same situ, as ours is on Sunday and I knew there would be a wedding the day/night before. However my ceremony is later so I am just hoping to gain access to the wedding breakfast room and ceremony room to set those places up, then when the other bridal party checks out of their room get into the suite to get ready. Any way you can delegate a few extra chores to bridesmaids, ushers, mum, dad etc?

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear they've let you down. A 12.30 ceremony doesn't give you much time at all. I think you should definitely make a fuss and get the wedding co-ordinator to organise the chair covers for you as an apology.

I didn't even think about the possibility of an event happening in the venue the night before the wedding! Hope this doesn't happen to us - we're decorating the whole place ourselves and have an 11am wedding ?

Beginner
    28/07/12bride ·
    • Hide content

Oh no Panda that's the last thing you need! If it comes down to it and things are needed to be done in the morning, delegate to your OH/ best man ushers etc. That way you can give them strict instructions on what to do but will be able to relax while your getting ready. My friend had a similar issue last year and the men were very busy in the morning but did a fantastic job.

Luckily for us we had the option of paying a little extra to hire the venue the day before to stop them from doing another wedding Phew!

(ps have been dancing around my bedroom in my veil lol!!)

• Cheeky_pie
    Beginner August 2011
    Cheeky_pie ·
    • Hide content

Panda My venue has weddings on every day in the month of July and August. So There is alway another wedding on the day before anyone else's. I have only heard gd things about them though and no one has been disappointed in there service. They are used to turning around a room in about 2 hours they told me. At 1st I was slightly worried like yourself that i couldn't gain access till the room until the morning before, but the company who is doing my chair covers have set up 15 other weddings there so far this summer and have put my mind at rest that the venue are excellent at what they do. So try not to panic too much as the venue will have lot of experience and your day will be amazing im sure!!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Did your venue not promise you a room as part of your package? Or did you not book one? I wouldn't worry about dressing the venue, your co-ordinator should be doing that for you, but I'd kick up a stink over your room.

I know there's a party at my venue the night before, but my co-ordinator has allocated a room where we can leave all our stuff as the centrepieces need to be put together at the venue rather than at home and then delivered. She'll set everything out according to our instructions for us.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics